Advice training for fencing

Posted by: the n3cr0p4th

Advice training for fencing - 02/19/10 01:09 PM

Hey guys, basically like the topic says, there's a Fencing tournament coming up in about 4 months that I just signed up for and I'd like some advice on how to train for it in my spare time (what sorts of exercises/drills etc.), in addition to the classes I take every week.

Right now, I just take a class every Saturday, and do a 30 minute jog/walk and a 2 minute sprint on most days when I don't have too much homework.

I've got about 6 or 7 months of experience in Saber which is what I signed up for, but I also have 2 or 3 months of experience in Foil from when I first started Fencing.

Thank you!
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Advice training for fencing - 02/19/10 03:16 PM

Unless fencing venues have changed an awful lot, you will be in action on a strip maybe four feet wide and many yards long. Practice advancing and retreating (used to be a right foot lead at all times except for lefties) to build up your speed and endurance.

By the way, will these bouts be old style with four judges and a head referee or will they be electronic, like in the Olympics?

Oh, yeah! Have fun!
Posted by: the n3cr0p4th

Re: Advice training for fencing - 02/19/10 10:31 PM

It'll all be electronic, but there'll also be a judge to make sure everything is correct and to explain the action.