New Iaido/Sil Jun Do Bup class offered in Hoboken!

Posted by: raabrashi

New Iaido/Sil Jun Do Bup class offered in Hoboken! - 04/02/09 03:22 PM

Hello everyone, I will be teaching a new sword class in Hoboken NJ on THURSDAYS at 7:00PM. The style is SIL JUN DO BUP, similar to Iaido, but focuses more directly on actual cutting. More details are below. If anyone is interested, you can email me at raabrashi@gmail.com or call me at 201.317.9517

NEW SWORD CLASS OFFERED AT MONROE STREET MOVEMENT SPACE IN HOBOKEN, NJ!

WHAT:
Monroe Movement Space will host classes of the Korean sword form Sil Jun Do Bup beginning in April 2009. The sword form, similar to the Japanese art of Iaido (Way of the Sword) literally translates at “Real Sword Training,” and focuses on the drawing and sheathing of the blade, as well as making ‘the perfect cut.’ The martial art, developed by Grand Master Jin K. Seong (7th Dan, highest rank in the United States) of the Sung Moo Kwan Kendo Academy (with schools in Dumont and East Brunswick, NJ) emphasizes development of the whole person: the mind, body, and spirit through a series of practiced motions and katas, or forms.
Sil Jun Do Bup is practiced individually (without partners) and places emphasis on safety and respect. Students begin practice with a wooden ‘practice’ sword and then graduate to a blunted “real” sword after their first promotion test when they have demonstrated an understanding of sword safety and the basic movements. In addition to the health benefits gained by studying the martial art, practitioners of Sil Jun Do Bup will develop increased reaction time and mental focus.
The class – the only of its type in the greater NY/NJ Metro area – will be taught by Raab Rashi, an instructor at the school’s Dumont location and certified blackbelt, and is appropriate for teenagers and adults. Anyone interested can attend a free introductory lesson. Classes are $240 for 12 weeks (3 months), $450 for 24 weeks (6 months), $850 for 48 weeks (1 year), in addition to the uniform ($100) and a sword ($350, to be purchased after the first promotion test). In honor of the classes’ grand opening, the school is offering 12 weeks (3 months) of classes, a uniform, and a sword for $590 – a savings of $100. Space is limited, so participants are encouraged to register early.

WHERE: Monroe Street Movement Space at 720 Monroe St. #C504 Hoboken, NJ 07030

WHEN: Classes begin Thursday, April 2nd at 7:00 PM and will continue every Thursday at 7:00 PM

HOW: Call instructor Raab Rashi at 201.317.9517 or email at raabrashi@gmail.com for more details or to sign up for class.

Master Jin K. Seong:

Grand Master Seong(7th degree black belt) is one of the very few who has risen to the top of this field worldwide. He has gained sustained national and international renown through his many victories in Kumdo competitions. He took first place in all of the following competitions: The Culture and Education Minister Cup National Kumdo Championship(1981), The National Sports Festival High School Division(1981), The Seoul Kumdo Association President’s Championship(1983), The Seoul Mayor’s Pennant Kumdo Championship(1984,1986,1989,1990,1998), and The Seoul Kumdo Association President’s Championship(1985). Further, he has repeatedly been chosen as the Seoul City Representative in many Kumdo competitions, including in1978, 1980, 1981,1985,1986,1990 and 1992.
In addition to being a Korean Kumdo Association (KKA) Technical Commitee Member and KKA Certified referee, Master Seong has also been elected a National Kumdo School Association Director by his peers in the field. He was elected Executive Director of the Korean Kumdo Association U.S.A. in 2008. He has also been invited to give Kumdo demonstrations on many national television programs in Korea and has written articles about Kumdo for the KKA news letter and was responsible for the publication of the KKA Internet site.

Raab Rashi:

Raab is an instructor of Kumdo at the Dumont location of the Sung Moo Kwan Kendo Academy and has been studying the Korean sword arts for over four years under Grand Master Jin K. Seong. He is employed full time as a Program Manager for an arts-in-education company in New York and New Jersey.

Sung Moo Kwan Kendo Academy:

Founded in the United States in 2002, Grand Master (7th Degree Black Belt) Jin K. Seong opened a kendo school in Closter, NJ after emigrating from Korea. In 2003, Master Seong opened a second school in East Brunswick, NJ. The Closter school proved to be so successful that it had to relocate to Dumont, NJ. The Kendo Academy in Dumont, NJ is the largest kendo school in the United States (a 5000 sq. ft. facility at 85 W. Madison Avenue). The premises are dedicated solely to the teaching of sword arts; including Kendo and Sil jun Do bup (real sword training). The schools offer classes six days a week for all levels of learners and all ages in Korean and in English. For more information about the Kendo Academy and a schedule of classes, go to Sung Moo Kwan Authentic Martial Arts Training or call 201.387.2200 (Dumont) or 732.254.7572 (East Brunswick).

[image]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CAAAbirDHO9ubVN-LZBHUQ?feat=directlink[/image]
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: New Iaido/Sil Jun Do Bup class offered in Hoboken! - 04/03/09 01:51 PM

This is dangerously close to being an advertisement which is strictly against forum rules, but I will let it stand unless I get complaints.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: New Iaido/Sil Jun Do Bup class offered in Hobo - 04/03/09 03:39 PM

I appreciate the information.

I just wish I lived close enough to check it out.