need insight on japanese sword arts

Posted by: shorin-ji

need insight on japanese sword arts - 03/24/09 06:38 PM

ive been wanting to find a japanese sword art to join lately.. ive been wanting to because ive seen tradition and values go out the window with most martial arts. i have about 4-5 years MA experiece in a few MAs and it seems the same... ive been to a real mcdojo that was a rediculas money grab, i went to a dojo that i enjoyed but had a lack of students which pretty well shut it self down and a kenpo gym that i liked but now i need somethig more mental then physical. i am sick and angry with seeing the prestige of MAs be completely destroyed, i see 9 year olds with black belts with a couple years under it (what a joke) and lazy instructors who let the senior students (maby a year or 2 experience) teach the newer students. i am hoping that kendo isnt as suseptable to the atrocaties that have plagued most traditional MAs. what do you have to say about this? what are your experiences with schools you have been to?
Posted by: Richard_Norris

Re: need insight on japanese sword arts - 03/24/09 06:49 PM

Well, there are national kendo federations that provide some framework for selecting reputable instruction. That should save you some trouble; there's also plenty of kendo-world.com type resources. You have good kendo there in Victoria, by the way. You can also google/e-budo for classical/koryu sword arts in you area.

Richard
Posted by: shorin-ji

Re: need insight on japanese sword arts - 03/24/09 07:05 PM

well that a relief to hear, what school would you suggest in victoria?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: need insight on japanese sword arts - 03/27/09 01:36 PM

Couldn't recommend a place based on personal experience ( I live on another continent!) but this place looks pretty good:

http://www.victoriakendo.com/instructors.html

A Sensei who learnt/faught/coached in Japan, has written physical education papers on Kendo, and who is 6th Dan in Kendo/3rd Dan Iaido... looks pretty good! In addition, they seem to hold seperate classes for children, so you shouldn't find so many baby black belts in the class.

Failing that, you might want to think about Aikido. Sword work is an essential part of Aikido, and there are sure to be many classes in your area. Might give you something more "mental" than "physical".
Posted by: karl314285

Re: need insight on japanese sword arts - 03/28/09 01:34 AM

Hi,

Prizewriter has definite good alternative in mentioning Aikido. "Even Tho" Oshima Sensei is KI Aikido, Routine practice w/ Bokken and Jo as well as Jo vs. Bokken, empty hand (Sword of No Sword) take away of Bokken, Tanto and Jo (and throws with Jo) were common parts of curriculum.

The footwork and person to person interaction (large # of variables) allowed me to learn (short 1.5 yrs as it was ) a reasonable skill level in Toyama Ryu Batto-Jitsu when the opportunity arrived.

As well as Prizewriter mentioned perhaps much more than physical technique. Aikido (federation to ki society) is a good body/mind "Time On The Mat".

-Karl. Peace.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: need insight on japanese sword arts - 03/28/09 09:26 AM

I am biting my tongue.

I started Muso Shinden Iaido in 1993 and started crosstraining in Aikido in 1994. My Aikido sensei was delighted because he believed he would now have access to an established sword art.

I could not help him because, in my case, the footwork (angles vs. straight or slightly pigeon-toed) were different. The shoulder position and motions (twisting vs. square) were different. The practice cuts (shape of arc and end of stroke) were different.

It might not bother some people, but it sure did me. I had to politely refuse.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: need insight on japanese sword arts - 03/28/09 11:16 PM

Hi, shorin-ji

Hi, iaibear, no need bite tongue(hurts and big artery there ). I'm sure a consensus of the FA Forums would elevate me from villiage Idiot to simple Idiot (skip the Savante {or is that Savate?})

We all have different experiences to share and by all means Shihan Minoru Oshima was NOT conducting an Iaido class...it was just my experience that Bokken was practiced as kiri, iai form and we also had a Tire holder (messes up the look but...it is just an expensive white oak stick) when Oshima Sensei felt us ready.

After 30ish yrs mostly under Koichi Tohei I know that what Oshima Sensei taught worked, just different that's all; and, of course He was'nt interested in teaching us Iaido, Aikido does have some experienced weapons practicioners much as some Batto schools have excellent Iaido Instructors...

The classes I attended later were also NOT Iaido but Batto-Jitsu, yeah footwork and body angles were different...BUT this would be the 3rd time (or 4th?? been hit in head too much) in a totally diverse style where, not only footwork but approach to the opponent as human and attacker was treated differently.

Maybe that Aikido Instructor was not open to variences in footwoork or hip/shoulder/spine alignment, His or Her loss.

Your good call, polite refusal is better than puttin' on 'airs'. To bite ones tongue from one experience 15 yrs ago... well at least you bite not your thumb at me 'king of cats' for I Romeo am in love with your Juliette.

-Karl. Peace. make kinda sense??