Grading in kendo

Posted by: ego

Grading in kendo - 01/21/09 08:55 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to kendo, just started 2 weeks ago, and I have a question: Is there a grading system like the belts system in karate? How does it work and how do you get every grade, through exams?

Arigato!
Posted by: Ames

Re: Grading in kendo - 01/21/09 11:57 AM

Yes, there is a dan system in place in Kendo.

I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but I know that here in Canada, you don't take an 'official' test (in front of a panel) until ikkyu. Here it generally takes about three years or regular training to get your Shodan (black belt), but two years is not out of the question. The Shodan is considered very much a beginner level though.

I would suggest asking your Sensei for more info on the particular's of your local federation, and he should be able to provide relevent information.

--Chris

Re: Grading in kendo - 01/21/09 01:12 PM

So what is the 1st grade a beginner obtains? When does this usually happen? My sensei has such a heavy Korean accent that I'm sure I won't understand her

Re: Grading in kendo - 01/21/09 01:16 PM

Like I said, I can only speak for Canada here, but as I understand it, you grade in class so to speak, up until 2nd kyu, and from there (at 1st kyu) you take a more official test.

Again, even if your Sensei has a thick accent, it is best to speak to her about this, so that you can find out the specifics of your federations protocol. Or you can tell us what federation you belong to.

--Chris

Re: Grading in kendo - 01/21/09 03:07 PM

Alright I'll try to communicate with her, lol. Usually I just imitate her movements when she teaches since I cannot understand the instructions. I wonder if anyone in the class does. Thanks anyway, you're always very helpful

Re: Grading in kendo - 01/21/09 08:31 PM

No problem.

If you find out what federation you are part of, then you can probably find the relevant information of the interweb.

--Chris