The Fencing Thread

Posted by: Prizewriter

The Fencing Thread - 10/15/08 12:12 PM

Hello all

Last year, while living up in the city, I dropped in to a fencing class. I ended up training there until I moved home again.

I enjoyed the training. It was technically complex yet simple, if that makes sense! Simple in that the movements were easy to learn, but complex in that they were hard to master and there were many sublties that I hadn't picked up on.

I found the basics of fencing to be similar to boxing, and I began to notice areas of crossover between the two.

In particular, I found the footwork very useful: Although it was usually linear, it was quite good as it trained me to move forwards and backwards quicker that I had ever learnt in any MA class.

Aside from that, it was a pretty good workout!

Has anyone else here ever fenced before?
Posted by: tsafa

Re: The Fencing Thread - 10/16/08 01:08 AM

I started off in saber fencing. The footwork gave me a foundation when I started doing historical rapier and later sword and shield. While fencing I made a point fence an equal amount of time with both my right and left hand. This paid off big dividends later on. It also began developing the idea of distance and timing.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: The Fencing Thread - 10/16/08 08:28 AM

Yes, I fenced internationally for about 13 years.

Fencing gave me the basis for all my MA training and practice.
Posted by: Armed_Man_Piker

Re: The Fencing Thread - 11/25/08 02:17 PM

Quote:

Hello all

Last year, while living up in the city, I dropped in to a fencing class. I ended up training there until I moved home again.

I enjoyed the training. It was technically complex yet simple, if that makes sense! Simple in that the movements were easy to learn, but complex in that they were hard to master and there were many sublties that I hadn't picked up on.

I found the basics of fencing to be similar to boxing, and I began to notice areas of crossover between the two.

In particular, I found the footwork very useful: Although it was usually linear, it was quite good as it trained me to move forwards and backwards quicker that I had ever learnt in any MA class.

Aside from that, it was a pretty good workout!

Has anyone else here ever fenced before?

I began fencing in 1994, and trained for many years at Bucks County Academy of Fencing (BCAF), which was then in New Hope, PA, and is now in Lambertville, NJ. It's one of the best modern fencing academies, because, while it is ostensibly a "sport" facility, maestro Mark Holbrow actually comes from something of a classical background (his maestro's maestro was Marcel Cabijos, who was also the main teacher of Frederick Rohdes, the instructor of maestro Ramon Martinez, who runs the noted classical fencing school in NYC).