Blood oaths

Posted by: bcihak

Blood oaths - 06/02/08 05:58 PM

I have a question. Would you train with an instructor who took a blood oath of the older Ryu, and then went against it. I am not looking for angry replies or accusations. I just would like to know what some people out there think on the subject and get their honest and open opinions. If possible maybe state your background and country of origin. Its not necassary, I'm just curious about the possible cultural differences as well. Thanks.
Posted by: everyone

Re: Blood oaths - 06/02/08 06:09 PM

What do you mean by "blood oath"?
Posted by: bcihak

Re: Blood oaths - 06/02/08 06:15 PM

Hello, What I mean is, for example, some of the older Japanese Ryu require you to take an oath, signed in the old days in your own blood, to follow their rules. Some still require this while others still require you to take an oath to follow their rules. If someone does this, and then decides to break the rules, for example, teach without permission, even if they are qualified to teach, would you train with them?
Posted by: everyone

Re: Blood oaths - 06/02/08 06:24 PM

If they signed their name in blood for any reason, I don't think I would train with them. There may be some mental problems to consider.

If you are asking about their integrity, they did tell you about the "blood oath", so they are at least honest. Unless of course the whole "blood oath" thing is a lie (my money is on the whole thing being a fictious story to try to impress people)
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Blood oaths - 06/02/08 07:41 PM

There are very few koryu that still require keppan (You do not sign your name in blood, that's strictly for movies). I've heard of several people that have been hamoned from their organization (thrown out and their records expunged) for various reasons. A couple of them have gone on to be respected in their own right. Others have gone on to obscurity. It all depends upon the person and their reasoning really. I know of none that have broken keppan.

Personally, I would be a little leary of anyone that says they've taken a "blood oath". To put it that way seems extremely "movie ninja-ish" to me. It sounds more like a bid for attention than honest discussion. Of course, you haven't said who you're talking about so we have no real way to judge do we.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Blood oaths - 06/03/08 12:25 AM

I do know one individual who has taken Keppan actually. He's quite sane. Well unless you count his tendency to train in a number of different martial arts and insist on doing them all pretty darn well.
Posted by: General_Neo

Re: Blood oaths - 06/03/08 06:52 AM

anyone who breaks such a bond in my opinion is not worthy to be called master..

take care,
Neo
Posted by: fatguy

Re: Blood oaths - 06/03/08 08:53 AM

Quote:

I do know one individual who has taken Keppan actually. He's quite sane. Well unless you count his tendency to train in a number of different martial arts and insist on doing them all pretty darn well.

I thought in Keppan you can only train in that art?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Blood oaths - 06/03/08 11:31 AM

fatguy

Maybe, maybe not, a keppan is often just a formal oath that you will follow the rules/tenets/etc of a given school.

Given the number of masters in JSA history that trained in more than one system before picking a "main" style, either the meaning keppan has changed over the years--or few people looked at it from that postion....or that the arts they practiced didn't use it in that manner.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Blood oaths - 06/03/08 03:50 PM

My understanding of keppan is basically just a form of an oath. What you are swearing to can vary. In some arts, you promise not to study anything else, thus keeping your studies pure. In others, you promise not to reveal the secrets of the ryu-ha to outsiders. The individual in question falls into the second group as I recall.