A question regarding sword legality in Texas.

Posted by: Iceman505

A question regarding sword legality in Texas. - 04/21/08 07:22 PM

Is it even legal? It's just for display, I'm not using it for anything. It resembles the Dragon Sword from the video game Ninja Gaiden. The blade is 27". I want to know before I decide whether to order it, or not.

Thanks.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: A question regarding sword legality in Texas. - 04/21/08 08:05 PM

Well, if it resembles the "dragon sword" from a ninja video game, chances are it's not really a sword in the sense we mean it around here but more of a wall-hanger (a cool-looking, unsharpened piece of metal in the shape of a sword, whose making doesn't involve any forging). Therefore I would tend to doubt it can be considered a weapon at all by the law, more like those gun replicas whose only use is to be displayed above the fireplace (not that you can't hurt yourself and others with such a sword: avoid swinging that thing around too much for their tang is often prone to breaking, and a blade-shaped metal missile can do some nasty stuff). Could you post a link where we could see the item? That would settle it. If you can't find one, telling us the price would give us a certain idea of the way the blade is made.

I may be mistaken about the law though, since I've never been to Texas and am perfectly clueless about its regulations. It's just that I doubt any state forbids possession of that kind of wall-hangers.

Re: A question regarding sword legality in Texas. - 04/21/08 08:30 PM

Yeah, I've done my homework on the breaking thing. I have the link on the one I want. It's cheap, and is really only going to sit there.

http://www.thecollectorsedge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CE%2D430
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: A question regarding sword legality in Texas. - 04/21/08 08:57 PM

Yes, wallhangers are legal. So are genuine training blades and collectors items. You don't want to walk around the streets with one, but there's nothing wrong with owning, displaying or transporting one from one location to another(like from home to a training facility). When transporting it you should keep it contained in a proper sword bag, or some other kind of container that makes the sword inaccessible. It would be best to keep it in the trunk of the car during transport. That way it would be difficult for a cop in a traffic stop to argue that you had the sword out ready for use as a weapon.

Re: A question regarding sword legality in Texas. - 04/22/08 12:56 AM

Thanks a ton guys.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: A question regarding sword legality in Texas. - 04/22/08 03:44 AM

Now that I can follow the link, it looks like a classic example of a wallhanger alright.