Shin Shin Ryu

Posted by: fatguy

Shin Shin Ryu - 01/13/08 11:14 PM

Once again, I have hit a snag in my ability to look stuff up on google and humbly request an answer from the more experienced (ie most of you reading):

anyone ever heard of "Shin Shin Sekiguichi Ryu" I am interested in its history, I found it on THIS site . I am familiar with Toyama-ryu but am also unfamiliar with Nakamura-ryu. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Shin Shin Ryu - 01/14/08 01:27 AM

If he doens't chine in, try PMing Dave Drawdy user SOCHO for info on Nakamura Ryu.

You should not have trouble finding info on the style. It was created by Nakamura Sensei who was one of the greatest teachers of Toyama Ryu. If you can find a qualified teacher of either Toyama or Nakamura Ryu you will benefit greatly from the training.

I have experience in dealing with the Sekiguchi Ryu people and have nothing good to say. you'd be better off staying far away from this group.

Re: Shin Shin Ryu - 01/14/08 02:36 AM

Also, check your PM
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Shin Shin Ryu - 01/14/08 07:35 AM

Jim's opinion of Sekiguchi Ryu not withstanding, the group and it's leaders are held in fairly high esteem by other members of the Budo community.

Jim I would ask you not to bring that argument to this forum. I know your feelings on the matter, but you know that what I said above is true. While you personally have had problems with the Sekiguchi Ryu folks, their reputation amoungst the larger budo community stateside is really about as good as it gets.

To the original poster, not many folks on this forum have a lot of first hand experience with the Sekiguchi folks. A few do though. Dave Drawdy-sensei(Socho) does. You might want to retry this query over at http://www.e-budo.com and http://www.swordforum.com A search of the archives at those two forum sites would also prove fruitful.

Re: Shin Shin Ryu - 01/14/08 08:18 AM

Giving The true history of an organization and it's leadership is not "an argument". And I would hardly call a handfull of schools the "larger budo community".

If people aren't allowed to tell the truth when a question is asked then just ban certain kinds of questions such as this one.

While you're on e-budo, read the threads on Jerry Durant and the Goshinjutsu Kyojujo that I mentioned in the PM and you'll get the history and foundation of the Mizu Hikobukai.

I won't be re-starting that thread here.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Shin Shin Ryu - 01/14/08 04:46 PM

Quote:

I won't be re-starting that thread here.

That's all I'm asking.
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Shin Shin Ryu - 01/17/08 04:52 PM

Quote:

anyone ever heard of "Shin Shin Sekiguichi Ryu" I am interested in its history, I found it on THIS site . I am familiar with Toyama-ryu but am also unfamiliar with Nakamura-ryu. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Shin Shin Sekiguchi ryu is a koryu. A number of years ago, the jujutsu and sword sides of the art became seperated. Shin Shin ryu iaijutsu is the branch of Sekiguchi ryu sword art that is headed by Yamada Yoshitaka. It is louder and more athletic than most of the remaining Japanese sword arts. Here is a clip of Sekiguchi ryu from an enbu at Atsuta Jinja in Nagoya Japan. It demonstrates the jumping foot switch (tobiichigai) and peculiar kiai which are hallmarks of Sekiguchi ryu.

Nakamura Taizaburo was one of three instructors instrumental in forming the original Toyama gunto soho, or military sword techniques, that were taught to the Japanese military. There are three seperate lines of Toyama ryu, one from each of these original instructors. Nakamura sensei decided that Toyama ryu by itself was not sufficient to teach all of the concepts that he wished to pass to his students, so he created Nakamura ryu. Toyama ryu is a part of Nakamura ryu, but much has been added to it. Following the death of Nakamura sensei a couple of years ago, Nakamura ryu is now run by the International Battodo Federation in Japan.

Hope that helps some.