Shinto ryu kenjutsu question

Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Shinto ryu kenjutsu question - 10/08/07 05:15 PM

I found this clip on youtube shinto ryu I attended a seminar that covered the twelve Shinto ryu katas. I asked if that was it, because it seems like that is a small amount of kata's to represent an entire system. So I was curious if anyone here knew anything regarding it. Whether if there was other kata's of the system and were they were lost or what happened?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Shinto ryu kenjutsu question - 10/09/07 10:47 PM

Josh

I'm assumeing you mean Tenshin Shodan Katori Shinto Ryu???

(Didn't look at the whole clip---just the first couple of sections)

If so there are probably more than 12 kata---what your looking at are the SOME of the sword kata.
The have a whole raft of kata, including those for bo, naginata, spear, 2 sword, short sword, iai-jutsu, etc.

Nobody demonstrates their whole ryus curricumlum on youtube.

Where did you attend the seminer?
Posted by: A.J. Bryant

Re: Shinto ryu kenjutsu question - 10/10/07 09:24 AM

This is not Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu, it’s Kasumi Shinto-ryu, or simply "Shinto-ryu", the kenjutsu of Shinto Muso-ryu Jo. There are only 12 kata to my knowledge (8 odachi and 4 kodachi).

KSR is a small auxiliary ryuha incorporated into SMR much like Uchida-ryu Tanjo and Ikkaku-ryu Jutte, etc. The origin is unknown, but is thought to have been created by Gonnosuke, the founder of SMR, or possibly some other people he studied with. Or, in other words, unlike some of the other auxiliary arts, it has been in the ryu for a very long time.

I’m assuming you learned these through the Jikishin-kai? If so, that makes sense as Shimabukuro sensei also teaches SMR Jo.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Shinto ryu kenjutsu question - 10/10/07 04:56 PM

Joshua please. Thanks for the responses. I attended the seminar in Gardnerville NV through a Jikishin Kai instructor. That makes alot of sense A.J. and that corresponds with some other stuff I have read.
And I do know that people don't put all of their secrets on youtube
Posted by: ErikTracy

Re: Shinto ryu kenjutsu question - 10/12/07 12:31 AM

Quote:

This is not Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu, it’s Kasumi Shinto-ryu, or simply "Shinto-ryu", the kenjutsu of Shinto Muso-ryu Jo. There are only 12 kata to my knowledge (8 odachi and 4 kodachi).

KSR is a small auxiliary ryuha incorporated into SMR much like Uchida-ryu Tanjo and Ikkaku-ryu Jutte, etc. The origin is unknown, but is thought to have been created by Gonnosuke, the founder of SMR, or possibly some other people he studied with. Or, in other words, unlike some of the other auxiliary arts, it has been in the ryu for a very long time.

I’m assuming you learned these through the Jikishin-kai? If so, that makes sense as Shimabukuro sensei also teaches SMR Jo.

Hope this helps.

You got that one nailed!

This is indeed Shinto-ryu kenjutsu as the 'adjunct' to Shindo Muso-ryu Jodo (Kenjutsu) -as we practice them in the Jikishin-kai.

The techniques being performed are:
1) Aisun Migi
2) Chibarai
3) Sarin
4) Ukenagashi
5) Surikomi

Good stuff.

Regards,
Erik Tracy
JKI
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Shinto ryu kenjutsu question - 11/08/07 01:18 PM

SMR was founded a over 150+ years AFTER KSR.

KSR is one of the oldest known sword schools to NOT have changed their curicculum. What was taught 500+ years ago is still being taught to those attending the shrine today.

I had to the privelege to attend (and be corrected by) a KSR seminar led by Yukihiro Sugino sensei in Montreal/Sherebrooke/Quebec City in 2006, and a smaller clinic taught by Sozen L. Kusano sensei earlier this year.

While it was amazing to be personally corrected by a living legend, Sozen Sensei's clinic was so much more informative because there wasn't an language barrier, and the class size was limited to 20.

We covered itsutsu no tachi, nanatsu no tachi and kasumi no tachi, as well as iaido and how to properly draw and resheath the sword. I mean, beyond the observe and imitate, but everything from breaking down the openings from hakama sabaki and obi sabaki, to what is said/thought during obi sabaki, to how much pressure should be exerted between the thumb and forefinger when drawing and resheathing. Truly, truly amazing to have that kind of instruction from one of the last direct disciples of Master Sugino Yoshio sensei.

For those fortunate to have the KSR DVD, but not sure who Sozen sensei is, he is the anglo-saxon student and is married to the only female student shown on the DVD.

If you're close to the Toronto area, there's a school dedicated to teaching KSR http://tokumeikan.com/home.htm

Also, the KSR DVD has minute, subtle and very intentional errors, for obvious (or maybe not so obvious) reasons.
Posted by: A.J. Bryant

Re: Shinto ryu kenjutsu question - 11/08/07 05:14 PM

This thread is actually about Kasumi Shinto-ryu, not Katori Shinto-ryu... That's the problem with using acronyms sometimes. Glad you had a great training experience in TSKSR though.