Do you name your sword?

Posted by: jpoor

Do you name your sword? - 08/05/07 04:28 PM

If so, how did you come up with the name?
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/05/07 05:08 PM

My first iaito I named Utau Shizukani. Misspelled over the years. It meant Sings Softly, because it did. It and its successors Nihonmei and Sanbonmei (2nd and 3rd long ones), succumbed to metal fatigue right in front of the tsuba.

My sensi suggested upping the quality. Yohonmei has been singing beautifully for ten years.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/05/07 10:22 PM

No.

I usually refer to it as my sword. Sometimes, my shinken or my iaito depending on which one we're talking about.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/05/07 10:35 PM

Why not name your sword Pecker-One and Pecker_Two?

MA Zen Book: "Ronin" (ISBN-10: 0804834148, ISBN-13: 978-0804834148)
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/06/07 05:36 PM

Yes.
My iaito is named "My Iaito". My shinken are named "My Cutting Sword" and "My Regular Sword". Oh, I almost forgot "My Wakizashi" and "My Tanto".
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/06/07 06:25 PM

I just KNEW I should have done a poll
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/08/07 11:34 AM

I guess I'm a geek then.

My rapier is Fatala, from the Latin fatalus, meaning fated or destined (not fatal, but that gets the same response).

My big knife, I call Shiney. It's shiney.
Posted by: Halley

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/10/07 09:16 AM

I suspect that many or most iaidoka don't bother, especially after they've gotten some experience. But when I was considering my first iaito, I admit to having a geeky moment to make that iaito special to me.

I named mine 'tate-ita ni mizu', a four-character idiom in Japanese which literally means 'to flow like water down a post'. It refers to someone babbling (just as I probably am in this post) or speaking quickly. I intended it to refer more positively to 'gaining fluidity' as I wanted to gain confidence and fluidity in both Japanese sword skill, iaido, and Japanese language skill, nihongo.

So the sword itself is a blue-summer-beach theme, with crabs and sea birds, and a waving water texture on the black saya lacquer. I used some black obi silk with a wave motif to make a sword bag for it.

I have no idea if I would name a second iaito. I would probably still put as much thought into a unifying theme and attractiveness, though. It's a practice tool, but it's also a memento that represents my journey.

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/10/07 09:39 AM

Hello Halley. Haven't seen you on in awhile. Welcome back. Sorry to hear about Davis-sensei. I don't know if you ever had a chance to train under him, but if you didn't, you really missed out.

BTW. The dates for the 7th US Iaido Embukai have been posted on the MJER forums.
Posted by: PrimeUniversa69

Re: Do you name your sword? - 08/31/07 01:04 PM

I named my saber saphire.And my broadsword ic alled the sword of darkness.Wants I have a Japanese sword customized for my size,I call it the Toushou because it bites you in cold blood.

Re: Do you name your sword? - 10/03/07 12:26 PM

Mine is called the Reapersbane.Long story.

Re: Do you name your sword? - 10/03/07 12:53 PM

So which is it?

Re: Do you name your sword? - 10/04/07 06:09 PM

Who me?Or someone else?if me then its callled the reapersbane.I said long story because its a long story on how it got that name.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Do you name your sword? - 10/04/07 06:38 PM

I've only ever named one sword: a wakasashi - it's the only one of my swords to ever taste my own blood.

Khazid'hea , also known as "the cutter"- cuz it has a mind of it's own and it's thirsty.

Sorry, I love that series.
Posted by: splice

Re: Do you name your sword? - 10/05/07 10:50 AM

Quote:

Who me?Or someone else?if me then its callled the reapersbane.

Probably you because the message right before your "I call my sword Reapersbane" is another by you that says:

Quote:

I named my saber saphire.And my broadsword ic alled the sword of darkness.Wants I have a Japanese sword customized for my size,I call it the Toushou because it bites you in cold blood.

And so I'm on topic, I name my two iaito "the older one" and "the newer one". I don't really fantasize about them...
Posted by: Abarai

Re: Do you name your sword? - 11/28/07 08:10 PM

My shinken is named Sazanami because her bite is abrupt like the ripple disturbing the water.

Only once has her blade ever kissed my hand (because I was saving her when she fell from a novice's hands and I could only grab the blade to prevent her drop) and now she is the extension of my hand. The extension of my biting fangs.
Posted by: BrianS

Good names for swords - 11/28/07 11:22 PM

Good names for swords...

Never used.
Butterknife.
Sharp metal thingy.
Dust collector.
Poohbutt.
Segal, the Steven type.
Sword Norris.
Sharp Van Damme.
Mr. Sword.
Mr. Not Sword.
Rubbermaid.
FA.com Sword.
Swordshido.
Sword F.U.
Tae Sword Do.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Good names for swords - 11/29/07 12:17 AM

Brian

Since all the good ones like "Glamdring" and "Exclaiber" or "Beard Cutter" were already taken.......I think I'm going to go with "taxman."

You can't can't escape the taxman.

They get you everytime you buy something

They get you with stuff you already OWN.

They get you when you die

And after your dead--they get your kids/grandkids etc.

Not all that prosaic--but really scary.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Good names for swords - 11/29/07 12:56 PM

Mr Pointy (My son's practice blade)

Windshear

Disarmer
Posted by: kaien

Re: Good names for swords - 11/29/07 01:58 PM

One of them is named Phil Rogers, and the other is named Steve Donaldson
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: Do you name your sword? - 12/05/07 10:16 PM

My sword instructor is actually what i suppose you'd call a devout follower of Wicca. Not to make him sound like a madman, but he's also a big believer in spiritism, and believes that when you devote(or if you're going to) so much of your own time and energy to something as multi-faceted as martial art training with a weapon, you should at least pay your respects to it by not simply "naming" it, but listening for it to tell you it's name. Judge as you like, of course.

On that note, I have managed to "name" a Shinken I have never used but recieved upon my promotoion to black belt as a gift from my sensei at the time, and a woodne practice iaito. The first is Ryumo Hozukimaru(Dragon's crest Light of Void) and Cutting Wind(Forgot the Japanese name). Working on naming a Shirasaya Iaito, I suppose.

I mean it could seem like an odd and frivolous thing to do nowadays, but for myself it's a reflection of the fact that my kenjutsu work is a meditation. I am trying to get in touch with my inner self, so why not forge a bit more of a connection to that which I use to help establish that awreness, I say. Or maybe I'm just nutz.
Posted by: PsychoDave

Re: Good names for swords - 12/06/07 04:41 PM

Taxman, love it!! LOL Mr. Pointy is great too!!!
Posted by: aeclark82

Re: Good names for swords - 12/27/07 02:17 PM

Why not take a page from the great movie Pulp Fiction and name it your "Bad Mother****er"?
Posted by: Panzerhaust

Re: Good names for swords - 12/27/07 02:42 PM

I named my first iaito Raiju, after the legendary Japanese thunder beast, who is the companion of Raiden, the Shinto god of lightning.

Panzerhaust
Posted by: MiyamotoTsukasa

Re: Do you name your sword? - 01/16/08 01:45 AM

My first ninja sword has the name Suishou Gekkou, Crystal Moonlight. An ebony grain handle, and sleek blade to go with it.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Do you name your sword? - 01/16/08 08:00 AM

Mine came with a name. 'K.A.E.O.'

Question for those that do name their...tools. Don't you find it a bit, anthropomorphic, to name 'things'?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Do you name your sword? - 01/16/08 01:46 PM

it could be just a 'phallacy'.
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: Good names for swords - 02/04/08 04:52 PM

this is funny because i was thinking just the other day what to name my practice sword.

Re: Good names for swords - 02/04/08 05:04 PM

Heard one of the younger guys in my class calling his iaito by name the other day. After I explained to him that learning the Japanese sword arts was a serious endeavour and not a class for "samurai/anime/ninja wannabes", he promised to not call his sword by name in the future.

In my mind, making up names for your sword when you've just begun practicing, or worse when you aren't actually practicing, is very much akin to writing the title to your PHd thesis the first week you enter college. It's a little bit premature and a whole lot foolishly arrogant and pretentious.

Just my opinion though.

Re: Good names for swords - 02/04/08 08:50 PM

I agree. From what I've gathered from a few years of reading multiple forums. The old timers and experienced types consider it very pretentious and just plain silly when new students and non-students start calling their swords by name. More experieced students pretty much know not to do such things.

NOTE: This experience comes only from the JSA world. As far as I know it's perfectly acceptable and normal practice in other types of swordsmanship.

Re: Good names for swords - 02/05/08 12:17 PM

Quote:

NOTE: This experience comes only from the JSA world. As far as I know it's perfectly acceptable and normal practice in other types of swordsmanship.

Good caveat there Charles, thanks. I forget that this forum encompasses all different sword arts.

Re: Good names for swords - 02/05/08 01:05 PM

Yeah me too. I had to come back and edit that into the post after the fact. It's easy to forget when your on as many other JSA only forums as we are.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Good names for swords - 02/05/08 01:10 PM

I have never even considered naming my sword, isn't encouraged or mentioned where I train at all. It has always been just a tool to be used.
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: Good names for swords - 02/05/08 03:36 PM

Wooden scarab, although technically it's a peice of a debarked fir pole with electrical tape as a grip (it's smoothed nicely over the years), as opposed to a sword
Posted by: Halley

Re: Good names for swords - 02/05/08 03:54 PM

Quote:

Wooden scarab, although technically it's a peice of a debarked fir pole with electrical tape as a grip (it's smoothed nicely over the years), as opposed to a sword

This is the point in the dialogue where the older characters look at each other, and say, "ah, wakai, ne?" (Translation: Oh can you remember so far back to what it felt like to be so young and carefree and totally and inexplicably random?)

I already chimed into this thread some time ago, but I'd like to distinguish "coming up with a name" and "calling my sword by name." It really would be silly to refer to the iaito by a name, verbally, while in the dojo. It even sounds silly when the movie characters invoke their magical swords by name. However, I think there's no harm in thinking about a given item using a mental shorthand or a nickname, especially if someone has more than one. A JSA sword historically springs from a personal issue weapon, an object that a man wore every day in official capacity. Some are historical national treasures of Japan. Anything so personal or so famous was bound to have a name attached. It would be a bit over the top to yell "zabimaru!" in the dojo, but don't get carried away on the impersonal inhuman side either, and say that it's categorically total rubbish.

Re: Good names for swords - 02/05/08 04:26 PM

I made it a decade ago ^.^ I don't use it for fighting just as a tool during excersize, That's jsut what I called it when I warped into a funky shape that at the time reminded me of an arab sword I'd seen at a shop that's long since closed down. Right around then I started drawing swords (like so many a nerd before me)

It feels better to have a name for your blade/stick, the whole "i'm an individual" rant and so on. I just use it for practice (not for sparring, I like it alot and I know it would break, now it's about 2 1/2 feet long, but It used to be four when I first cut down the tree (alot of very tall, fairly strong and oddly thin trees around here) and carved it

Re: Good names for swords - 02/06/08 01:10 PM

Individuality is not a treasured trait in the JSAs. In JSA training, you strive to become like your instructor. To mimic every detail to the finest degree you can manage. Later, much much later, in your training there is room for personal interpretation. These interpretations tend to be very subtle variations on the original theme.

Re: Good names for swords - 02/06/08 03:08 PM

A detail I didn't know when I was seven
Posted by: seibukanUK

Re: Good names for swords - 02/07/08 07:53 AM

I don't name my swords, however sometimes I name my cutting mats things like Charles etc

Re: Good names for swords - 02/07/08 08:46 AM

:P
Posted by: seibukanUK

Re: Good names for swords - 02/07/08 09:22 AM

___ . . ___ |
/\#/\ . .:. /_\ `* |.===.
/(o o)\ o o): . (o o) {}o o{}
ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-ooO--(_)--Ooo-