A newbie again

Posted by: Borrek

A newbie again - 05/10/07 10:48 PM

So after getting settled in my new house in Ann Arbor I've decided to give iaido a try. Monday is my first class and I'm heading to this dojo: http://www.japanesemartialartscenter.com/

I've gotta say I'm a bit nervous about going an entirely new direction. I spent over 20 years as a karateka so I have a lot of old habits to alter. How did you guys get started in iaido? Do you guys remember what you were thinking right before your first class? Any advice on making an easy transition?
Posted by: fatguy

Re: A newbie again - 05/10/07 11:31 PM

From what I understand Suino sensei has a very good reputation so you should be in very good hands.

Quote:

How did you guys get started in iaido? Do you guys remember what you were thinking right before your first class? Any advice on making an easy transition?

I was working in a restaurant my boss asked me if I wanted to try out a sword class. At the time I was 16 so playing with swords was all I knew or cared about.. I actually enjoyed a lot more when I got there and found out what it really was.

My only advice for a karateka going to iaido is maybe the stances.. I believe you would be used to a deeper stance than what iaido uses. At least thats what i notice from new people coming into the dojo from some open hand form.

[on a side note] I may be joining you soon. My plans are currently to attend UofM within the next year or so and that is the dojo i have in mind to train in. So I expect a full report of your thoughts.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: A newbie again - 05/10/07 11:51 PM

Excellent! hopefully things work out and you make it to UofM. I observed a class this week and I liked what I saw but youre definitely right about the stances. Also in every karate stance the back heel is planted to allow for the core twisting during punching, I noticed this is not the case in iaido stances. Shoot me a PM when you get to Ann Arbor and I'll give you a report of what I've learned over the coming months
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: A newbie again - 05/11/07 09:33 AM

I think you will want to start over from scratch. Keep an open mind. Expect things to be radically different, and don't expect to have everything explained. Just go with it. They why's behind the wierdness become self evident in time.

For kirioroshi, the standard downward straight ahead cut, the heel is up, no twisting of the hips is desirable. The goal is to generate a great deal of forward force through the sword. It will all be clear eventually. MJER is an extremely well reasoned art. When done well, it is very much devoid of wasted and inefficient movements.
Posted by: Ian_Johnson

Re: A newbie again - 06/26/07 07:24 PM

I completely agree with Charles' advice.

I also came from a karate background. Iaido is a very different experience, for sure. I hope you are enjoying your classes, and just remember the idea of "beginner's mind" that's so common in martial arts and zen.

BTW, what style of karate did/do you study? I'm in Wado-Ryu, under WIKF and Tatsuo Suzuki.