Sword Quality

Posted by: xc279

Sword Quality - 03/01/07 05:00 PM

How high of qualityis this sword? http://www.militarysabers.com/navy-premium-sword.html
Posted by: WarblyDoo

Re: Sword Quality - 03/01/07 07:07 PM

As soon as you see stainless steel blade your mind should scream wall hanger. It looks pretty, swing it or strike anything with it and it will break.

Move allong nothing to see here.

Posted by: mercierarmory

Re: Sword Quality - 03/01/07 10:59 PM

XC279, please ignore the first response, and his "move along nothing to see here comment". Apparently he has no knowledge of the supplier and their history.
Marlow White is the premier supplier of swords for the US Military. Their swords are highly regarded by the Armed Forces and I could not recommend a better sword provided you are not intending to use it for any contact. These are beautiful ceremony weapons, not functional. As you see from the website they provide for all the branches as well as provide uniforms as well.

I have been wanting one of their M1840 Army NCO swords to use since I am currently in the Army. The next best thing would to buy an original since they aren't that much more expensive depending on condition.

If you decide to purchase one, please post pictures!

Good luck!
Mike
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Sword Quality - 03/02/07 09:29 AM

As this is a Martial Arts forum and not a collectors forum, Warbly's response was reasonable. He did not say anything substantively different from what you said. It's a wallhanger and don't hit anything with it. The move along comment clearly stems from the assumption that the original poster wanted a training tool. With that assumption in mind the sword in question is not appropriate for any form of contact.

I'm sure that as a reproduction/display piece/wall hanger the sword is just dandy.

Re: Sword Quality - 03/02/07 04:34 PM

Army guy. Very impressive, maybe you should move to an army forum. When somebody asks me about the quality of a weapon I respond regarding its quality as a weapon. Those swords are very pretty and might be terrific ceremonial items but that does not make them quality. I have no problem with wall hangers I have a few of my own but the rat tail tangs and the stainless steal blades preclude them from being considered any sort of quality. Flame me all you want but as a Martial Artist on a Martial Arts forum I will continue to answer peoples' questions of quality regarding the value of items in regards to their usefullness in Martial Arts.

Here is a perfect example of a high quality stainless steel blade. (One which ironically I have sitting in my basement) Google video

Have a nice day Mike

Re: Sword Quality - 03/02/07 04:52 PM

WarblyDoo, if you would like to fire back, please make sure that you are firing back and not firing first. MercierArmory was not attacking you in any way. He even acknowledged your assertion that they are not practical for any other form of use other than cermonial uses.

BTW. I know a few folks in the Vancouver area. Where are you training up there?

Re: Sword Quality - 03/02/07 05:11 PM

When someone says to disregard what I say out of hand and implies that I am just talking for the sake of talking whether verbally or through an emote ( ) I consider that firing first. Though I really don't want to be a part of any flame war and I can see you only want to keep the peace and hence will leave it at that.

I train at Simon Fraser University in Modern Arnis.

Re: Sword Quality - 03/02/07 09:00 PM

Thank you for your cooperation. At the risk of being annoying, he didn't actually dismiss your comments out of hand. He dismissed them, asserted that you did not know much about the supplier(was he wrong?), and then went on to explain that while you were correct regarding the nature of stainless steel, you were incorrect that these particular swords were completely worthless. The use of the emoticon was unfortunate, but other than that his post was not particularly disrespectful.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Sword Quality - 03/03/07 12:41 PM

Quote:

the rat tail tangs

OMG!