sword arts info

Posted by: theslasher

sword arts info - 10/12/06 09:59 PM

i'd like to know about some good sword martial arts that i can practice at home with wooden/foam swords that i can also buy a book to help me learn more about how to master it.
also it is important that i be capable of doing it, me being 16.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: sword arts info - 10/12/06 10:50 PM

Please refer to the post at the top of the forum named "Forum rules: All should read. This means you." In particular, the paragraph named "Addition 1".

If you tell us where you are located, perhaps we can help you find a training oppurtunity in your area.
Posted by: mercierarmory

Re: sword arts info - 10/13/06 07:05 AM

There are plenty of arts that you can use wasters or boffer weapons to train, but there are no books that will help anyone master anything. That takes time, patience and a willingness to physically train from an experiened teacher. A book cannot show you specifically how to perform something.

Mike
Posted by: V34

Re: sword arts info - 10/13/06 10:17 AM

Quote:

i'd like to know about some good sword martial arts that i can practice at home with wooden/foam swords that i can also buy a book to help me learn more about how to master it.

PLEASE, don't learn from a DVD or a book. Take my advice
I am saying this with my own experiences. Find a recommended
dojo and train very hard. You will learn that just holding
a katana properly takes work never mind, footwork, noto,
cutting angles, body posture, ediquet (hope I spelled it right). Am many more little things that DVD's and books
really can't teach you. I'm not being critical just giving
my own personal experiences.

Good Luck,
V.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: sword arts info - 10/13/06 03:28 PM

I've seen people try to learn things from being told and shown. No matter how attentive they are in class, they always overextend their knee during a lunge (a good way to wear it out and break it). They don't even know it until I hold a foil up to their leg like a plumb line. No matter how many times I tell them to extend with the hand straight out from the shoulder and aim with their fingers (reduces arm hits and makes it harder for them to tell your target), they always start out by straightening their arm right for their target. When I give them my "what are you doing?" look, I always get the "What? I'm doing it right" response. Every class I have ever taught or helped teach, I have emphasized that you push their blade out in a circle parry, not down into your leg. Every time, I hear cries of "OWWWW" as tips dig into thighs from a misdone parry. Then, they do it again and again until I come over and hit them over the head with my foil.

Note a pattern? They mess up and don't know that they are doing it. This is a very common thing. You can't see yourself properly, even in a full length mirror. You simply don't know what to look for. You don't have the instructor's eyes that can tell that you are leaning on your back foot or that your hips are swaying. Also, any questions that you have will have to remain unanswered.

The only people who learn from books well are those with prior training who are trying to ressurect a forgotten art together (like Mercier here). They know what will hurt their knees or expose their arms. Thus, they can correctly interpret the drawings and text (descriptions can be woefully incomplete. You've seen how much text I used simply to describe the most basic of problems. Do you even want me to list all of them?). They also can correct each other and find the best meaning. Even then, I am loath to recommend anyone due to the sheer problems of learning without a teacher.

Now, do you understand where we are coming from?
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: sword arts info - 10/13/06 05:19 PM

Quote:

The book is out of print and so very expensive. However, there is an awful lot of information including basic stances, movements, and scoring on their web site. There are also videos that you can learn from.
http://www.internationalsportschanbara.net/index2.html