Making a wooden tanto

Posted by: Sarkanthos

Making a wooden tanto - 09/21/06 01:46 PM

I allready posted this in the martial arts talk forum, but they told me to put it here... so... I really want a purpleheart wooden tanto, but I cannot find one anywhere. I know where to get the wood, but can someone please help me find some sort of guide to making a wooden training tanto? I know it's really simple and all, but my woodworking skills aren't all that great and I don't want to screw up a good peice of wood. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Making a wooden tanto - 09/21/06 03:19 PM

Can't tell you how to make one, but I can tell you where to buy one. Try here ... http://www.woodensteel.com/tanto-wood-training-sword-p-37.html
Or here ...
http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_bokuto.htm

Hope that helps!
Posted by: Sarkanthos

Re: Making a wooden tanto - 09/21/06 04:51 PM

Thanks! I called the sdk guy up, and that might work out. I am still interested in anything you guys can give me about making a tanto, though.

Posted by: Marishiten

Re: Making a wooden tanto - 09/21/06 10:46 PM

if you know what it looks like it isn't that hard to figure out how to make one.
Mine's made from the tip of a broken bokken. Nothing goes to waste, hehe.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: Making a wooden tanto - 09/22/06 09:31 AM

The best advice I can give you is to get a sharp knife and start whittling. Getting the shape you want is easy enough, just don't make it so thin that it's fragile. Also, start with something cheap, a 2x4 in the backyard or something. Don't start with the expensive woods.

When you're done with the shape, go through the standard finishing procedure, (60 grit sandpaper, lacquer, 100 grit sandpaper, lacquer, 200 grit sandpaper, etc) Do this as high as you want to to get the level of smoothness/grip that you desire.
Posted by: SRitchie

Re: Making a wooden tanto - 03/28/07 05:00 PM

The Wooden Steel link is my company. Feel free to give me a call as well or PM me.