Posted by: Empishu

Newbie - 08/23/06 10:13 AM

Hello,

About a week from now I'm going to start Kenjutsu, specifically Edo Yagyu Shin Kage Ryu. I've had about 6 years of karate training and 4 years of Modern Arnis (continuing training in both) I have Iaito just not Bokken. Any suggestions for the new guy?
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Newbie - 08/23/06 11:52 AM

Best advice is: relax. Kendo is done with a shinai, as your instructor will undoubtedly show you. If you should need a bokken, I feel confident they will be able to lend you one to use in class.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Newbie - 08/23/06 11:56 AM

I'd say hang on before buying anything. You may not need a standard bokuto or an iaito. Some styles prefer particular types of bokuto. I'm sure your instructor will tell you what you will need.

Other than that, go in with an open mind and be willing to completely start over from scratch. Your previous training will probably interfere with your new style. Just bear with it. Good luck. JSAs can be very rewarding if you stick with it.
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Newbie - 08/23/06 02:24 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions for the new guy?

Sure!
Be very careful to seperate your empty hand training from your sword training. They have different requirements and expectations so they have to be carefully compartmentalized. Your previous training will give you a leg up though as you will already know how to learn.

Listen closely, and try to imitate whatever you're shown as exactly as possible. Don't embellish, don't assume, try and repeat exactly as shown.

Be patient. The initial movements and forms you are shown may seem simple, but they must be repeated countless times in order to understand the intricacies that underlay them. Every time they are repeated is an opportunity to refine them a little more.

Good luck in your training. Manogue sensei is a really good guy, and I think you'll enjoy your training there.

Re: Newbie - 08/24/06 09:38 AM

Quote:

Good luck in your training. Manogue sensei is a really good guy, and I think you'll enjoy your training there.

Wow.....thats impressive. I say Manogue sensei teach a new comer the day I came and visited...indeed hes a really good teacher.

Weapons are easier for me to pick up then empty hand. I had the option of taking Aikido as well, but more empty handed arts just don't work for me. Weapons are easier to split up in my mind. I truly understand moving from simple to complicated. Its one of the huge tennets in my primary style, Ryukyu Kempo.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Newbie - 08/24/06 10:56 AM

Empishu

Your probably going to find a a lot of difference between Japanese and Okinawan weapon work.

Re: Newbie - 08/24/06 01:38 PM

Okinawan weapon work, although this is highly debated, has alot to do with the empty handed stances and empty handed translations. The Ryukyu Kobudo I've seen and done is about defending farms and castles, this however tooks like battle field strategy and tactics, which is something I feel, although is subtly in my system, I'm not getting.
The nice thing is I'm going to get a long time to train, it'll be 4 hours once a week instead of drawn out over the week.