Looking for Sword Training in CA

Posted by: Biomanz

Looking for Sword Training in CA - 08/01/06 10:23 AM

Hi all. Total newbie here, but just now (the past few hours, literally) I've become fixated in learning how to wield a blade. I just want to find some instruction in my area in Davis or San Francisco, CA. I'm not interested in learning any flashy moves you see in TV and whatnot; just want to learn some combat skills perhaps using traditional Japanese styles. I've been Googling around all night but couldn't find anything nearby. It might be naive of me to say this, but I don't care too much about what style (Kendo, Aikido, etc) to get into - I was interested in Kenjutsu until I read somewhere that schools of that type are now rare. I just want some instruction and train on my own. Heck, in case I'm out of luck, how do those sword training videos sold online fare? Some instruction from observation is better than none I think? Anyway, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Looking for Sword Training in CA - 08/01/06 11:18 AM

See my response over at Martial Talk.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: Looking for Sword Training in CA - 08/07/06 01:17 AM

Here's a quick run-down of sword training videos.

The two trickiest parts of swordplay are knowing what you are doing wrong and using it on someone

Neither of these are possible alone.

If the grip slips in your hand when you swing, you are as effective a swordsman as your average movie star. However, you can only look at your hand before and after the swing, not during. You also cannot see whether you are leaning, your head is bobbing, or your tip is wobbling. Trust me, you can be in front of a mirror checking everything, believing that you are perfect, and your instructor comes along and corrects every single thing.

As for pairs practice, impossible for obvious reasons. Don't try arming your roommate for this sort of thing, it doesn't work (trust me on this).

This is of course, working under the bad assumption that the video is of high quality. Knowing the above two paragraphs, most masters avoid video like the plague, and those that are done are largely done as supplimental work (note: big generalization here). You don't want to train in the kenjitsu equivalent of Tae-Bo.