"jian" sword taught anywhere anymore?

Posted by: Demonologist437

"jian" sword taught anywhere anymore? - 08/04/05 12:17 AM

I've inquiried about the jian before, but I recently got to thinking, are their any places anymore that teach jian sword style with some specific focus (much like katana) or is it more, complementary to whatever else your learning.
Kind of like how I do Ryukyu-kempo but also am learning "kobudo" weapons in addition to, since sensei deemed me ready for more serious weapons work.
Not the focus, just extra.

Is that how jian practice works nowadays too? Is it taught as an "extra" if you will, to the unarmed combat forms of kung-fu?

Just wonderin' is all.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: "jian" sword taught anywhere anymore? - 08/04/05 08:19 AM

The jian is taught as one of the Ye-do subsets of Korean sword, but my guess is that if you really want to run down whats going on with jian training you want to contact Scott Rodell over at the Great River Taoist Center in Virginia. Scott teaches jian both here in the States as well as in Europe and has published a fine book on Chinese swordsmanship after the Yang TCC tradition. He also sells various Chinese weapons and artifacts through Seven Star Trading Company. You can reach him very easily through the SWORD FORUM INTERNATIONAL website. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: "jian" sword taught anywhere anymore? - 08/04/05 12:21 PM

Yes, I have only seen dao and jian work as as part of an wider curriculum, or a separate class in the same school. I know a school in Houston that requires you to spend 3 months in their unarmed class before you join their weapons class.

A good, stand alone jian school probably exists somewhere on the planet, but good luck finding one, cause I can't help.