Cutting (Tameshigiri)

Posted by: Warwolph

Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/13/05 12:28 PM

Alot of Iaido styles consider cutting objects, or Tameshigiri, a bad thing to do for various (good) reasons... what are people here's ideas about this? should this REALLY be considered bad? On my side, I beleive it should be allowed- but only if you're using a modern sword, and only once you have attained a level where you are able to do this correctly. Cutting with an antique sword is like using an antique wardrobe- you use it too much, it will show wear and tear.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/13/05 04:36 PM

Personally, what's the big deal long as know one gets hurt.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/13/05 04:47 PM

In Kum-Bup cutting is an integral way of validating a technique and researching various aspects of swordwork which would be too risky to attempt even with a willing partner. The trick, as I see it, is to find material of sufficient amount and consistency to make regular cutting a true (standard) measure of ones' efforts. Currently the standard for the Asian sword arts seems to be pretty much straw bundles or (more modern) rolled matting of a predetermined thickness and density. Where I have a problem with people advocating cutting is the constant variance regarding materials. I see no purpose in simply cutting whatever is handy just to be able to say one could cut something with a sword. To me this is like taking a rifle out in the country and just shooting at whatever strikes your fancy. FWIW.

BTW: I have been giving serious consideration to making targets out of rolled-up newspapers using one of those rollers that was once used to make "fireplace logs". Has anyone ever tried using rolled-up newspapers as a cutting target?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: splice

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/13/05 05:25 PM

Well, some people have used newspaper sheets

Not exactly what you intended, but there you go

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/13/05 06:03 PM

I'm not going to go through reasons why it's bad, because someone's already done it for me The credentials of the guy on the link seem OK and what is said makes sense so give it a read if ur interested also note this probably doesn't only apply to Iaido but also other arts with Katanas or swords....

Info on tameshigiri
Posted by: Stony

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 06:21 AM

Well, I looked at the link provided and didn't see any real reference to the authors' credentials other than one had sensei after his name. I could write sensei after my name but it really wouldn't really mean much. And to be honest, both authors have very flawed logic.

The first author wrote "The act of using a sword to cut something is akin to someone using a Catholic cross to bash a tree." The author makes reference to the sword being considered the "soul" of a samurai. This is where I think he became confused. A catholic cross wasn't designed with an edge or to bash trees. A sword has an edge, designed to cut. Using a sword to cut is using something the way it was designed to be used. The author then points out that a swordmaker puts his soul into making a sword and "Therefore, using a sword to cut something is a most disrespectiful act towards the swordsmith and the sword..." Again, we have have the false idea that it's wrong to use something in the manner it was designed or made. He also makes reference to the fact the sword is one of the three imperial treasures. I guess he doesn't know the sword is called "Grass Cutter" because at one time the Emperor used the sword to cut down the high grass around him when enemies set the field he was in on fire. According to him, the Emperor disrespected the sword because he used it to save his life.

The second author dislikes using a sword to cut as well. I'm not going to quote him but if you read the article, he begins an illogical train of thought in how if someone would use tameshigiri to learn how to use a sword, it would lead to becoming a violent person. His logic could also lead one to believe that if you began to learn karate, that by breaking boards, you would have to progress to breaking peoples arms and legs as a practical means of learning karate. In the articles there are references that if since a sword will cut, if you have to prove you can cut, you really don't know how to cut, so you shouldn't cut. If I offend anyone, I'm sorry, but that's a load of crap.

The simple reason for tameshigiri today is that we don't use swords as folks once did. Tameshigiri doesn't test the sword to see if it cuts, it's a test to see if we can cut correctly. Are we learning how to use the sword correctly? Are we holding the sword right? Are we cutting or are we chopping? This is what and why one should do tameshigiri. Should one do it with a 400 year old national treasure? No. But there is no reason one shouldn't use a Paul Chen, Last Legend or a modern hand made sword today like a Clark L6 if they want. Ask a swordmaker or knifemaker if it would be disrespectiful to cut with their sword or knife. If they think it would be, then don't use their sword or knife.

If you don't want to cut with a sword, then don't. it's not a problem. But when you say I'm wrong because I don't respect the sword, or maker because I am testing myself, it becomes a problem. Speak for yourself, don't speak for me.

I'm sorry it went on so long. Please forgive me.

Stony

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 07:00 AM

look at my original post for my point of view, the logic seems to be the same train of thought as you.. just not as powerfully expressed! but you have to look at different points of view before dismissing the ones you don't like..

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 07:04 AM

Stony, you ought to at least do some research before putting your foot in your mouth. Esaka sensei is 10th dan hanshi, the official representative of the Zen Nihon Iaido Renmei, and a direct student of the 20th and 21st soke of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (Seitokai). It's not some random nobody that wrote that. Andrej Diamanstein is 6th dan ZNIR, under Esaka sensei and one of his students, Philippe Sabatier. Do your qualifications even remotely match these?

Besides, both of these are writing from the perspective of MJER under the Seitokai line and in ZNIR. This is the official position of their organization. Their logic isn't flawed at all, you just don't agree with it. That's fine. You can argue all day, you're not going to change their opinion. A great many people and Ryu also feel free to do things their own way, without paying much attention to what other organizations say.

I wonder; how many traditional Japanese swordsmiths have you asked about the reason they still make nihonto? How many do you think would answer that they make nihonto for people to cut stuff up, not for the artistic aspects? You seem to have strong beliefs about the way swords should be considered, but are those beliefs shared by those who make the swords?

I might not agree with Esaka sensei's views, but I do respect them. If you doubt that you are cutting correctly, ask sensei to correct you. If you doubt your sensei's teachings, why are you learning from him? You can surely find a sensei that will allow you to validate your technique with tameshigiri. There's no need to write a long diatribe about why you don't agree with a 10th dan from Japan, student of the soke of the style, and about how they have "false ideas" and they are a "load of crap".

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 09:29 AM

Splice- nice words there... but I still think Tameshigiri should be allowed but not squandered...

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 09:49 AM

Oh yes, I do agree that Tameshigiri can have a purpose. I do have a different opinion from Esaka sensei, and I have done some Tameshigiri in the past, under proper instruction.

Now, whether it should be allowed or not is totally up to the organization or ryu you belong to. You don't pick and choose which parts of the ryu you like and do some things differently, you follow the whole of the ryu. Since ryu and organizations on the whole have differing goals and differing ideals, it's obvious you'll get places that say it has no purpose, places that say it's an essential part of training, and places that say it's a good training tool but not the focus. You can pick any of these opinions and take offense at it, write a long text about how those people are wrong, but in the end, what have you accomplished? Nothing.

And then you go back to class and do what sensei tells you .
Posted by: hyaku

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 10:06 AM

Quote:

Alot of Iaido styles consider cutting objects, or Tameshigiri, a bad thing to do for various (good) reasons... what are people here's ideas about this? should this REALLY be considered bad? On my side, I beleive it should be allowed- but only if you're using a modern sword, and only once you have attained a level where you are able to do this correctly. Cutting with an antique sword is like using an antique wardrobe- you use it too much, it will show wear and tear.

Well first of all I dont think you can just write Tameshigiri and then the word cutting as if they mean the same. Any idiot can be shown how to cut as easily as one can show someone how to split a log with an axe.

Tameshigiri test the skill of a swordsman and of the sword smiths fine work. You are not really doing anything of significant until you reach around godan. Getting that requires as much work as is need to get godan in other arts.

The thing is since the war Japan has tried to pull away from the use of the sword to actually cut things and pull towards a more educational aspect using it with creative visualization as a skill. Even before that strong values lie in the fact that we should learn the heart before we even pick one up.

Personaly I have been shocked to see Iaido Nanadan who are useless cutters. This pushed me towards doing more cutting. I can now not only cut with good creative visualization but have the satisfaction of knowing I would making a reaonal job of it too if a target was there. I personaly thing a good all round knowledge of this and Kendo too are beneficial.

Then again its finding the time place and money to do it all.

I do know one very well know teacher that told me he had been asked to act as a Kaishakunin during WW2 and made a real botch of it. since then he has devoted his whole life to just trying to do good Iaido.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 10:07 AM

Esaka-sensei achieved Shodan in 1956. In the referenced passage, he is expressing the party line on tameshigiri. It's that simple. If you don't like it, don't join Ikeda-soke's organization.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 04:41 PM

good point... but also realise that there is sometimes no other option than to study with a ryu or not study in that area of interest at all.. for example, if there's only one or two Iaido dojo's in the country where you live, there is definately going to be difficulties finding one that is tailored completely to your tastes, is there not? I'm doing research on finding one around here (I'm considering taking up Iaido in September), but there are only 3 or 4 dojos in the country which do Iaido, and they're at least an hours drive away, so i've got to be happy with what's around if I want to do it at all!

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 07:10 PM

Then if all the dojos you are able to get to are dojos that are part of organizations which prohibit tameshigiri, you'd better get used to the idea. You aren't going to be in a position to have any influence at all in changing the policies of the ryu for decades. That's assuming you ever manage to gain any influence at all.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 07:15 PM

Warwolph

Count yourself lucky that you have folks as close as an hours drive!

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 07:36 PM

ook fair enough... Actually, there's quite a few places which do Iaido for such a small country.. the problem is in this country finding the right language but it takes about an hour to get to the center of the capital where there's the closest Dojo that does it in English... Just to get things straight, is anyone familiar with the term "Zen Ken Ren Iaido" and what it implies?

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 07:46 PM

Warwolph

That is indeed a tougher question.

I tend to fall on the side of the school of thought that a having a native tounge in common can certainly help, but not having one does not really hurt either.

I find that folks pick up the common "dojo speak" for whatever art they are doing pretty quickly.

I am sure that you have thought of it, but it might be a chance to gain some skills in more than one area.

I trained with a saber teacher from Central Europe, his English was pretty good, good enough that I never picked up much of HIS language--always kinda regreted that.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 10:25 PM

Quote:

Just to get things straight, is anyone familiar with the term "Zen Ken Ren Iaido" and what it implies?

Zen Ken Ren Iaido is shorthand for Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Seitei Iaido. Seitei is a set of 12 kata pulled from several different koryu(old school/traditional style). It is a set used by the Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei to introduce it's members to koryu swordsmanship. Many, but not all, ZNKR dojos which do Zen Ken Ren Iaido also do some form of koryu sword art as well. Usually either Muso Shinden Ryu or Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 11:12 PM

I have to agree with Stony that the authors of that article use flawed judgement and poor analogies. In their essays, I found only three arguments that were not dismissively laughable: that the sword is sacred, that it is useless, and that it wears out the blade

A sword is a lump of iron and carbon, along with trace amounts of other elements forged with loving skill and sweat into a distive shape. The result of these long hours of toil is not a toy, it is not a tool, and it is certainly not an object of worship like these men seem to believe. It is a weapon designed for a single purpose, to taste the blood of men. To worship or revere the blade as anything other than a demonstration of craftsman's skill or the protection of your life is foolishness and idolatry.

As for the accusation that tameshigiri is useless, let me tell you a story. There was a man who was reasonably well trained in kenjitsu and he attempted to cut a tatami mat for the first time. The sword twisted in his hand and the mat fell over, barely nicked. Why? His drills never taught him how to actually use the sword. No matter how long he would have trained, he never would have known that he could not have done significant damage with his cutting. If we are training in regards to learning to fight, tameshigiri is not perfect, but it is certainly better than nothing in this regard. (Mr. Diamantstein's slippery slope argument is not worthy of a response, and if it is in jest, it is a poor one). If we are not learning to fight, why are we using swords?

As for the blade wearing out and honoring the craftsman, placing a blade on a pedistal, declaring that it is never to be used is not honoring the blade, but insulting it and its creator. That is like comissioning an author to write a novel, and then placing the only copy in a plastic wrapper, never to be "soiled by human eyes", or, in a more personal example, marrying a woman and never lying with her to avoid "spoiling her perfection". True, if a thing is used, it will wear out and eventually become unusable (which is why we do not use antiques for cutting), but if it is used for its purpose, then that is alright. For a thing to last forever but never used is to be worthless.

Plus, if a katana is not to be used for actually cutting, why is so much invested in making it an effective weapon? It is forged and pieced together out of different metals for a hard edge and soft spin; it is tempered to hold an edge while keeping it flexible enough to survive impact; it is sharpened to an edge measurable in molecules wide. In every step of the process, it is designed and carefully made to be a masterful cutting tool. To forbid its use is foolish and disrespectful to every craftsman whose skill and effort was wasted making a blade which might have well have been made of nickel.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/14/05 11:48 PM

Quote:

Then if all the dojos you are able to get to are dojos that are part of organizations which prohibit tameshigiri, you'd better get used to the idea.

Yes, Charles is right, but I would not be too hard on them. A lot of iai people I know get together once a year to try. Then its back to the drawing board.

My most satisfactory practice is on my own now. What I do is usually designed towards pairwork. But I meet my teacher once or twice a week, take the medicine and advice then go way and work on the fine tuning in my own Dojo. Then I meet him again with the compliment "Wow you got that sorted out well". One needs to assimilate pair work on ones own.

You could equally put a batto jutsu only student in a Kendo Dojo to take a real hammering. Its all wheels of a cart. Do as much as you can. As mentioned some have little choice.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 12:20 AM

Quote:

I have to agree with Stony that the authors of that article use flawed judgement and poor analogies

Why do you care about the reasonableness of restrictions placed on the practitioners of an art in an organization which you are not a part of?
Posted by: Nik_Miller

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 01:02 AM

I dont know why someone would want to remove such a usefull training method on stances that it "disrespects" a weapon by useing it for what it was supposed to be used for. If you training in swordsmanship and cutting nothing but air, is like training in karate or boxing and doing nothing but shadow box. If you try to strike it will be alien and the strike will be ineffective. If you are learning a strikeing art, you must actually strike something or you may as well just be takeing dance lessons

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 07:08 AM

Quote:

I dont know why someone would want to remove such a usefull training method on stances that it "disrespects" a weapon by useing it for what it was supposed to be used for. If you training in swordsmanship and cutting nothing but air, is like training in karate or boxing and doing nothing but shadow box. If you try to strike it will be alien and the strike will be ineffective. If you are learning a strikeing art, you must actually strike something or you may as well just be takeing dance lessons

If that the case go for Kendo or Kenjutsu. Targets don't cut you back. The best butcher might be able to cut meat but it does not teach you about maai (timing/interval) about seme zanshin and most of all about kahanshin.

Like it or not its a matter of Japanese deep feelings towards the sword as a result of generations of using them. It is one of the sacred regalia.

The total Budo population must still be around less than two percent. The rest would rather see these things gone and buried. Add to that the not too recent still ongoing Chinese-Japanese fracas about Yasukuni shrine where your head choppers are entombed and in all its a very delicate subject.

Charles is doing something which really tries to put forward the educational value of swordsmanship. What I do has a different approach that says why bother with a sword when you can kill someone that holds one with a peice of wood if they attack. Sorry but the realism you have now is just about all you gonna get. Samurai died a long time ago.

Even karate does not have us kicking each other in the goolies or the head. Its controlled.

Nowadays we pick up a taser or a gun if there is real trouble.

Dont get me wrong though I did reach godan in batto jutsu and took second place in an all Japan Takai. But we really do have to respect others feelings on this. The first time I did a demo in the Philippines and some old ladies watched I though, "Oops, I hope they dont get the wrong impression" considering what had happened there.

Musashi said (here I go again) If you want to learn the sword you should first learn the heart. If you dont understand the heart of things don't bother picking up a sword.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree with Stony that the authors of that article use flawed judgement and poor analogies

Why do you care about the reasonableness of restrictions placed on the practitioners of an art in an organization which you are not a part of?

I don't care about the restrictions, Charles, but I do care about people using faulty analogies and circular reasoning to support those policies. Call it an idle habit, but if someone supports something with a bad argument, that makes me more likely to bash them than if they had not explained themselves in the first place. If their arguments were reasonable, I would have said "I disagree, but I respect your opinion". However, when presented with a mix-mash of counterintuitive and silly arguments like that, I get annoyed.

I hate to say it, but my opinion of the ryu was significantly lowered by reading this article.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 04:45 PM

For the record, those were not arguements. The policy is not arguable. It is the law of the land. Nobody is attempting to convince anyone of anything. What is written is more of an explanation of the policy of the Ryu-ha. It was not meant for you or anyone outside of Diamantstein-sensei's dojo. That you happened to have read it is your business. There is no cause for you to come into a public forum and bash the internal policies of a ryuha which you do not belong to or know hardly anything about.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 04:51 PM

seems to be pretty split, this one

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 05:46 PM

Charles, the article was publically presented as the explaination for the dojo's policy. I have no qualms with the policy because it is their business and their right to do whatever they please.

My qualm lies in the faulty reasoning the back it up with. The point of this discussion is more or less to give evidence on those undecided about whether or not to practice tameshigiri themselves. If a point is brought up, it can and should be weighed and challenged by all involved. You have called my facts and opinions into question on numerous occasions, and I thank you for it. This is after all a discussion in which we hope to come to an agreement, and faulty information gets in the way of decision making. So, if this article is presented as evidence for us to consider in our personal decision whether to do tameshigiri ourselves, then it is well within my rights to provide a counterpoint if I believe the evidence to be faulty.

So please, if you disagree with my statement, feel free to challenge any point I present or any gramatical error I make, but do not challenge my right to raise a point.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If that the case go for Kendo or Kenjutsu. Targets don't cut you back. The best butcher might be able to cut meat but it does not teach you about maai (timing/interval) about seme zanshin and most of all about kahanshin.

Like it or not its a matter of Japanese deep feelings towards the sword as a result of generations of using them. It is one of the sacred regalia.

The total Budo population must still be around less than two percent. The rest would rather see these things gone and buried. Add to that the not too recent still ongoing Chinese-Japanese fracas about Yasukuni shrine where your head choppers are entombed and in all its a very delicate subject.

Charles is doing something which really tries to put forward the educational value of swordsmanship. What I do has a different approach that says why bother with a sword when you can kill someone that holds one with a peice of wood if they attack. Sorry but the realism you have now is just about all you gonna get. Samurai died a long time ago.

Even karate does not have us kicking each other in the goolies or the head. Its controlled.

Nowadays we pick up a taser or a gun if there is real trouble.

Dont get me wrong though I did reach godan in batto jutsu and took second place in an all Japan Takai. But we really do have to respect others feelings on this. The first time I did a demo in the Philippines and some old ladies watched I though, "Oops, I hope they dont get the wrong impression" considering what had happened there.

Musashi said (here I go again) If you want to learn the sword you should first learn the heart. If you dont understand the heart of things don't bother picking up a sword.

Like I said, Its a valuable tool, not the only thing to be practiced. My post was only on the value of testings ones ability to actually cut. No where did I say that you can become a good swordsman by cutting only. But I dont think you can be a good swordsman without testing your cutting ability either.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 06:18 PM

What exactly do you consider "faulty reasoning"? I don't really see a logical flaw in his way of thinking... we're not aiming to become lethal killers by learning such arts as Iaido, so what's the point in learning just so you can cut with a sword? where's the logical flaw? Reading up on it, I'm starting to see their point. I don't know of many arts which train you up to be able to kill so that you go out and do it? self defence maybe, but sword arts are in their great majority deadly. Sure, you could cut legs off or something to stop an ennemy, but then he may bleed to death. The only point in "real" swordsmanship is to kill. That's not the intention of martial arts training.
Posted by: Stony

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 07:58 PM

Wow! Did I start something here! I wrote a reply the other day but it seems to have gotten lost. First let me state I am not a member of Zen Nihon Iaido Renmei, I am not a 10th dan or a 6th dan or even 1st dan. To be honest, I have no knowledge of who Esaka Sensei or Diamantstein Sensei are or of thier organization. No disrespect was intended. I am not questioning their ability, rank or such. I do question their logic. Just because someone is a 10th dan doesn't mean their logic is perfect. I do believe I presented valid points as to why their logic is flawed. Their reasons for not doing tameshigiri were being presented as valid (i.e. good) reasons. I am not trying to convince them that they should do tameshigiri, I am trying to show what is flawed in their logic/reasons.

It should be noted that Diamantstein Sensei presented his reasons as his own "personal thoughts about tameshigiri." And it appears that he disagrees with Esaka Sensei about some matters. Again I do not want to attempt to quote the whole article but read it again. His statement of "Proving that you can cut with a sword is like proving water is wet." is very flawed. Please note that water is always wet, yet as several people have posted, not everyone can cut with a sword.

And Splice, as far as putting my foot in my mouth, didn't you say one should either accept all of a ryu and not just those parts they like? It appears you belong to ZNIR, which forbids tameshigiri, yet you admit to having done tameshigiri. Did you admit to doing something your organization forbids?

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 08:33 PM

when he said "Proving that you can cut with a sword is like proving that water is wet." I beleive he meant the fact that a sword is made to cut... however you seem to have perceived it as "proving that a certain individual can cut is like proving water is wet".. just thought I'd clear that up... and the logic that the guy who had worked many years and then tried to cut and failed... well, maybe he failed because he doubted his ability.. woops, circular reasoning. but maybe he'd just got his technique wrong because of lack of confidence in his ability... *shrugs*.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 09:04 PM

Quote:

And Splice, as far as putting my foot in my mouth, didn't you say one should either accept all of a ryu and not just those parts they like? It appears you belong to ZNIR, which forbids tameshigiri, yet you admit to having done tameshigiri. Did you admit to doing something your organization forbids?

And here you go with foot in mouth disease again. I am not in any part of or affiliated with the ZNIR or Esaka sensei, nor have I ever said so. The organization I am part of does not forbid tameshigiri, and my sensei, his sensei, and their sensei were all present at that particular event.

Anyway, I've said my piece, and others have said it better.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/15/05 10:52 PM

This subject has come up before on another forum. Quite a unique situation bacause swords arts have become faceted with people working on perfection of a particular facet. Could be that Esaka Sensei has very personal reasons for this stand. In that particular case, in his particular position? One would bow deeply shout out "Hai wakarimashita" and get on with things.

We too within the ryu have our particular quirks. One of them seems to not even bother to ask sword people to take part in our private demonstrations. The conversation usually goes, "X Sensei's a menkyo kaiden of Z ryu. Let's ask him to do a demo". Then when it comes to the crunch no one is invited.

Lots of people do belong to more than one association in Japan. Zen I Ren and Zen Ken Ren. Its not encouraged but it does happen.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/16/05 08:21 AM

Dear Splice:

I sorta picked you at "random" if you will as I have noticed there have been a couple of curt exchanges among people here regarding affiliation. Since I am an outsider to Japanese traditions, I am wondering if you (or anyone else) can advise me about why it seems that folks who are involved with Japanese traditions seem inordinately "touchy" about which teacher they learn from or which organization they are members of? The reason I ask is that we seem to be talking about (what seems to me, anyhow) a pretty universal, and if you don't mind my saying, a pretty innocuous aspect of swordsmanship. Underneath the discuss I get the impression that there is some level of tension about who belongs to what group. Am I misreading this? Is there a valid reason for this--- beyond just personal loyalty, I mean? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/16/05 12:33 PM

There's a heavy inclination towards Honour in japanese culture, and it seems to come out after training even a little bit in MA... There's also the fact that often people disregard other practices, because they (can) go completely against what you've been taught... it makes things a little complicated at times, and debate can be hot... as long as it doesn't get too nasty that is ..

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/16/05 01:11 PM

Quote:

The reason I ask is that we seem to be talking about (what seems to me, anyhow) a pretty universal, and if you don't mind my saying, a pretty innocuous aspect of swordsmanship.

But that's the rub, isn't it? Every ryu has their philosophy, their way of doing things, their purpose for practicing. I believe it's a misconception that all ryu are to teach people swordsmanship. Some wish to teach improvement of the person, for example. And these are all encompassing philosophies of the ryu, they're not up to discussion unless you go the full training and get menkyo kaiden (or whatever) and get to think about your view of things.

The reason we're touchy about these things (IMHO) is that we're tasked with preserving traditions that are often hundreds of years old. There is no tension about who belongs to what group, at least from where I stand. However, breaking away from your teacher, incorporating things from other styles, not respecting your style's philosophy is basically saying "I don't care about the ryu and about preserving the teachings of the style, I just want to do it my way". You can do it your way in your backyard, you don't have to waste sensei's time, taking what part of the teachings you like, discarding the rest, and incorporating what you think the style lacks.

My curtness comes from the fact that some people seem to think there is one absolute answer, and it's either "tameshigiri MUST be done" or "tameshigiri SHOULD NOT be done". There is no such thing. Every ryu has a different goal, and tameshigiri fits (or not) differently within those goals. You can differ with the philosophy of one group, and yet not bring your arguments forward as the absolute truth (which they won't ever be, however logical you think are being).

Some of us are just interested in preserving what we're taught and passing it on to the next generation as it was taught to us.

Anyway, I've got stuff to do, and I've said more than enough already.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/16/05 01:28 PM

Glad

If I can add my unasked 2 cents here?

Kinda long--but its a complex subject.

Another couple of things to consider is that in most koryu, things are done the way are FOR A SPECIFIC REASON, even the little stuff, its done from a very specific comabtive outlook.
When you go "outside" the box, its less of question of weither or not it "works" and MUCH MORE of a question if its "fits" with the appraoch your learning.
Since skill level in koryu are usually measured in terms of decades--the general opinion is that unless and until you have absorbed the core of the teachings of a school--anything you do that may have a "different" appraoch does nothing but hurt your progress.

At a certain point, historically speaking many folks trained in other arts--but they ONLY DID SO AFTER HAVING ACHIVEING VERY HIGH LEVELS OF SKILL.

In dealing with the "do" arts--which I define here as "way" some teachers of the classical do arts seriously feel that using their art to harm other people is "wrong" that what they teach is designed for various mental/emotional/spiritual development.
And they take it VERY seriously.

To paraphrase one iaido teacher I know "If you want to kill a man, buy a gun, its MUCH better than a sword.
If you want to be a better person, learn to overcome some of your own hang-ups and personal weaknes, then pick up the sword."

What I think he was getting at is the basic purpose for HIS and probably other peoples training is NOT is combat effectiveness--which in the case means that arguements for the use of test cutting ARE NOT THE POINT.
From a certain perspective, one held by the teacher in question, "combat effectiveness" is the last thing that concerns him.

Kinda like telling your combat handgun teacher that you wish to focus on the "spiritual" aspects of shooting--you'll be told "That's NOT what we do here."

When you train with someone, your kinda agreeing to follow his lead--and folks that train with the insgructer in question KNOW what his feelings are going it--so they pretty much have to do it his way.

Or don't train with him--nobody is forceing them.
Posted by: yen

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/16/05 03:50 PM

Being a student of Shinkendo, I guess it's obvious where I stand.

That being said, for those who are interested in reading on the subject (even if you don't practice it), Kaiso Obata has a new book out about Shinkendo Tameshigiri which can be found on Amazon.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/17/05 12:35 AM

Just to clarify, I was speaking of testing ones ability to cut from a completely western martial art view. Im in no way connected with japanese sword arts or anything like that. The most ive ever done with any katana like object is do some cutting with a PPK.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/17/05 06:39 AM

the western martial art point of view being.. cut as much as you want?

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/17/05 09:37 AM

Dear CXT:

I am right there with you in my own practice, so I think you may appreciate my confusion (consternation??) that in a recent exchange (on another Net) about the relationship of learning Ethics and community responsibility to practice in the Dojo, my thoughts were characterized as "touchy-feel-y" or "New Age mumbo-jumbo". Seems like every authentic source I have found as I read-up on Japanese sword traditions speaks to the polishing of Character expected of a practitioner. I am left to consider what might produce such a wide disparity among practitioners of the same family of arts such that some feel as do you and others believe that their practice is limited only to what happens in the school. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/17/05 10:34 AM

read my posts in this thread. But just to recap. The views of the wma comunity tend to be that test cutting is an important tool that is neccisary to reach martial proficiency. The exact ammount its practiced is up to the individual. The more you cut the better you cut, the more you thrust the better you thrust. And if you thrust and cut with historically accurate techniques then you will be a more effective fighter, because a sword injurs and kills by cutting and thrusting, so you need to be good at cutting and thrusting to be able to survive and encounter. And I am well aware that that view is because most people practicing western martial arts practice them for combat effectiveness, though we know we will most likely never face a conflict useing swords. We do that because we are trying to completely recreate the art, combat mindset and everything. And that can probably be see as alot less practical in todays world than spiritual sword arts like iaido. But as i said we are working on recreating every aspect of the art that has been all but lost. Which includes working towards combat effectiveness. And to become effective with a sword you need to know how to cut and thrust, which you learn by drilling techniques which represent the principles of the fighting style, as well as useing those techniques against targets that resemble human flesh(sometimes even cutting and thrusting against freshly killed animals). All for the purpose of becomeing combat effective in that art to completely recreate it. Now dont accuse me or the westner community of being a bunch of people who only want to cut stuff up or anything, as ive said and will probably have to say again, that is only one facet of the training.

Also as far as the animal cutting goes, not very many people do it, and some disdain it. But is as close to cutting a human as you can come and will therefore give you a good idea of how effective your strikes and thrusts would be against a human.

If theres anything im being unclear about please let me know and I will try to elaborate as best I can.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/17/05 05:20 PM

Glad

Best I can guess is that people being people, they just won't agree on all things.
The more folks that become involved in the martial arts the more folks there are to disagree over how they are "done."

I laughed tail off one day over a buddy of mine that had gone to one of the Niten Ryu seminars up in Canada a number of years ago.
The subject of test cutting came up--and when he was asked he looked the guy right in the eye and said (as goes the story) "I study Mushashi style--we use bokken for combat, just like he did."

Some guy stated that a "shinken" (which was in a bag at his feet)was a better weapon.

The guy spun around, raised his bokken above his head and in the most frightening voice he could muster spat out--

"Lets see if you can get out before I smash your ^P^*^*&*skull!!!!!"

Dude just froze.

Topic also reminded me of an interesting historical aside. I was reading a book that published the numbers of people that had committed crimes in the Middle Ages and the weapon they used.

Thing is that BY FAR more folks were killed and seriousley injured by folks using simple clubs and staves.
On the one hand, most folks could not afford good swords--on the other hand, it sure does NOT require a razor sharp cutting blade to quite neatly and effectivly kill a man.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/17/05 07:05 PM

to kill person sword can be completely blunt... I have an antique medieval sword that's completely blunt, but I'm certain the end could go through a person quite effectively.
Posted by: kroh

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/24/05 02:18 PM

Just out of curiosity...

What is everyone on this list who does test cutting...well..cutting?

And where do you get your supplies from?

The one thing that I am having a hard time tracking down is fresh green bamboo. Standard japanese style matt targets are easy to get ahold of with several places now offering them for sale. Just can't seem to track down the green stuff though.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/24/05 05:03 PM

Tameshigiri tends to be alot more based on mats because they're alot easier to get hold of and therefore cheaper to cut

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/24/05 07:08 PM

Now that I am no longer under an instructor that cuts often, my own cutting practice has wained some as it has taken a back seat to other aspects of the arts I practice. I recently got back into cut testing and am now ordering the supplies myself. AS I am doing this more often i am also going through targets more often and the bamboo was something I did with a previous instructor that I would like to get back into.

I did some bamboo cutting the other day and went through the supply that I had. As i would like to do more I was wondering if anyone ( especially anyone here who does Shinkendo <or Toyama Ryu> or Haedong Kumdo) new a different supplier. So far the best I have found is Mugen Dachi, Bugei trading, and Mantis Swords. There are always the beach mats but they are usually flimsy and don't produce much resistance to butterknives let alone a shinken. Hence why I am looking for green bamboo. Not forall the time but when I want a bit of a challenge.

Thanks all,
Regards,
Walt

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/25/05 06:50 PM

umm normally it's not a beach mat, it's a mat that's really common in japan in most households and you can layer it as much asyou want... it offers resistance.. I don't know how realistic this is, but I heard (from a japanese friend) that a well set up target is about as hard to cut through as a human leg... don't know how realistic that is, might look it up later if I'm bored...

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 06/27/05 02:36 AM

Main difference between beach mats is that they are around half the size of goza (tatami top layer). They are stitched around the edges and have aroung twice as much threadwork to hold them together. The thing is as I already said any idiot can cut these things witha a few simple instructions. testing out ones correct technique using kahanshin and correct hip application is equivelant to taking grades in other arts. It takes years of practice.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 07/19/05 11:08 AM

I agree that the beach matts are sub standard ( and remarkably thin ). Mugen Dachi has some quality supplies and they have recenlty replenished their stock.

Regards,
Walt
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 07/19/05 01:53 PM

Comparison of currently available mats from different sources for tameshigiri. Enjoy ... http://www.ejmas.com/tin/tinart_smith_1103.html

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 07/24/05 05:47 PM

As important as what you cut is what not to cut.

OK TO CUT
Tatami mats - Preferable.
Rolled up newspaper - the poor man's tatami. Be sure to clean off any scraps, and polish it to remove any trace of ink.
Jugs of water (2-liter or milk) - Works, but not ideal. Remember to dry and oil the blade

NOT OK TO CUT

Wood - Ever looked at your hand-axe? If it's like mine, it has a bunch of small notches on the blade with a discolored and dented surface. This is ok wear and tear for a fifteen dollar axe, but you don't want this to happen to your blade.

PVC - Don't. Ever. The stuff looks like good cutting material: cheap, relatively thin, useful stuff. However, it has an occasional habit of forcefully shattering in different directions at the cut. When this happens (as it will every few cuts), your blade could get a rolled edge, a chipped edge, or even snapped. The first is fixable (for a decent sum), but the other two are not.

Metal - Nails will dent, notch, and/or scrape up your blade. Wider objects (such as the flat of your opponent's sword) will probably do less damage, but will still significantly dull the blade. This is why you never secure a tatami mat with a nail, but with a wooden peg (a lesson a n aquaintance of mine discovered when he notched his Jian pretty well (cut the nail almost clear in half, though). Metal is not made for cutting metal, and if it is, it is through small, repetitive motions (ie: mills, saws, etc), not big sweeps.

I hope this answers your question, Kroh.
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 07/24/05 06:13 PM

Quote:

OK TO CUT
Tatami mats - Preferable.
Rolled up newspaper - the poor man's tatami. Be sure to clean off any scraps, and polish it to remove any trace of ink.
Jugs of water (2-liter or milk) - Works, but not ideal. Remember to dry and oil the blade

I have to disagree quite vehemently with your assesment of what's OK to cut.
Tatami mats are preferable.
Bamboo is good if you have had sufficient training and know what you're doing. Otherwise, it's a chipped blade.
Rolled up newspaper is NOT a good thing to cut. Aluminum oxide is used to pulp the wood. It is present in large quantities in paper and cardboard. Basically you will be cutting fine grade sandpaper since that is what most sandpaper is made of. I would definitely NOT recommend it.
Jugs of water are just plain silly. It can possibly tell you if your sword is sharp, but not much else. I tried it once when I heard other people making a big deal of it. I found no redeeming value in it what so ever, unless you count the "hyuck, hyuck, look what I did" factor.

Just my opinions based upon my experiences.

Re: Cutting (Tameshigiri) - 07/24/05 07:22 PM

Quote:

I found no redeeming value in it what so ever, unless you count the "hyuck, hyuck, look what I did" factor.

not to mention wasting a perfectly good jug..