What is the purpose of Iaido Training???

Posted by: nowayaswaylee

What is the purpose of Iaido Training??? - 06/03/05 10:55 PM

First off let me say this. Iaido is one of the most challenging MA's out there and i respect it greatly. But what is the purpose of training in iaido? It's probaly not for self defense, becuase someone who carries a sword around on the streets is looking to be arrested . what are the benefits of iaido training????
Posted by: louroberto

Re: What is the purpose of Iaido Training??? - 06/03/05 11:31 PM

To become a more harmonius and spiritual self
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: What is the purpose of Iaido Training??? - 06/04/05 02:54 AM

What is the purpose of any sword art? It's not like you carry a katana or even a big stick around to kendo someone to death. I mean, I guess I could fence with my umbrella, but I doubt I could do any damage with it. If you want self defense, learn hand-to-hand or a knife art.

Everyone has their own reason for learning the sword. Kendoka and fencers generally are geared more towards the excitement and competition, while practitioners of non-combat arts like Iaido or Tai-Chi often are for spiritual fulfilment.

But there are a whole host of reasons: earning a right to wear a sword, the stucture of the dojo, the thrill of steel swooshing in the wind, meditation, competition, the search for knowledge, needing exercise, or even boredom can be a motivation.

It all depends on you
Posted by: Zelirin

Re: What is the purpose of Iaido Training??? - 06/05/05 01:45 AM

Well, I am sure it is possiable to get some kind of permit that allows you to carry a sword type weapon around.

Besides the point... People don't learn sword arts for self-defence of course I do not. I learn it to test my body and mind capacity and to see how much I can learn within my life time. Sword arts is alot more then learning to wave around a sword. It is respecting an art that people used hundreds of years ago and were able to use them freely as a weapon to kill or as a weapon of defence. So with that said I see a great point in learning how to use these arts... Because if somone dosn't they will eventually die and be forgotten.

I am also sure a great deal of you will agree with me.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: What is the purpose of Iaido Training??? - 06/05/05 01:09 PM

To my knowledge, you cannot legally carry a sword anywhere in America without a specific reason (competition, Ren-Fest, etc) off your own property. Concealed weapon licenses only apply to guns and, generally, only if they are concealed., which is impossible with most swords.

At least in Texas (I'm not sure about Everywhere else), a magnum revolver is considered less dangerous than a bowie knife in the hands of qualified people. I hate politics.

Besides, do you really want to carry a sharpened blade around everywhere? It would almost instantly heighten the tension in any situation. True, you might never draw it, but slinging a sword around would be percieved as an unspoken threat by some people (I know the waiter wouldn't spit in your food). I would be content merely with a knife large enough to do something with.
Posted by: Walter Wong

Re: What is the purpose of Iaido Training??? - 06/06/05 10:48 AM

I'd becareful of calling Tai Chi a noncombative art. Some schools actually teach Tai Chi in it's original form and not the "only" health/spiritual version where some schools watered down authentic Tai Chi.

Here's some clips of videos my Kung Fu teacher put out on Tai Chi applications.

ftp://ftp.ymaaschool.com/pub/Web_QTs_240x180/49%20Taiji_Wrestling_sm.mov

ftp://ftp.ymaaschool.com/pub/Web_QTs_240x180/21%20Taiji%20Chin%20Na.mov

I'd be careful bout accusing Iaido noncombative as well. I've seen some amazing Iai where guys with their hands hanging by their sides and sword still inside their saya have the blade out and in your face faster than you can blink. If they choose to, they can kill you pretty fast before you even know it.
Posted by: 1973

Re: What is the purpose of Iaido Training??? - 06/06/05 04:43 PM

MY experience in sword training is limited at the moment but my MA training is extensive. So right now I see the benefits as compared to unarmed arts as: More intense concentration, more precision timing, increased non-verbal communication by attitude, mental & physical posturing, to your observer/opponent if any (real or imagined).Of course any of these things will make you a better MA. I train with other traditional weapons and karate and obviously these qualities are also required/developed but in my own case I feel they are more so with the sword.