Forging japanese swords

Posted by: Ktulu

Forging japanese swords - 06/01/05 02:53 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a place in Ontario that will teach the ways of making a traditional Japanese sword? Im interested in learning and doubt very much id I could self teach myself using the internet. All help is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Forging japanese swords - 06/01/05 02:57 PM

Again. The best place to start is http://www.swordforum.com
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Forging japanese swords - 06/01/05 03:48 PM

Guelph is in Ontario ...
http://www.ejmas.com/tin/2005tin/tinart_fusataro_0505.html
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Forging japanese swords - 06/01/05 04:07 PM

That's the one. To my knowledge this is the only oppurtunity on the North American continent where this level of instruction is presented.
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Forging japanese swords - 06/01/05 04:59 PM

And I'm pretty sure I remember Kim saying that it wasn't going to be offered next year, so it's the last opportunity.
Posted by: splice

Re: Forging japanese swords - 06/02/05 06:35 AM

And at last notice, there were still a number of spots left for all the courses Kim put together this summer.

So there you go. A professional japanese smith, taught by Fujiwara Kanefusa the 24th and 25th (I believe), is coming all the way to Guelph, Ontario to teach you how to make shinken. There should be no reason for you not to show up, right?
Posted by: Ktulu

Re: Forging japanese swords - 06/02/05 08:36 AM

Wow thankyou very much I appreciate your help guys and will try my hardest to be there.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: Forging japanese swords - 06/02/05 08:21 PM

Your best option would be to apprentice yourself to a master smith. Swordforum would be the best place to start. Apprenticeships generally run between two and twelve years full time. You can't learn proper swordsmithing in a shorter period (something as complex as traditional tamahagne forging will likely require four at least). Besides, smithing is merely one of many things you need to learn. You don't want to end up with a masterfully forged blade with a slip-shod polish and poor hilt construction (I've seen it, not a pretty sight).

However, if you are looking into this as an artistic hobby and not a career, classes are your best option.

Swordsmithing is an entirely different art from knifesmithing and blacksmithing. A swordsmith is more concerned with chemistry than shape (a wrong length sword is fine (I meant it that way), but a decarburised blade is worthless). Keep this foremost in your mind as you look for classes.

Also, be wary of fake swordsmithing classes. A lot of smithing is taught by the same sort of people who teach McDojos, idiots. Try to get resumes and background about the instructor first. Also beware of anyone that suggests using uses coal or coke (the sulfer makes steel brittle); don't trust anything said by anyone who suggests those as fuels. If they don't know the basics, they have nothing to teach you.

I wish I could suggest anything in particular, but I can't. Just be careful, watch out, and try to have fun. What else are we supposed to be doing here?