Jody Samson Katana?

Posted by: V34

Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 11:39 AM

I was wondering if anyone here owns a Jody Samson Katana. In my opinion i feel that he is probably one of the greatest designers and swordsmiths ever! If you do not know his work a fine example is his swords in the movie conan or visit. www.jodysamson.com
If someone owns one can you please let me know your opinion on his katana's?
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 11:57 AM

Do a search for Jody Samson Katana over at Swordforum. http://www.swordforum.com There's a lot of reviews over there already. I don't know much about him, but I can honestly say I've never seen his name come up in the JSA forums. Don't know how traditional the blades are. I can't get to the website at the moment.
Posted by: splice

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 12:15 PM

Mr. Samson may well be an incredible swordsmith. I don't do western sword arts, so I can't say anything about the western type swords. But the "katana" that he put up? No, sorry. Not only are they terribly non-traditional, they don't even LOOK like katana. The shinogi curves down to meet the edge near the tsuba? No, no, no.

These are not katana or wakizashi. These are a smith's interpretation of the swords, modified as he saw fit. You would never, ever find these in a traditional dojo, no matter how great the blade is or how solid the construction.

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 12:36 PM

Thanks splice. I'm at a public wifi spot at the moment and can't see the site thanks to surfAid. I had nothing to go by. I suspected as much though.

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 12:45 PM

I know that these are far from a traditional katana! What I am looking for is how the weight and the distribution of balance are. I have seen and held many of his other swords and they are a marvel of all swords. Traditional? NO! Incredible? YES. The reason I like his interpitation of the Katana is because it is different. I love tradition as much as the next person. But I also like innovative and creative.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 01:15 PM

No disrespect V34, but there is, in my opinion, little more innovative than a traditional katana. Whole process and knowledge it took to arrive at the overall form of the katana was cutting edge (pardon the pun) technology. Every line, every bend, have a purpose and meaning, that when combined create a finely honed weapon, idealy suited to its task. To change things radically for aesthetic purposes lessens the 'worth' of the sword despite the quality of the craftsmanship IMO.
You can build a beautiful aeroplane, yet it will get no respect if it flies poorly.

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 01:37 PM

Ok now I can see the pictures. Those are not katana in any sense of the word. They are katana like objects perhaps, but they deviate from the norm so far as to not be the same thing anymore. The shape of the blades is all wrong. The tsuka are dead wrong. The shape of the tip is wierd. The curve looks strange and the hi is wide and oddly shaped. There is no habaki at all, but judging from the pictures there is no saya. Nor is there a fuchi. The tsuba is far too thin to be of much use.

I'm sure these are nice blades. I'd bet money they cut well, but the short of it is that they are not really katana. As was mentioned above, the single biggest problem with them practically speaking is that they would not be allowed in a serious JSA dojo. If you just want an art sword from a name smith, go for it. If you're already a fan of the smith, you know what you're getting into. If you are looking for a practical weapon for use in training, this is not the sword for you.

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 03:53 PM

Wo, WO, WO guys simmer down. I know all the parts of a Katana. I know what talent and hard work it takes to make one. And if you take in all the pieces to make a superior Katana this is not one. This is a modern rendition or another persons vision on his style of a Katana SHAPE sword.
Thats what I'll call it if you guys want. Geeze. I am well aware of the true meaning of a katana! They are sacred fro crying out loud! I am sorry if you guys found it disrespectful but I in no way meant it. I know what the traditional cross section of a katana is. I know what a habaki, tsuba, tsuka, fuchi, kashira ect. is. This sword doesn't have these. I was just saying I love his talent and his innovative designs. All his swords are functional and made with all the best and hand made fittings. They may not be folded steel swords but the are a nice 1060 or 1075 cs steel. anyways just wondering if anyone owned one?

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 03:59 PM

You did ask for opinions. You got some. I'm sure they weren't what you wanted to hear, but they were valid. When appraised as katana, which is what they purport to be, they fall short in several key areas. The lack of a habaki is especially problematic, as without one they will not stay in a saya. You gotta understand this forum is full of martial artists who use these things on a regular basis. If you ask us what we think, you're gonna get answers with that in mind.

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 05:15 PM

I know. I practice martial arts also. O.k. I agree with you guys. It does not have anything that a traditional katana is surposed to have. So it is not a katana. Does anyone own a Jody Samson sword? I have a few Katana's so I know just as well as you guys. Sorry to upset you all. I was just asking.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/01/05 05:42 PM

V34, You really didnt upset me My comments were a critique on the blade you presented in the context of its validity as a katana.
I love all things sharp and pointy, from all cultures and era's, and viewed purely as a sword in its own right I think it looks very cool, and appears to be well crafted.

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/02/05 08:28 AM

The thing is. Is people take things literally and to heart. Hey I love Katana's. They are my favorite style sword out of all my 22 pieces in my collection. What a Katana means to me is grace, ellegence, skill, beauty, power, speed, sacred and craftmanship. I love KATANA'S. It is by far the most intiquete crafted sword EVER!! Me as a sword collector i admire all of Jody's creations. every piece he has ever done in a marvel. Every piece he has ever made is very well thought out and hand made. I agree he shouldn't call it a true Katana but maybe call it a katana style sword.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: Jody Samson Katana? - 06/02/05 08:31 PM

I would have to disagree with the statements essentially saying that the katana was the ultimate sword that cannot be improved upon and also that breaking traditional construction is undesirable. However, this isn't the place for that discussion.

However, I agree that these deviate too far from the style to be considered katana. The design is closer to a cutlass or even a dao than that of a katana. What you have are a heavy saber and a small cut-and-thrust sword. Well made weapons for all I can see, but not a katana and wakizashi.