Kendo worth it?

Posted by: kyokushinkai

Kendo worth it? - 05/27/05 08:43 PM

I am not old enough to drive yet but I was wondering if kendo would be worth driving and hour there and back to a nearby city.. I mean this as in does it teach self-defense or is it purely for fun.. I know when I am older and going to university I am going to try it because I will be living near a dojo and be able to drive.I want to try it because I am interested in it but if Its not helpful in self defense then I probably won't try it soon.

thankyou
Posted by: Satori_Ryu

Re: Kendo worth it? - 05/27/05 09:03 PM

It is only good for self defense if you carry around a sword with all the time. There are some other things you can learn, like moving out of the line of attack and timing your strikes.

While you can do it "just for fun" I would not say that is all that it is good for. Kendo can do a lot of good mentally, spiritually, and physically.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Kendo worth it? - 05/27/05 11:12 PM

I agree. If self defense is what you're after, Kendo won't be an especially time efficient activity. You will gain a few things that would be useful. An ability to carry yourself well, a certain understanding of some principles that might help, but your time would be far better spent in a good judo, or karate program if your goal is to be able to save your skin a bar brawl.