Zatoichi Fighting Style?

Posted by: HiTatsu

Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 05/25/05 03:30 PM

What is the name of the fighting style used by Zatoichi? Is there a Ryu that uses the inverse grip exclusively? I have seen this style in the Zatoichi movies and some times in shows like Kage no gundan some one will switch from a normal grip to the inverse grip. I know some knife fighting styles use this grip did one develop from the other which was first.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Aloha
Posted by: cxt

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 05/25/05 03:37 PM

Thing is that its not really style.

Many koryu have SOME reversed techniques--but they are meant to be used for specifc things--NOT used like they are "normal" techniques.

Bascially a "made-up" for the movies.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 05/25/05 03:44 PM

This inverted grip has some very real tactical problems. When compared to a normal grip it cuts back on your range, control, power, ability to control the centerline, and ability to deflect attacks coming from particular angles. It's just a movie.

Knives are fundamentally different than swords. What works with a knife will not necessarily work with a sword.

You should try searching the forum for Zatoichi and "reverse grip". It's been discussed several times before. Also try searching the forums over at http://www.swordforum.com and http://www.e-budo.com/forum/
Posted by: Satori_Ryu

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 05/25/05 04:12 PM

The great thing about the style used in Zatoichi (as well as many other sword movies) is that they don't really show the techniques very well. They like to blur the action and pull the camera away. As stated previously, using only an underhanded grip really limits the number of cuts you can do.
Posted by: Nagamaki

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 05/31/05 11:12 PM

Quote:

The great thing about the style used in Zatoichi (as well as many other sword movies) is that they don't really show the techniques very well. They like to blur the action and pull the camera away. As stated previously, using only an underhanded grip really limits the number of cuts you can do.

maybe this guy can help

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/about_me.aspx?s=zatoichi_ryu

he knows Zatoichi ryu
Posted by: splice

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 06/01/05 06:23 AM

To be fair, the guy MADE UP an art he calls Zatoichi Ryu, based on the zatoichi movie. Just as much credibility as if I claimed to teach lightsaber style VII applied to kendo, or something like Mifune-ryu kenjutsu.

Some people like living in their fantasies. Some of us just swing a stick .
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 06/01/05 11:48 AM

Aww, that's just kinda sad.

And look, he's "going for his master" in Hwa Rang Tang Soo Do, how cute.

Can I go for my master?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 06/01/05 12:27 PM

Daito Ryu kenjutsu???

I know some branchs of Daito do alot of sword work--but an entire style of kenjutsu that is NAMED after Daito ryu?

Seems odd to me.

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 06/02/05 01:42 AM

yep, some people believe too much on what movies portrays.

OT: hows the HNIR seminar in canada went?
Posted by: splice

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 06/02/05 11:24 AM

The seminar was great, as usual. Good training, and lots of neat stories from hyaku-sensei. Did you know he was in the original star wars movie?

Re: Zatoichi Fighting Style? - 06/03/05 01:06 AM

Quote:

The seminar was great, as usual. Good training, and lots of neat stories from hyaku-sensei. Did you know he was in the original star wars movie?

REALLY? i didnt know that.
Hyaku sensei never told me.

sometimes life is unfair