Kenjutsu in STAR WARS!

Posted by: mma

Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/23/05 03:01 AM

Hey! I just saw a live Kenjutsu demonstration at the premier of the movie STAR WARS III revenge of the sith (awesom movie)! I'm sold, i gotta find a Kenjutsu school! I'm already a Jiujitsu student, so this should be fun. Anyone know of any refutable Kenjitsu dojos in the Southern California area?
Posted by: Gunyo Kogusoku

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/23/05 05:36 AM

Quote:

Hey! I just saw a live Kenjutsu demonstration at the premier of the movie STAR WARS III revenge of the sith (awesom movie)! I'm sold, i gotta find a Kenjutsu school! I'm already a Jiujitsu student, so this should be fun. Anyone know of any refutable Kenjitsu dojos in the Southern California area?

It's a movie. Real kenjutsu is nothing like the theatrical swordplay they use in the Star Wars saga, which is a mish mash of kendo, fencing, tennis & plain ol' wood chopping.

And it's reputable, not refutable.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/23/05 08:17 AM

I think he was saying that he saw a kenjutsu group demo while waiting to see Star Wars.

There are a number of training oppurtunities in Socal. Search the forum over at http://www.swordforum.com and http://www.e-budo.com/forum/ Search for cities near you and the terms kenjutsu iaijutsu iaido and shinkendo.
Posted by: Kusarigama

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/23/05 08:19 AM

There are Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo Study Groups in Anaheim and Irvine, California.

For information on Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo in the United States, please see the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo USA Shibu website, which is officially sanctioned by Katsuse Yoshimitsu Sensei, the 15th Generation Headmaster:

http://suioryu-usa.org/
Posted by: Stony

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/24/05 06:34 AM

Just some useless FYI. Mark Hamill took 6 months of Kendo lessons to prepare for his fight scene in Return of the Jedi.
Posted by: freakyfencer

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/24/05 07:00 PM

Quote:

Just some useless FYI. Mark Hamill took 6 months of Kendo lessons to prepare for his fight scene in Return of the Jedi.

Also, each character has their own refined sword style. The books go into them in more detail. For example, Count Dooku's style is immersed heavily in western fencing, while the style of Obi-Wan is reminiscent more of an eastern art.
Posted by: Nagamaki

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/31/05 10:10 AM

how about Yoda's sword style?
Posted by: freakyfencer

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/31/05 03:45 PM

Yoda is a practioner of the refined art of Little Jumping Green Dudes, which is another way of saying that I have no idea.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/31/05 04:32 PM

Practiced much on the trampoline I have. Many injuries incurred I did. Both ears re grafted had to be.

Like most fights in movies choreography takes precident over accurate form, so a melting pot of styles is used to create the 'wow' factor.

I will say this (with no shame) A buddy of mine got one of those FX lightsabers (the grown up toys with metal handles and motion sensitive sounds), And I used it to practice the few iaito sequences that I usually practice with my katana (the switch on and off replacing the un + re sheath) and it was cool as #uck!!
Posted by: Nagamaki

Re: Kenjutsu in STAR WARS! - 05/31/05 10:46 PM

trampoline? thats a disappointment. i happened to be impressed to yodas sword style.ill study it if i could. but, with arthritis... darn.