Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff)

Posted by: RedRaven

Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/18/05 01:42 PM

Im just posting this to start a discussion hopefully humorous about bokken injuries or injuries while sparring
My friend and I were sparring with bokken when he sliped just as I was attacking and I hit him right below the eye i felt so bad. Yeah we should probably use protective gear but we find it slows us down but oo well just wondering if anybody has more humorous stories. Oh yeah my friend is okay now.

RedRaven Yes I name my swords
Posted by: Nik_Miller

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/18/05 01:51 PM

I was useing a steel blunt and my friend was useing a waster. Well we were practiceing a short edge displacement from a low guard against a cut to the head. And we got to doing it pretty hard when on one displacement my steel sword broke the waster in the middle of the"blade" (go figure huh) and the lower(tip) portion of the blade kept on its same trajectory right for my left eye. It glanced slightly off my glasses and the lenses when flying in opposite directions and I had a good size cut/contusion right below my left eye. Made for a cool scare and embarassing story
Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/18/05 01:55 PM

Same deal here, except we were "choreographing" ,if that's what you want to call it, a fight scene and we were on a small hill, he was supposed to be pushing me off and i would take a roll. However when we were actually doing it he lost his balance as i came in with a jumping downward strike that could be seen miles away. and he coudln't block it so it came down on his head. Man i felt so bad. LOL but it was funny as hell and the bad part was taht the camera man didn't catch that on video... so it was all for naught.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/18/05 02:30 PM

I was doing draw and strike (two count) with a fellow student, who in turn had to read the draw and parry accordingly.
All was going well, and our instructor told us to up the tempo and go for a 3 count (strike,parry and counter), my partner kind of got his coordination wrong and tried to use the counter to parry, this meant I cracked him on the knuckles, he instinctively dropped the bokken, which landed on his bare little foot! The site of this guy hopping up and down in his gi, trying to rub his hand better and keep his balance on one foot was enough to make me have an absolute fit, and was made worse by my instructor doing the same! infectious laughter is too hard to fight
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/22/05 04:46 AM

We were training a few weeks ago with bokken vs jo learning a whole lot of new drills with attacks and parries.

My training partner had my jo [a nice heavy japanese white oak one] and for some reason she couldn't explain, instead of targeting my torso during a parry as she was supposed to do, she brought the damned thing down on my head! Luckily I saw it coming and moved back but not far enough and still got a glancing blow down the temple.

It just poleaxed me and I went straight to the floor seeing stars.

Luckily our founder & head instructor were right next to us and they literally threw their weapons down, picked me up and revived me. My head was very sore for the rest of the afternoon and I ended up with a splitting headache for a day or so.

I am a lot more cautious when partnered with this lady now and make sure that my whole body is out of range just in case! And we use her jo instead of mine because its not as heavy...
Posted by: freakyfencer

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/24/05 07:04 PM

Back when I took beginning fencing, we took a three week introductory course to historical fencing. One of the things we worked on was the style of the Longsword, using the Shinai. Well as I'm sure most of you know, Fencers are generally concerned with thrusting weapons (except for Saber fencers), and were wholly unprepared for a completely different style. The first day our instructor let us free fence with the Shinai, my opponent went back to her thrusting habit, right into my chest. Not only did it send me to the ground, but I had a red mark on my chest for a week.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/24/05 07:58 PM

I'm guessing that's why the kendo guys use armor

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/24/05 08:06 PM

True... we just had on the standard fencing attire, which really is not equipped to handle an attack from a Shinai if not done correctly.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/24/05 09:05 PM

Heh. I'd say it's not equipped to handle attacks from a shinai WHEN done correctly either.

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/25/05 09:45 AM

That's true... I study modern fencing in my academy, but I'd probably go elsewhere for a historical course, even though my place does offer it.
Posted by: Satori_Ryu

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/25/05 04:54 PM

I have been very fortunate that the worse injury that I have recieved in sword training has been a small cut from a plasitc Cold Steal bokken just the other day.

The worst injury that I ever dished out was on my roommates girlfriend. We were in class and it was her birthday. To celebrate, my sensei had the class fight her with pvc pipe wraped in foam. When I was sparring with her, I got too close and accidentally hit her with that butt of the handle (which was not covered). That dislocated her finger, and she had to go the emergency room.

It was nothing serious, and we laugh about it now. She really freaks out doctors now because she can tell them exactly when she got her tetanus shot.
Posted by: Nagamaki

Re: Bokken Injuries (Joke stuff) - 05/29/05 03:34 AM

Quote:

Im just posting this to start a discussion hopefully humorous about bokken injuries or injuries while sparring
My friend and I were sparring with bokken when he sliped just as I was attacking and I hit him right below the eye i felt so bad. Yeah we should probably use protective gear but we find it slows us down but oo well just wondering if anybody has more humorous stories. Oh yeah my friend is okay now.

RedRaven Yes I name my swords

i really do hope that youre doin paried forms stuffs, Shitadachi and Uchidachi. If youre in to bokken free sparring, that wouldnt be very funny when somebody's skull get cracked.

anyway enjoy