Bokken

Posted by: samuraiofshadows

Bokken - 05/16/05 06:07 PM

I was thinking of buying a bokken because my mother will not permit me to buy a actual kattana so i was wondering if there are any brand name that are good and also i would like to find one with good aesthetic appearance but also durable because me and my brother,cousins usually play fight against eachother with sticks, broom handles etc.

I had asked my woods teacher today about it because he is into swords and i had mentioned red oak because i read about it earlier but he told me to buy an ash one.. i was just wondering on some brand names that are usually good and what wood

thankyou.
Posted by: splice

Re: Bokken - 05/16/05 08:17 PM

Seidokai has a good selection of standard weapons, and you can also get customized ones as well (selection of wood, shape, etc.). Keep in mind these are Canadian dollars and so cheaper than you'd probably expect.

Everything is of good quality. The Japanese white oak would stand some abuse, but it all depends what you hit it against and how... Broomsticks wouldn't be an issue I think. If buying from somewhere else, remember that red oak is crushable, hickory is a better choice.
Posted by: Xavier

Re: Bokken - 05/17/05 05:10 PM

i've had a few red oaks and i have to say they can tak alot of hits
Posted by: samuraiofshadows

Re: Bokken - 05/17/05 09:47 PM

ok thankyou,i was thinking of ordering one of karate depot. But I think I will look in a martial arts store if i can find one and see if they have one that way i don't have to go through shipping etc.