Kenjutsu Dojo In CT

Posted by: Zelirin

Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 05/16/05 01:13 PM

Hello,
I am currently 15 years old in search of a dojo. I been interested in this art of many many years sence I can remember really. But I never had enough money to take apone this art. I will be turning 16 and I want to drop school and devote my life completly to this. But In this modren world you can't suvive unless you have a high school education. I need a dojo located in connecticut that is willing to take apone young aprentice. I am willing to do basically anything I can to try my best to master this art. Can any of you help me out? I been trying to find one on google but didn't get to far. It dosn't have to be located in CT but it can't be to far don't have the money to buy a plane ticket.
Posted by: Walter Wong

Re: Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 05/16/05 02:18 PM

http://suioryu-usa.org/
Get the email from there and ask about their Providence, Rhode Island location.

Re: Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 05/16/05 02:30 PM

Thanks alot. =)

Re: Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 05/20/05 12:29 PM

Hmm, Well I got an e-mail back. I have to be 18 plus to beable to join sadly. Anyone know of any others?
Posted by: kroh

Re: Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 06/07/05 07:59 AM

Why would you want to drop out of school to pursue something fully when you have all the time in the world to learn? What's the hurry? I was learning martial arts at your age and going to school at the same time. I also took the practice into the military with me and studied there as well.

There are plenty of schools in your area that teach kenjutsu but most of them will be loathe to teach some one under the age of 18 (some of the ones I know won't allow some one under 21) Besides, being in high school and about to quit, can you honestly afford a shinken (real sword)?

I can honestly tell you that quiting school to become a martial arts groupie is a bad idea. I know people that have quit for one reason or another and they always have regretted it later.

Stay in school and finish what you started. Once you get the diploma you can strike out and do whatever. But think about the future. Kejutsu has been around for centuries. It's not going to fade out in the next few years and in this country you are going to be hard pressed to find some one to take you in as uchideshi (live in student). So I say again, WHat's the hurry?

Good Luck,
Regards,
Walt

Good luck,
Regards,
Walt
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 06/07/05 10:17 AM

Quote:

I will be turning 16 and I want to drop school and devote my life completly to this.

Wow do you have the wrong idea. You will never be able to support yourself doing this for a living. Worse, you'll never be able to afford the frequent trips to seminars, the gear, the swords(from Japan the run anywhere from $5000 to $20,000 or so). That's not even counting the cost of trips to Japan to visit your parent dojo for additional training.

If you are really serious, you need to stay in school and study hard. You want to go to college and get a degree that will lead to a good job. Information Technology seems to be popular with Sword jockeys for some reason. That will give you the spare income you're gonna need to take up this lifelong pursuit. It's not cheap.
Posted by: Walter Wong

Re: Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 06/07/05 10:38 AM

I seemed to have overlooked the 16 yr old dropping out of school part of the first post.

Yes, I agree with everyone that you should not drop out of school just for swordsmanship. Being a swordsman isn't gonna get you the important things in life like money to put food in your stomach and put a roof over your head. Swordsmanship is a great thing, but you have to make a living having a job that pays first before you sign up for sword classes. And you get a job after you finish high school/college. Also you need a job to make money to pay for those sword classes. So you can't really quit school.
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: Kenjutsu Dojo In CT - 06/07/05 03:13 PM

Mr. Zelirin,
The folks here have given you some very good advice and very good reasons to stay in school. I will give you one you have failed to consider. The sword arts are not a commodity that is bought and sold by anyone that has the money. The koryu have been around for several hundred years, and they still exist today, because they tend to be pretty picky about who can learn. The way most sensei tend to handle someone that wants to learn is they'll interview them. Sometimes they'll have to interview and answer questions about their background several times. They may be asked to attend several classes in order to determine if they are someone that will benefit the ryu. Only after all this will they actually be allowed to join. Someone that did not have the fortitude to finish school would not impress me as someone that would be of benefit to the ryu. It would tell me that they would just quit the ryu when it got hard for them rather than gutting it out and learning.

Just my thoughts on it, but it's something you should seriously think about.