Ancient Persian swordfighting

Posted by: FuzzyVikingBear

Ancient Persian swordfighting - 05/11/05 07:29 PM

Hey hey! this is my first post here, so I'll start off by saying hi
I've been doing bajesus-loads of research trying to find any information on ancient (Achaemenid) Persian swordfighting techniques, but haven't been able to find anything. Can anybody help me out here?
Posted by: robot

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 05/11/05 07:37 PM

Sorry I dont know but Good Luck to you.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 05/11/05 08:20 PM

I'm guessing your out of luck. Have you tried Swordforum(http://www.swordforum.com )?
Posted by: B_r_u_n_e_t_t_e

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 05/11/05 08:31 PM

I dont have any idea, sorry. But ancient Persian sword fighting sounds really interesting. If you find anything about it please update!

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 05/13/05 02:11 AM

hey hey!
From what I've found, the Persians of the Achaemenid dynasty used straight short swords called acinaces. I'd previously thought they used curved blades as they do in later times. Then again, for all I know they had both straight and curved blades! In the case of the straight bladed acinaces, the closest I've come to finding any swordfighting arts for the Achaemenids would be to infer that their style was similar to that of the Greeks. Which means I gotta find out how the GREEKS fought with shortswords now...

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 05/20/05 07:25 PM

Varzesh-e-Baustani I found it on http://www.iranonline.com/magazine/issue3/varzesh/
I just put search Acient Persian Sword Fighting.
PEACE

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 05/20/05 08:54 PM

I've found that too, but upon further inspection, it seems that Varzesh-e-Baustani is not an actual swordfighting art. It does seem like it would be good for exercising while training, though.

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 06/03/05 10:12 PM

Check out Martialinfo.com
Posted by: Fendente

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 07/21/05 07:31 AM

Hi there. i know absolutely nothing of persian sword fighting, but i would assume that they would have adopted similar tactics to the Hellenic warriors of the time. Meaning fighting in close formation in phalanx, and not a whole lot of single sword play. Maybe searching for references to the plataea or Thermopylae battles would give a little insight into their style of fighting.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 07/21/05 11:08 AM

There was a program on Afghanistan some time back and the mention that they continue to carry swords for self-defense. Maybe you might find some resources by back-tracing through the Afghan culture. Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 07/21/05 12:30 PM

try here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ancientpersia/org_frm.html
and
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846
here's the thing - the persians were known for being archers, slingers and javelin throwers. the greeks were known for heavy infantry. when the greeks put together a large army, they would hire persian mercenary archers, and when the persians put together a large army, they would hire greek mercenary infantrymen.

the persians, when fighting face to face with shock weapons, probrably used skills picked up from the greeks.

typically, a greek of the period would not start fighting with a sword, the weapon used would be long spear and a very large shield. they would charge in lines at the enemy line, with up to 8 rows behing the first row pushing to give extra force. the sides would crash and then all hell would break loose, with people hitting each other with broken spears and swords and shields.

the swords used were about 14 inches long, made of bronze, about 4 inches wide at the widest point. the metal had trouble holding an edge, and they weren't strong enough to crash sword to sword like later swords were. typically, soliders wore helmets with nose guards, armor on their shins (the shin was a great target) and a heavy shield. if they had some extra money, they would have a breastplate.

can you be a little more specific as to what you are looking for?
Posted by: sidonianwolf

Re: Ancient Persian swordfighting - 08/04/05 06:46 AM

Yes, i agree with the previous post, most of the greeks of the helenistic period used the long spear in tight formation so i doubt that the persians learned swordplay from them?
I think it was the romans who finally made good use of the short sword, the gladius, against the greeks.