Thoughts?

Posted by: glad2bhere

Thoughts? - 05/11/05 08:55 AM

I thought I would run this by others on this Net and find out if anyone else is having the same experience.

a.) Is anyone else having difficulty getting used to this new system? It does not seem to flow very well for me. Most of the systems that folks use to manage a Net seem to be more "intuitive"--- more "natural" in how they work. This one seem to be more jumbled.

b.) Seems as though moderators on these Nets are becoming much more rigid in their management. It seems to me as though something really important has happened in the last couple of monthes behind the scenes and now all of the moderators have become overly concerned with not varying from themes, thread-drift, thread length and identity.

c.) Seem as though there is a greater push towards "subscriptions" and membership fees than I remember before.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Thoughts? - 05/11/05 10:33 AM

a) Seems to be layed out more or less like MartialTalk or Budoseek. Probably because of similar software. I don't seem to have too much trouble. It would be nice to have a generic reply, rather than having to reply to specific posts, but that's a minor quibble.

b)I've noticed that mostly here, and to a lesser extent Swordforum. I suspect the deal at swordforum is an increase in topics that don't quite fit with the way Swordforum was pre-E-budo collapse. Swordforum seems to me to have always tried to avoid the kind of conflict that E-budo was famous for. With E-budo gone, a lot of E-budo regulars are now on Swordforum and triggering more intervention on the part of the moderators. That's the way it looks to me anyway. I'm kinda looking forward to the return of E-budo.

c)Who has subscriptions and membership fees? I haven't noticed that. Not mandatory ones anyway.
Posted by: Gemini

Re: Thoughts? - 05/11/05 03:02 PM

In some ways it does seem to go "The long way around the block" but it's a definate improvement over the old format. Issues like the "Reply" and not being able to toggle through Active Topics are annoying to a degree, but it's nothing major. I wish you could still refer to previous posts though. This way you can only refer back to the one you're replying to. all in all, I still think it was a step in the right direction.

As far as moderator intervention, in some cases I'm glad about it. Topics can go "Off topic" in a hurry.