Seperate "Simple Questions" Board

Posted by: Anonymous

Seperate "Simple Questions" Board - 04/18/05 04:11 PM

I have been a part of this site for around 3-4 months now and I have learned a few things. One, I can learn a lot from people who know what they're talking about (which I think in essence is what the reason for this entire site is). Two, some people can be rude and offensive, and often arrogant. And finally three, when trying to learn something as stated in point One, a lot of point Two can happen.

I agree, some of the questions that are made into an entirely new post are uneccessary at best. I, for one, being a person who has asked small, "noob"-ish questions knows what it's like to be ridiculed because of a small question. By small questions, I mean the kind that you might ask that would only need one or two replies, not an entire discussion: the kind that you would ask to find out a small piece of information in attempting to further a persons knowledge of the Martial Arts. A few examples of these might be: "What do the characters on a Thai Boxers shorts signify?"; "What are the differences between American Kickboxing, and Muay Thai?"; "What are the differences between a Bo staff and Jo staff?"; "What is an art that I could take in order to learn how to use the Sai's?"

Now I know that there is not one person on this site that has wanted to know something small, but has been afraid of someone picking fun at them because it may be a somewhat "dumb" question. And, you can't find any answers on any search engine you attempt to look at, but you still want to know the answer to that question, right? Isn't the purpose of this site to educate the past, present, or future children of the Martial Arts and to train them mentally? I being a big fan of the site would certainly like to think so.

I know that you cannot control what people say, so what I propose is that, in turn, we make a new board for those simple little questions that some may be afraid to ask in fear of "Noob bashing." Why not make a board with an environment where all of the people asking the simple questions, do so together without that fear. In a place where they might feel comfortable to ask the small questions that would help them along in their path of Budo.

Just a suggestion-

-Kagemusha-