Serif font

Posted by: Anonymous

Serif font - 01/13/05 09:10 AM

I noticed today that the posts on this site all use San-serif fonts. I realized this because, looking at a long, blocky post, I found myself practically blinded.

I thought I'd bring this to the attention of the administrators. I realize that it could be an incredibly large hassle to switch the font types, but could we please have some form of a Serif font?

For those of you who don't know, a Serif font is a font that has "feet" to guide the eyes along (the most well-known is "Times New-Roman). San-serif does not, which makes it hard to read in large pieces. That's why all books are written in a Serif font.

I'd like to at least get this out in the open, so I'd really appreciate as many comments as I can get.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Serif font - 01/13/05 12:43 PM

Good point! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Sans serif has always been traditionally difficult to read and I have banned the use of these fonts in my company. I know they look "modern" but readability is just as important if not more important than the look of the text.

The default font family for most web pages is times new roman.

A lot of the problems with reading blocks of posts is because the members typing them leave out punctuation and type far to long sentances.

Re: Serif font - 01/16/05 09:30 PM

I agree, but don't get me started on grammar [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] .

I need more support to bring this to anybody's attention. Any comments are welcome!

Re: Serif font - 01/17/05 11:37 PM

feet?

i dont get the difference between serif and sans serif

Re: Serif font - 01/18/05 11:48 AM

The "feet" (serif=feet in French, I think) are the little extentions that you see in some fonts. They may simply look stylistic, but they do have a purpose. Read ANY book or long piece of good writing and it will have those little feet. They make the reading much easier.

Re: Serif font - 02/25/05 01:23 PM

Sans serif has little feet. Look at the T.
T - has little sans (foot) pointing down at the cross.
t - Has a little sans (foot)pointing up at the bottom.

I will try something, hopefully UBB code will let me...

Alright, it wont... open a word proccessor program, and type a sentance using Times New Roman. Type the same sentance and make it Arial, and increase the font size to like 40 pt. and you should see the difference.

[This message has been edited by coxne (edited 02-25-2005).]