Flood control

Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Flood control - 09/05/04 10:29 PM

How about detecting the IP address and limiting the number of posts that comes from an IP address or Username.

Eg. After 3 posts, disable the user from posting for the rest of the day.

This would be less annoying than the current system where I get disabled from posting on my first attempt.<<This really bothers me when I am in a rush.

What you think?

Just as I was about to post this message I got this display:

Sorry! We have flood-control activated. You cannot post within 300 seconds of your last post. Please try again after this period of time elapses.

I had to wait for five minutes!!!!! OMG
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Flood control - 09/07/04 07:39 AM

So you would rather wait a whole day rather than five minutes?
Makes lots of sense.
Posted by: isshinkai

Re: Flood control - 10/22/04 09:50 PM

the flood control should be just a minute or thrown out completely i e-mailed chris caile about it but he never responded

[This message has been edited by isshinkai (edited 10-22-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Flood control - 11/03/04 11:44 PM

yeah i agree the flood control is stupid 5 min is way 2 long 2 wait, 5 min is longer then what ya think ya know very annoying, they definately gotta change that, they should have it changed 2 like 2 min, i think changing the post 2 three a day would be stupid though i mean alot of people probably post way more then 3 times a day
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Flood control - 11/04/04 01:21 AM

Flood control was put in place for a purpose. It deters trolls from making multiple posts in a short period of time. This keeps them from being able to infect the forum with total nonsense.

This function also helps reduce the more "heated" emotional posts and cuts down on flame wars.

If your in that much of a hurry and can't wait 5 minutes to post again, it's not that important. If it is important then it deserves more time to think about and articulate your response.
Posted by: Akiba

Re: Flood control - 11/04/04 06:05 AM

I'd agree with that. Sometimes it is a little annoying but it’s not that long really. You could always type your next post in word and spell check it then we wouldn't get loads of text talk too.
Posted by: jaret345

Re: Flood control - 05/10/05 12:42 PM

there isn't a 5 minute flood control anymore
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Flood control - 05/10/05 09:47 PM

Those posts are from last year, before our recent forum change. There is no flood control now, but there can be if people act up. So behave.