Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com

Posted by: BrianS

Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/25/08 06:36 PM

Do you think the site could be a little harsher on stupid posts and trolls running rampant?

We had kapow make stupid posts over and over in internal arts until Reiki finally locked it.

We have The_Master ruining the stickies and constantly making stupid posts.

We also have StreetKOArtist making stupid posts. His first one being a fight at his school.

Geez. I remember when if you had the words street,fight,master,etc...in you username it was an automatic ban.

The site is being taken over by stupid trolls, stupid posts,and school kids. Bad enough we already have a load of mcdojoism going on here,lol.

Do something!!
Posted by: harlan

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/25/08 06:56 PM

You volunteering? Again??
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/25/08 07:24 PM

I think everybody was harsh to StreetKOartist, LOL. He did seem to get the message, FWIW.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/25/08 07:36 PM

Geez the fun I miss when I don't come here for about a week.

Casey
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/25/08 10:55 PM

Hello Casey:

You...you mean there is "LIFE" possible without a keyboard....

Jeff
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/25/08 10:59 PM

Hello Brian:

Precisely what'd you have in mind.... ???

Jeff

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/25/08 11:05 PM

Hello Jeff,

Precisely as I stated in my first post. A little harsher on stupid posts and trolls... !!!

Brian

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/26/08 12:27 AM

Ronin,
Due to life's unexpected curve balls, yeah here's been a little on the busy side. I hope things will settle down a bit. I miss my usual routine of: getting my son off to school, fix breakfast for my daughter, and hop on the computer to see what is going on in cyberspace, fix some lunch, do a little housework, get my son from school, homework, fix dinner, baths, kids to bed, and hop back onto the internet. It's not much of a life, but it's my life. Things will slow down in a little over a month, I'll then complain that there's not enough noise/activity in the house.

Casey

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/26/08 01:55 AM

Hey, could we stay on track here!
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/26/08 01:58 AM

You know i'm all for such a policy, but then there will be the argument of what constitutes a dumb post or a troll, and not everyone will agree on that, unfortunately.
Posted by: General_Neo

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/26/08 06:54 AM

Yea...i have 2 agree with Zach Zinn...there would be a great problem in defining a troll or a dumb post...

I guess there could be a poll set up if there is any question as to whether it is a troll or dumb post...

take care,
Neo
Posted by: trevek

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/26/08 01:02 PM

Can't the stickies be locked and if anyone wants to add to them then an alternative thread be started? can't th-master's additions be moved to another place?

But yes, maybe have a 'dumb-posts' bin where these can be put.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/26/08 10:44 PM

or everyone could use the ultimate weapon against stupidity: ignoring it with silence.

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/29/08 11:14 PM

So, I suppose this won't be taken seriously? Or even looked at by other mods,admin?

Quote:

or everyone could use the ultimate weapon against stupidity: ignoring it with silence.

if only.

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 04/30/08 01:14 AM

Quote:

So, I suppose this won't be taken seriously? Or even looked at by other mods,admin?

Quote:

if only.

Lol yeah, unfortunately ignoring often seems to result in getting the offending party to publish a full thesis

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/12/08 12:06 AM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15998618

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15998672

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15998567

More stupid posts. yay
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/12/08 07:11 AM

Remove all stupid posts/threads to another section of the forum (the "warehouse", etc)
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/12/08 10:15 AM

I'm looking into it.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/13/08 01:33 AM

Brian S

And it seems to be getting worse.

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/13/08 06:01 AM

Have an "under the bridge" forum where members can banish a post if it is too trolly.

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/13/08 07:57 AM

Can we get a special forum just for The_Master's views and comments... thy are soooooo hilarious.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/13/08 09:02 AM

I believe I may just have to bust out my atrophied cartoon skills.

Re: Stupid posts,trolls,mcdojoism at fa.com - 05/13/08 10:10 AM

YEAH! AN OLDMAN CARTOON!!!!!!

Clearly advertising - 05/13/08 04:12 PM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15998709

Can't get anymore blatant.....

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/13/08 04:26 PM

And this isn't?

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15998189

We are little shy on moderators right now, but maybe a nice reply to the newbies about what constitutes advertising?

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/13/08 06:40 PM

I thought that free content from ad sites was acceptable. To rule otherwise would disallow content from damn near everywhere on the internet. I also thought that links in signatures were OK for the most part. Many other members have them. I don't see either one of those as blatant advertising.

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/13/08 10:46 PM

Quote:

And this isn't?

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15998189

We are little shy on moderators right now, but maybe a nice reply to the newbies about what constitutes advertising?

I agree,but it's not as blatant.

Matt,

I would rule out any and all advertising in signatures or not that clearly would benefit the poster monetarily. You should pay for advertising in any case imo.

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/14/08 08:58 AM

Maybe this could be sorted out:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...part=3&vc=1

sexual insults are a mega-no-no

vote for ban - 05/14/08 09:03 AM

Huh. Trevek...you sure you don't want to moderate part-time?

Clearly, a post deserving of a ban.

Site suggestion: can you PLEASE adjust the title to 'Banned' (or something similar)...to give the regular forum members a sense of closure? That, or start a banned list.

Thank you.

(I'll take the malt with NO water and NO ice.)

Re: vote for ban - 05/14/08 09:19 AM

Harlan, I was asked once but didn't have the time. can I be a floating Mod?

The only think I take in my double malt whisky is more malt whisky.

Re: vote for ban - 05/14/08 10:06 AM

The_Master should be banned immediately.

Re: vote for ban - 05/14/08 10:40 AM

Check out Cord's handiwork. The master has ceased to be!
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/14/08 10:23 PM

My question is this: is it considered advertising to post links to your own site even if the info is free? I have been thinking about it and that is my only object to ttruscott's posts. And the fact that not all the links are really relevant to what is being talked about.

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 06:58 AM

Members have asked these questions before, and it comes down to the FAQ/rules being rather open. I believe Admin might have asked Mr. Caille, the site owner, before. But no changes/updates/clarifications have been made.
Posted by: dandjurdjevic

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 07:05 AM

He's back...

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 07:08 AM

Tell admin. by using the 'Notify moderator' button on his posts.

Most of the participants in this thread are former mods...so we can complain...but can't help out.

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 07:33 AM

Quote:

My question is this: is it considered advertising to post links to your own site even if the info is free? I have been thinking about it and that is my only object to ttruscott's posts. And the fact that not all the links are really relevant to what is being talked about.

I asked Mr Caile when I was admin. His response was that free content from ad links in signatures was OK. If the sig was a link to a no-info ad site, then it was not allowed. Again, disallowing all ad links (even if they have free-content) would eliminate most of the links on this site. That would be like other forums banning FA.com because we have ads on this site.

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 08:02 AM

Well...it would be nice if Admin could update/tweak the rules a bit to reflect that.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/faq.php?Cat=0#rules

Personally, I get 'irked' when members come across as merely 'using' the site for self-gain. Looking to garner new students, promoting their wares (free or otherwise...cause 'free' today could add up to a book or seminar down the road that isn't), or just in general 'taking' from the site.

As was mentioned before, those that add to the site, that contribute, helps to figure the 'intent' of the individual.

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 08:44 AM

The rules in that FAQ are actually part of the generic UBB program, not specific to this (or any) forum. They can be modified, if I remember correctly.

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 02:18 PM

Thanks, that helps clarify it for me.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Clearly advertising - 05/15/08 07:55 PM

Nevermind... I am getting senile. I see it.

More of Ted Scott's advertising - 05/19/08 04:56 PM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...f395c87c8bc8383
Posted by: oldman

Re: More of Ted Scott's advertising - 05/19/08 09:33 PM

ttruscott is big pimpin. When you start posting with completely unrelated product offering you should get the boot.

He's not contributing, he's using.

Re: More of Ted Scott's advertising - 05/20/08 12:39 AM

Yes, but somebody that can do something has to pay attention, and care.

site suggestion - 05/20/08 12:19 PM

Not that it will ever happen...but how about real names and bio?

Re: More of Ted Scott's advertising - 05/20/08 01:10 PM

They have to care enough to hit that "Notify Moderator" button.

Re: More of Ted Scott's advertising - 05/20/08 01:19 PM

I sent him a friendly warning. If it happens again, he'll see the door.

Re: More of Ted Scott's advertising - 05/20/08 02:23 PM

Quote:

They have to care enough to hit that "Notify Moderator" button.

I've done that every time.

Re: site suggestion - 05/20/08 07:37 PM

Quote:

I second this, I know it seems excessive to some, but I don't like an environment where some schmoe who won't reveal anything about his own background and training comes on and tells everyone how it is.

Re: site suggestion - 05/20/08 07:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I second this, I know it seems excessive to some, but I don't like an environment where some schmoe who won't reveal anything about his own background and training comes on and tells everyone how it is.

Why Zach, whatever do you mean? To whom could you be referring? lol.

What's to prevent some schmoe from using a fake name?

Re: site suggestion - 05/20/08 08:53 PM

I actually like this board because your real name isn't required to be shown. With some of the juvenile people that show up, there is always the thought of off-board harassment for me at least. I agree though that maybe a filled out bio should be made mandatory. I also personally wouldn't mind too much, revealing details to a mod/admin if one or more thought that a discussion had reached that point or there was some suspicion about grandiose claims etc. Just my .02cents

Re: site suggestion - 05/20/08 09:32 PM

Yes, if you are here and involved long enough you will be threatened. Your unknown identity will keep you safe.
I have been threatened and harrassed. I know of a member here who actually had threatening phone calls. With a family that is very scary.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: site suggestion - 05/21/08 06:23 AM

I used to really like the idea of having folks use their real names to foster accountability. That's why I've always used my real name. I think way too many people with fake user names come on board and throw [censored] on the wall just to see what sticks.

Brian's comment about people creating fake names is a valid one, unless they are actually instructors, in which case creating a fake name wouldn't make any sense if they were actually wanting to be seen within the martial arts online communities.

At this point however, I couldn't care less what people choose to do...forums are mostly GARBAGE! This one is no different! In a few cases, some people may actually benefit to some small degree through well-reasoned arguments. But I doubt this happens very much at all. For the most part, all you end up with is crap from kids, people who don't even train and have no intention to, and inexperienced martial artists who want to sound like experts. That's why I don't contribute as much as I used to. Its pointless. The real learning takes place on the dojo floor.

I don't care about who uses what name anymore. It doesn't make a difference to me. Let the lunatics run the asylum, at the end of the day, this place will be what it is; an internet forum for talking heads.

Re: site suggestion - 05/21/08 06:49 AM

Perhaps this thread should be renamed to 'the cynical ex-mod venting thread'?