Edit post window

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Edit post window - 10/22/06 08:03 PM

I recommend we change the maximum allowable time to re-edit posts to 5 or 10 minutes.
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: Edit post window - 10/22/06 11:02 PM

Quote:

I recommend we change the maximum allowable time to re-edit posts to 5 or 10 minutes.

I Think it should stay as it is.
I think that none moderators should go through the moderators before suggesting how a thread is run.

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 12:42 AM

Quote:

I think that none moderators should go through the moderators before suggesting how a thread is run.

hence this area for suggestions.

here's what happens when the edit window is too large:

Scenario 1:
poster A gives an opinion.

poster B gives theirs.

poster A makes poster B regret having wrote that remark.

poster B edits thier post, removing the statements that made them look like a jackass. lol

scenario 2:
poster A gives opinion.

poster B asks a dumb question.

poster A answers it.

poster B deletes dumb question.

poster C reads the thread and now can't tell what poster A or B are talking about!

5-10 minutes is standard edit time in other forums. the window here is what? 30 minutes? too long, IMO. people should think more before hitting that 'continue' button.

maybe shortening up the window would encourage this...and honesty.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 09:50 AM

I agree with Ed the non moderator. Editing should not be abused like it has been.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 01:01 PM

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hence this area for suggestions.

Scenario 1:

poster B gives theirs.

poster B edits thier post, removing the statements that made them look like a jackass. lol

scenario 2:
poster A gives opinion.

poster A answers it.

poster C reads the thread and now can't tell what poster A or B are talking about!

5-10 minutes is standard edit time in other forums. the window here is what? 30 minutes? too long, IMO. people should think more before hitting that 'continue' button.

Posted by: harlan

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 02:40 PM

We are not writing any college papers here...requiring many drafts and some periods of shelf time inbetween. The threads are more like...dialogue...only a little better; you can say something and once the words are 'out there'...there is no 'unsaying' them. Editing shouldn't be used to go into a post and restructure it, or edit it in such a way as to lose the original intent.

If a member has a bonafide handicap, either a substantial processing deficit, or other handicap that interferes with posting...then I think individual accomodations for editing post time should be available.

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 03:10 PM

Quote:

well andy, if posts haven't been deleted and severely altered from original, you might have been able to prove my hypothetical scenarios as B.S.

but since there is no longer any evidence proving it to be B.S. then you don't really have a case, do you.

I can't tell you how many times, I've read thru a thread, see your long reply to someone...then 4 people after you comment on your remarks, only for you to go back and delete the post and put " " in it's place.

"It's my perrogative." you said. ok, but it's my perrogative to see your actions as deceptive and ass-covering. it's my perrogative to request a change and a vote for a reduction of edit time.

the only B.S. I be smellin is coming from your posts that are edited 20 minutes after the fact.

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 04:20 PM

just wondering Matt, whats the current setting? I've seen some make changes over an hour after posting.

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 05:17 PM

The current edit window is 6 hours.

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 05:59 PM

lol...you are kidding me.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 06:23 PM

I believe it has always been a long period of time and possible always has been 6 hours.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 07:48 PM

Quote:

Scenario 1:

poster B gives theirs.

scenario 2:
poster A gives opinion.

poster A answers it.

A little rich, coming from you! :P

PS: Just joshing, yanking your chain...j/k

BTW, I'm handicapped. I take too long to respond to a post and by which time the post I'm making has expired and it tells me I have to go back and resumbit it, which I do, but it doesn't let me post because the post has expired.

The only way I can reply to a post is to copy the text, and paste it into a new reply/quote for it to work. Any chance we can increase the timeoput for a reply?

Oh, and 6 hours is waaaay too long for an edit window. If we can have 6 hours to edit the post, why can we have anything longer than 15 mins to compose a reply?
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Edit post window - 10/23/06 09:34 PM

I hear ya Eyrie. Theres nothing more aggravating thatn spending 20 mins on a reply just so you can go re type it.

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

well andy, if posts haven't been deleted and severely altered from original, you might have been able to prove my hypothetical scenarios as B.S.

but since there is no longer any evidence proving it to be B.S. then you don't really have a case, do you.

I can't tell you how many times, I've read thru a thread, see your long reply to someone...then 4 people after you comment on your remarks, only for you to go back and delete the post and put " " in it's place.

"It's my perrogative." you said. ok, but it's my perrogative to see your actions as deceptive and ass-covering. it's my perrogative to request a change and a vote for a reduction of edit time.

the only B.S. I be smellin is coming from your posts that are edited 20 minutes after the fact.

Ed

Deceptive? about what?
Ed can I ask you if you are getting paranoid about something?
I thought this was a fighting arts forum. I dont think I want to get to involved with someones interest in Psychoanalystic attempts or basing things on hypothetical scenarios.
Ed please do me a favour? If you want a discussion on anything then please keep it to the topic on Fighting arts or something interesting.

Thanks Andy

To other people on this forum
Until JOHN KOGAS ( moderator) pointed it out a few days ago I wasn’t aware that a complete post could be deleted.

The I posted should have been a cheesy grin. An EMBARRASSED grin.

If I removed something it will more than likely have been because of spelling or bad grammer or I didnt quite type what I was thinking. But it shouldnt happen any more.

I still think that none moderators should go through the moderators before suggesting how a thread is run.Or to the best of my knowledge if dramatic changes are to be made then to approach the owner of the website and suggest it to him.To the best of my knowledge again this is his website. We merely use it.

Andy

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 03:41 AM

Quote:

A little rich, coming from you! :P

PS: Just joshing, yanking your chain...j/k

BTW, I'm handicapped. I take too long to respond to a post and by which time the post I'm making has expired and it tells me I have to go back and resumbit it, which I do, but it doesn't let me post because the post has expired.

The only way I can reply to a post is to copy the text, and paste it into a new reply/quote for it to work. Any chance we can increase the timeoput for a reply?

Oh, and 6 hours is waaaay too long for an edit window. If we can have 6 hours to edit the post, why can we have anything longer than 15 mins to compose a reply?

I totaly agree but it would seem that some people think that everbody else is as fast as they are. The time limit should be extended to compose a reply.

edited to fix quote
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 09:23 AM

Quote:

I still think that none moderators should go through the moderators before suggesting how a thread is run.Or to the best of my knowledge if dramatic changes are to be made then to approach the owner of the website and suggest it to him.To the best of my knowledge again this is his website. We merely use it.

Hey genius, this is the SITE SUGGESTIONS forum, any clues on what people do in this section?

Changing the post edit time is hardly a "dramatic change" that would require the presence of Mr. Caile.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 09:40 AM

If you use Word to check your spelling then there is no need for extended posting period. It is a bit of a pain but at least you don't have to retype your post, just cut and paste it again.

As for the edit period i think 5-10 minutes is more than enough. If you are spell checking in Word then there is no need to go back and change your post. Thread continuity is more important than someone’s need to be lazy or fly off the handle and say something they will regret 5 hours from now. While this is Mr. Caile's site he place Matt in the position of administrator for a reason. As far as a "NON moderator" to make suggestions, this is the site suggestion section.

As far as "not typing what i was thinking" then in that case you should make a secondary post to clarify your statements, not change the original post. That only adds to confusion.

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 10:00 AM

well andy, I'd take up the open offer to become a moderator again, but then I'd be forced back into hunting VTG's due to my paranoia. "THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!! AAARRRGGHH!" lol

so I'll just use this suggestion area, like any other user is able to request.

looks like the votes are swinging towards honest posting practice.

I noticed you voted "Yes"...did you make a boo-boo and can't go back and change your vote?

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 10:11 AM

The post edit window has always been 6 hours on this version of the forum. I can't remember, but I think the old forum had a 24 hour edit window. I remember some people complaining when the current version was activated with the 6 hour limit.

I have no problem with the current edit window, but a shorter one would probably be better. The votes seem to agree so far. Just be prepared to see more spelling mistakes from me, LOL.

PS - Rip is working on the post time-out issue, and we hope to get that resolved soon.

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 01:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey genius, this is the SITE SUGGESTIONS forum, any clues on what people do in this section?

Changing the post edit time is hardly a "dramatic change" that would require the presence of Mr. Caile.

"Hey genius” Well now lets not get to excited . I couldn’t handle to many compliments in day.
Must admit though I am making progress but GENIUS well I will let you know when I share that opinion. Until then maybe you might consider keeping up the good work squatting.

Re: Edit post window - 10/24/06 01:22 PM

thanks for the update Matt.