Training Gear Forum

Posted by: migo

Training Gear Forum - 09/05/06 04:30 AM

This would go fairly well alongside the books and magazines forum. It would be nice to have discussion on equipment people have used.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/07/06 01:08 AM

I see no need for yet another section to the forum. This can be addressed in the "martial talk", "business side" or whatever section pertains to the particular "system", or lack there of, you are using the equipment for. IMO we already have too many unnecessary sections as it is.

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/07/06 08:01 PM

Certain people take a particular interest to gear, having a gear forum would have them checking there, and you'd have a better chance of getting their opinion than having to guess which other forums they might frequent.

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/08/06 02:10 AM

Certain people take a particular interest in spinning heel kicks, doesn't mean we need an entire section for them. While there are some who may desire to discuss their particular "gear", practitioners of all forms of martial arts training us training equipment. While all forms of training use some sort of training equipment not all forms use the same equipment. So it would be better to discuss equipment specific to your type of training either in the martial talk section or the region/genre specific section of the forum for you training style. There doesn't appear to be a big enough call for a section specific to training equipment.

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/08/06 02:20 AM

The appropriate alegory to spinning heel kicks in gear would be shin pads, not all gear. And you'd be surprised how discussion on equipment takes off when there is a forum.

Anyway, we've both presented our points of view, so up to the admins.

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/08/06 03:01 AM

I think you misunderstood my post. My heel kick analogy had nothing to do with the type of equipment used, although I fail to see where a shin pad works with or against spinning heel kicks but that is a different thread. I was simply pointing out that just because people have an affinity for a particular portion of training whether it’s gear or specific techniques doesn’t justify and entire section for them. Especially when it’s easier to discuss equipment specific to your “type” of training within that section among others who know what you are possibly looking for in that equipment. Most aikidoist would have little use for a grappling dummy but the judo/jujitsu/mma types may have much more to discuss. In terms of ease in finding discussion on specific items the search function works just fine. Additionally it’s more than likely a lot easier to find discussions of or people interested in discussing particular items if they are posted in a section that might actually use that item.

I can understand the feeling that there could be a use for a gear/equipment section as a lot of general equipment is used in a majority of training styles. I’m just basing my opinion on the fact that in the near two and a half years I’ve been on this forum I haven’t seen enough need for such a section. You should have seen the kicking and screaming it took just to get a separate weapons forum.

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/08/06 03:13 PM

No, I said one technique is analagous to one piece of equipment. I was saying your comparison was fallacious.

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/08/06 08:33 PM

Not one peice of equipment but rather one aspect of training. Regardless you got the point and as this thread has been here 3 days with over 40 views i'm sure you can see where the subject will go.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Training Gear Forum - 09/08/06 08:38 PM

Migo -

Suggestions are always welcome. I agree with laf that currently, I do not see a need for a seperate equipment forum. This can change if there is enough interest from the other members.