Fight fans forum

Posted by: Crash

Fight fans forum - 07/18/06 06:59 AM

Just a thought, the Grappling/MMA forum usually just talks about the UFC, Pride, the ultimate fighter etc, I guess you could say there are more fans than fighters in that forum. Kind of like the JKD forum, they just talk about Bruce Lee . I'm not complaining because I'm a huge MMA fan too, but I was thinking why not make a separate forum for that? If anybody watches boxing or whatever they could discuss that there too, why not? we have a forum for movies/ TV, fans but people don't post about MMA there, that forum is quiet in general. Just a thought, I'd be willing to moderate it, and I'm sure there are lots of other mods who would be up for the challenge. just an idea.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Fight fans forum - 07/18/06 07:16 AM

I think it's a nice idea, but it would be very difficult to classify what was allowed in the forum. If we allowed MMA and boxing, then what about kickboxing? What about TKD world championships, jujitsu chapionships, karate championships etc. etc. If we had such a diversity, it would be difficult to build up a group of "regulars" in there, which is existent in other forums.

I think it is best to talk about the competition side of a MA, in that MA's forum. That way we know the information is going to get to the group that it will interest the most. I think there is a similar problem at the moment with the tournament forum, in that it is far simpler to just use the particular MA's forum, rather than the general tournament forum.

If other mods feel there is a need for such a forum, then I will be very happy to have it merged with the tournament forum, since these events are basically sports martial arts. The only problem I see is the lack of specificity of such a forum.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Fight fans forum - 07/18/06 10:42 AM

Boxing/kickboxing and grappling/MMA fora both have their fair share of punditry regarding the televised competitions, but, if you think about it, there is no better example of technique in action, of what works and what doesnt.

Sure you have the fans offering conjecture (me included), but then you also have the 'best way to pass a guard' thread. Now you can either talk at length offering verbose descriptions of what to do, or you can (having ascertained the asker of the question is under instruction), suggest they watch St.Pierre own Trigg on the ground. talking about televised competition in a constructive way is illuminating, and all the types of threads you refer to do tend to have a couple of nuggets of gold in them.
Move them to a forum purely dedicated to the ignorant armchair warrior, and you suck any potential value out of the thread.
just my thoughts.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Fight fans forum - 07/18/06 12:11 PM

Points noted. Just an idea.