Capoeira

Posted by: IExcalibui2

Capoeira - 06/06/06 12:22 AM

hey I was just wondering why nearly all MA is represented here except Capoeira? And before anyone says anything, I dont practice it but I like it alot and just want to see equality in the forum in respect to the Martial Arts. alright I'm done
Posted by: Taison

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 06:21 AM

Quote:

I dont practice it but I like it alot

Answered your own question there.

There's no demand for this criteria, thus we can't supply.

And if we open a capoeiera, not many discussions will be held.

Quote:

equality in the forum in respect to the Martial Arts

We are trying, and although we have 12,000 registered members, we rarely have enough people to open one specific forum for a specific art. Look at boxing, shouldn't boxing deserve to have it's own forum? Well, no cuz boxing is a part of both Kickboxing and Muay Thai, so they go together and encourages more discussions. Just an example.

And a question for you. Do we have any members that knows capoeira to the point where he can boast skill or knowledge concerning the subject?

-Taison out
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 07:45 AM

Hi IExcalibui2.

I am always open to suggestions from the members. At this time, there does not yet seem to be enough interest in a dedicated Capoeira forum.

That can change if there is enough support from the members.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 08:22 AM

Its funny how me and TimBlack were talking about joining forums so that there were not as many forums, yet we get people always asking for new ones.

Having said that, I would have an interest in this forum if it were created.
You could maybe create one that was Capoeira/X-treme martial arts, therefore anyone interested in the cool flips and tricks side of martial arts could post there.
Just an idea, although I am happy with the forum the way it is at them moment.

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 11:55 AM

I just kinda felt like Capoeira didnt have a good place here, since ppl only talk about it in the general MA forum. And yea I've noticed there isnt too many capoeira guys here. I'm pretty suer cientista is one though.

And yea I agree with Tezza
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 12:26 PM

Other sites cater for XMA far better than FightingArts would be able to, and besides... We're called 'fighting' arts, not 'flippity-floppity cool Matrix shizzle' arts

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 12:47 PM

Quote by Tezza -

Quote:

Its funny how me and TimBlack were talking about joining forums so that there were not as many forums, yet we get people always asking for new ones.

Yes......feel my pain.

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 01:09 PM

I wasnt saying we needed a 'flippy floppy' forum, I just thought if we had one this would be a good idea.
Although I do agree that this is a fighting arts forum, yet others will have different views on this.
Also MattJ I think its good the way it is, so dont worry about it.
If we get enough people to apeal for one then you could take it into consideration.

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 05:42 PM

depends on what your definition is of fighting art...
every art can be used to fight with, just depends how good you are

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 07:13 PM

I wasn't trying to start a flame war I was only saying what some peoples views would be of it.
Tell you what Im not putting words into MattJ's mouth but if you get enough people to post asking for one in this thread then he may consider it.

Re: Capoeira - 06/06/06 11:02 PM

haha no I wasnt trying to start anything
yea I know that there isnt a huge interest in it
I guess we'll see what happens??

Re: Capoeira - 06/07/06 04:59 AM

Like I said if it was proven to be a popular choice then it would probably be added although at the moment not many people have requested it.
Good luck trying though
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Capoeira - 06/07/06 05:17 PM

They should have a dance based martial forum anyway. We could talk about Capoeira, Silat, Escrima (which I hae read was turned into a dance when the Conquistador outlawed it when they occupied the Philippines) Tae Kyon...

And also we could use it to discuss effective fighting strategys of modern dance. Like Kevin Bacon beating up the town hicks in Footloose. I thought it was pretty realistic use of dance for SD. And don't even start me on Westside Story...

And I my "Michael Flatley vs Jackie Chan, Who would win?" thread would finally have a home. Its too good to put anywhere else on this site. Also my "Survivors 'You're the best around' or Sammy Hagar's 'Winner takes it all', which is best to montage to?" thread needs a place to set up camp (ha ha, I made a funny!)

P.S. My first point was serious.

P.P.S My other points were super super serious
Posted by: Taison

Re: Capoeira - 06/08/06 03:40 AM

Denied.

-Taison out

Re: Capoeira - 06/08/06 08:40 PM

Quote by PW -

Quote:

And also we could use it to discuss effective fighting strategys of modern dance. Like Kevin Bacon beating up the town hicks in Footloose. I thought it was pretty realistic use of dance for SD. And don't even start me on Westside Story...

Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 02:17 AM

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 05:59 AM

haha the dancing thing is a funny idea
reminds me of a video game that Michael Jackson had a long time ago, haha

But I do like the concept of like MAs hidden in dance. Kali was very much similar to capoiera during Spanish occupation, with many wide sweaping movements and a stance similar to a jenga.

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 06:22 AM

I know its not relevant but seeing as we are talking about dancing:

Quote:

Martial arts and street fighting, however, were not Bruce Lee's only pass times as a teenager. When Bruce Lee was 14 years old he enrolled for dancing lessons and later went on to become the Cha Cha Champion of Hong Kong! This unlikely departure from Lee's violent world was perhaps as strong an indication as any, that deep down Lee truely yearned for a life that would be somehow involved in realm of artistic expression and entertainment.

Seeing as we talking about dancing

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 09:46 AM

haha nice one Tezza

maybe capoeira will go into the JKD forum?? hahaha...denied

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 10:26 AM

Sorry for the post I just wanted to prove that good things come from dancing and also to lighten the atmosphere.

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 04:29 PM

See this is what I am aiming for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVnRRh6XTE&search=moe%20funk

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 04:56 PM

Made my evening thanks for that. Now that is martial arts
Posted by: trevek

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 05:46 PM

Ever seen Cossack dancing? A lot of it is obviously based on martial techniques and strengthening the legs for riding.

There is one type of dancing where they square off and try to trip each other. Looks abit like a refined form of purring.

Re: Capoeira - 06/09/06 06:38 PM

hahaha that was halarious!

Re: Capoeira - 06/10/06 10:11 AM

In all seriousness, Capoeira looks like a brilliant art. I think the reason we don't talk about it more is because it isn't widely available as some other arts, and (most) people on here don't like to talk about things they haven't tried before.

Re: Capoeira - 06/11/06 01:45 AM

point well taken prize

Most of the things here are pretty main stream but cant exactly blame anyone because that completely depends on where people are located. Like alot of talks in the kungfu forum are about wing chun while in the Korean art forum is TKD...too bad theres not enough of the other arts to represent strongly

Re: Capoeira - 06/11/06 03:02 PM

I must agree with what you have to say. Therefore maybe if we did have one it may open light to new discussion and may make people more interested in it. Just a thought.

Re: Capoeira - 06/11/06 10:24 PM

aaah..we have shed new light in this "denied" topic
new forums could possibly help to educate
and you know how people feel about education