reputation points

Posted by: boxing_kid

reputation points - 11/17/05 02:53 PM

i think that there should be a reputation points type thing like they have on the bodybuilding.com forums, heres a link to there forums if you want to see what i mean, just click on one of the forums and you will see under peoples username that it shows there reputation points

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: reputation points - 11/17/05 04:43 PM

The problem with a rep system is that it's too easily abused. With a site like Ebay, there is a control, you can't give feedback unless you buy or sell something, and you can only give feedback one time per transaction. But here, a troll could flood someone with negative rep points just by hunting down posts. If there were an easy way for mods to easily rescind all neg reps done by one person, I would have no problem with the idea. But, if such a power is restricted to admin, and oldman had to delete every individual neg rep after a troll flooded someone, that would be a major problem. Oldman would spend most of his time correcting rep floods alone.

Re: reputation points - 11/17/05 05:15 PM

it's not that easily abused at all because if you choose to give somebody a negative rep it just doesn’t automatically take away from their rep you have to report it first, and you only report it if it’s really bad, look at the bottom of my post and that is what it says when you decided to try and give somebody a bad rep, basically you only give people rep points, (that's for the bodybuilding.com rep system)

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
Posted by: Belnick

Re: reputation points - 11/18/05 06:18 AM

Quote:

The problem with a rep system is that it's too easily abused. With a site like Ebay, there is a control, you can't give feedback unless you buy or sell something, and you can only give feedback one time per transaction. But here, a troll could flood someone with negative rep points just by hunting down posts. If there were an easy way for mods to easily rescind all neg reps done by one person, I would have no problem with the idea. But, if such a power is restricted to admin, and oldman had to delete every individual neg rep after a troll flooded someone, that would be a major problem. Oldman would spend most of his time correcting rep floods alone.

we had that in another forum

they put a flood control so could only click on one person each hour, bt it did not work

one guy did not like me( )so he went in every hour and gave me a neg pt and because of that I got dropped in that system, so I posted about it in the forum and then everyone clicked plus on me and then it worked wrong the other way
Posted by: Dereck

Re: reputation points - 11/18/05 05:31 PM

Every forum is going to be different and you just have to learn to work within it. After 24 posts boxing_kid I highly doubt that is ample time to make judgements about a site and how it should be run.

Re: reputation points - 11/22/05 05:17 PM

who are you to tell me whether i should be making suggestions or not? i am not demanding anything nor am i trying to tell administrator how to run his site, so what's your problem, this is the forum for suggestions isn't it? am i not allowed to make suggestions? why did you even bother to reply to my thread if your going to respond like that i mean really having a bad day or what, or are you trying to be a d1ck because i'm new
Posted by: MattJ

Re: reputation points - 11/22/05 06:46 PM

boxing_kid -

Please restrain yourself. Dereck made a valid point about different forums. Rep points are really a joke, since they can be abused so easily. Even Bullshido has all but stopped usung them, because so many people don't use them right.

I think Dereck was also trying to say that if you hang around here long enough, you will figure out who is full of BS and who isn't. You don't need rep points to tell you.

Also, personal attacks and name calling are a quick way to get banned here. Consider this a warning.

Re: reputation points - 11/22/05 07:01 PM

well if you don't want to use the idea then that's not that big of deal that wasn't my point, that can be up to you guys whether to use it or not but he didn't have to reply like that, and you giving me a warning, for what? personal attacks "having a bad day or what" wow that's a big personal attack, your taking his side clearly because he has been here longer, and i never called him a d1ck i said "are you trying to be a d1ck", he could of just said

"Every forum is going to be different and you just have to learn to work within it."

and i wouldn't care but he didn't have to say

"After 24 posts boxing_kid I highly doubt that is ample time to make judgements about a site and how it should be run."

Re: reputation points - 11/22/05 08:05 PM

boxing_kid -

You made your suggestion. You got some responses. You are using inappropriate language. Again. You need not be insulted if people do not fall all over themselves agreeing with you on every subject. Get used to it. Life is like that.

Restrain the language, and don't play semantics.

Re: reputation points - 11/22/05 09:28 PM

did i not say that i don't care whether he agrees with me, i thought i cleared that up, and i am not expecting anybody to agree with me at all you are clearly missing the point, it's him telling me i shouldn't be giving suggestions, i thought you would of got that the first time
Posted by: BrianS

Re: reputation points - 11/22/05 11:52 PM

boxing kid,

Are you reading the replies?

Where did Dereck say you shouldn't be giving suggestions? Are you always this easily offended? He said just stick around and find out whos reputable or not,nothing else.

Matt is being nice and I think you are taking advantage of that. He gave you a warning about personal attacks and language. I hope you don't need any further action.
Play nice and enjoy the forums.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: reputation points - 11/23/05 01:04 AM

boxing-kid, this was not meant as a personal attack, and maybe I should have explained it better. When entering somebody's house before you make any suggestions as how they should change things you should get to know them better. I was simply trying to say try things out for a time and you may find things are just right the way they are. If later when you have given it enough time and you still feel that way then feel free to make your suggestions. I felt that 24 posts was not sufficient amount of time to really give it a chance.

Did I have a bad day? No. Am I trying to be a d1ck to you because you are new? No. Who am I to tell you that you can't make a suggestions? I didn't say you can't make any suggestions I justed "suggested" that you hadn't been on here long enough to actually get to know the site ... and I'm a nobody just like you.

You are right, I shouldn't have answered your post but I am glad now that I did as I think that you have shown your true nature. You are a kid which is fine but you should be respectful when entering another's house and those that are in it. And respectfully ... if you took offense to my earlier post I apologize. I am old enough to do so.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: reputation points - 11/23/05 01:21 AM

There are some things i would like to clear up here. The first is there is no such thing as "MY thread". When you start a thread here it becomes public domain and can be viewed and replied to by all. Post all the disclaimers you want but anyone can participate. What everyone does have to do is follow the rules. I personally don't care if you get [censored] about a reply to one of your posts so long as your reply stays within the boundaries of the forum rules.

Secondly replacing a letter in a word with a number that resembles it in order to slip a curse word past the system also isn't allowed. It's still profanity and against the rules.

Lastly no one is taking Derek's side because he's been here longer, specifically. Although it does have some play in the matter. It's not so much his time here as it is his behavior while he has been here. There are a few members who have been here for quite a while but tend to be abrasive and argumentative. People don't get preferred treatment here based on how long they have been here or how many posts they have, but people who have shown themselves to be a valuable member based on their behavior and interaction with others will have my full support in certain issues.

No one here is "missing the point" but you. No one told you not to make suggestions. No one attacked you. People have simply made observations and suggestions of their own. I have another suggestion for you; if you find yourself upset at a response take a breath and step away from the keyboard for a bit. Then reply with a cooler head and stay within the rules. You may have gotten off on the wrong foot but it's nothing that can't be fixed. I've seen a few new people come in with an attitude but end up sticking around and being productive.

Re: reputation points - 11/23/05 11:15 AM

Quote by laff7773 -

Quote:

People don't get preferred treatment here based on how long they have been here or how many posts they have, but people who have shown themselves to be a valuable member based on their behavior and interaction with others will have my full support in certain issues

Quote:

if you find yourself upset at a response take a breath and step away from the keyboard for a bit. Then reply with a cooler head and stay within the rules. You may have gotten off on the wrong foot but it's nothing that can't be fixed. I've seen a few new people come in with an attitude but end up sticking around and being productive.

Really beautifully put, laf. That was exactly what I was trying to say.