Combining forums

Posted by: Foolsgold

Combining forums - 09/02/05 11:55 PM

We whine a lot about getting forums for different topics. Now we have what we asked for...a bunch of forums.

Would it be out of the question to combine a few of the more similar forums for convenience's sake? For instance, I imagine the same folks often visit the Nutrition and Strength forume. It would help members to navigate more easily (especially those with dial-up connections!) if there were fewer forums, after all.

I'm hoping to hear specifically from mods, because they probably have an idea of whether this is plausible or not. If not, please forgive the humble n00b.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Combining forums - 09/03/05 12:17 AM

YOU DARE QUESTION OUR LOGIC AND AUTHORITY??

BOW DOWN AND ASK FORGIVENESS YOU INSIGNIFICANT LITTLE PEON!!

Uhhh, yeah, it's been discussed and is currently under consideration. I personally would like to hear suggestions on this particular matter from members as well.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Combining forums - 09/03/05 02:27 AM

here's how I suggest to lay out the whole thing (renamed forums where appropriate)
- the indented forums would be the ones merged into the forum above it.

Martial Arts Talk
... Martial Arts Tales & Stories
... Asian Art & Culture
... Post Your Event

Korean arts & weapons
... Tae Kwon Do

Japanese Arts & weapons
... Aikido
... Judo / Ju Jitsu
... Daito Ryu
... Sword Arts

Okinawan Arts & weapons
... Kata & Application
... Washin School of Martial Arts

Chinese Arts & weapons
... Kung Fu
... Jeet kune Do

Mixed Martial Arts
... BJJ
... Krav Maga

Body Mechanics

Pressure Points

Self Defense/Street Combat
... Security & Law Enforcement

MA Teaching & Learning
... The Business Side of Martial Arts
... Practice Fighting/Competition

Conditioning
... Health & Nutrition
... Strengthening
... Stretching
... Breathing & Breath Control

Meditation/Zen

Energy Arts

Martial Arts Media
... Martial Arts Books
... Martial Arts Films
... Book Talk

Site Help/Suggestions
... Forum Help

that would bring it down to 15 forums as oppossed to the current 35.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Combining forums - 09/03/05 01:02 PM

Asian Art and Culture should not be under Talk. If anything, Meditation/Zen should be under AA&C.

My two pennies.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 06:27 AM

Kin, what happend to Karate?

I think perhaps karate should go under the Okinawian arts.

I also think that PP's and Kata application should be under the same banner. Alot of the talk in both forums usually relates to each other. Also, I think to be a bit more PC to the Chinese stylists it should be renamed Kata/Forms applications. I think that might encourage the discussion of some of the fanastic applications contained within the Kung Fu forms and such.

Gav
Posted by: SHAO KHAN

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 07:17 AM

You should give me my own forum and name it outworld for all your mortal kombat needs no seriously there is to many
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 09:24 AM

Kintama,

There is disagrement as to Krav being a MMA or not. I could see that being a sore subject of disagrement within the forum discussions.

Krav could also be under Street Fighting/Self Defense as it is a self defense system. Something to ponder.....

After lobbying to get a Krav forum, and working to get dialog going...it is a bit difficult to let it get pulled into another forum. It's not like there are 100 Krav forums out there.. I also asked to start the forum so we Krav folks could talk without the Krav bashing... I get enough of that in face to face life, without it here. I do however understand your logic.

Just my two cents...
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 10:53 AM

good points. (can't believe I forgot Karate lol)
This was just my suggestion... I didn't claim it was THE best arraingement...only the best I thought of at the time. just one vote of many.

anything controversial, I agree should have it's own.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 02:28 PM

Quote:

Japanese Arts & weapons
... Aikido
... Judo / Ju Jitsu
... Daito Ryu
... Sword Arts

If I might be picky...there are several stylists of western sword arts on here. It just wouldn't do to stick them in the Japanese section.
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 02:59 PM

Now I'm not entirely sure why we would want to get rid of these different subject forums, as it certainly helps all those interested in the like subject a chance to talk about it without much bashing from others of different arts (and if someone does they would most likely be picked on by the other members of that forum who all share the same art ).

However if it is for the sake of slower connection I suggest reorganization could help. As it stand right now all the links to the various forums are all housed on one page. What if we broke it up into categories like kintama suggested. So in other words on the forum homepage we could have:

Martial Arts Talk
Korean arts
Japanese Arts
Okinawan Arts
Chinese Arts
Mixed Martial Arts
Other Arts
Weapons
etc....

Once a user clicked on one of these links they would then be directed to sub categories (the seperate forums). So for example if one clicked on Japanese Arts they would be presented with:

Aikido
Judo / Ju Jitsu
Daito Ryu

Now this would make it much easier and faster for people with slower connections and would also help keep this site organized.

Also in regards to kintama's suggestion, I think all the weapon stuff should be placed under its own heading "Weapons" or something like that. I say this because many people who are interested in weapons typically are interested in weapons from many styles and not just one country or art. Sword arts could become a subcategory of "Weapons". And in regards to Krav Maga we could put that under other arts (and thus avoid any problems that could arise from placing it in the MMA section or others). Good idea though Kintama!

Anyhow thats my suggestion, use them if you find them worthy oh mighty mods...
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 03:41 PM

I think we should just leave it alone. The set up is as such because members griped and moaned they wanted separate sections for various arts. Now everyone wants to thin them out again. The "reconstruction" everyone is suggesting isn't going to effect those with slower connections enough to make that big of a difference. I access the site from work and because of all the people we have using the same computer and all of the restrictions we have on our system i think we have the slowest connection time in the world. The site still comes up just fine. It is slower than my cable set up at home but the difference is hardly noticeable.

Sword arts are just that, SWORD arts. There is a reason we have a separate weapons section. Each forum section serves its purpose. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Combining forums - 09/04/05 10:27 PM

If it was come down to a vote, I would vote to keep it the same. The only thing that ever bugs me is that Okinawan weapons are in with others, and I mentally connect it with karate. But I realize that it probably doesn't justify its' own forum.
Posted by: SHAO KHAN

Re: Combining forums - 09/06/05 03:48 PM

If it comes down to a vote ,vote for outworld and let me be moderator after all shao khan is the ruler of outworld. you know it makes scense put it under martial arts media other wise i will have to start rambling about in their.