Search function - horrible

Posted by: MattJ

Search function - horrible - 08/08/05 05:17 PM

How can we, in good concience, tell new folk here to search for related threads when the function only goes back one month?

????????????????

???????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is there some reason it is set this way? And why the flood control on it? Please set the search function to be able to go back all the way, and lose the flood control, please.

Can I get an AMEN from the congregation?!
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Search function - horrible - 08/08/05 05:50 PM

The search function does go farther back than one month. You can only search for a time span of one month, as in from July 1 - August 1. The search function works just fine, it's just a little vague on the instruction side. You can't search for something Newer than 3 months and older than 1 month because the date range is greater than 1 month. If you leave the "older than" window blank the system doesn't understand the date range. Leave both windows blank to just search for keywords/username with no date limit. If you click on the drop down button on the "newer than" window where it say days, weeks, months and years you will see a blank space above days. Click on that and clear the "1" out of the other window and the system will search as far back as needed to get 200 results. That is provided there are 200 results to be found. There are still quite a few posts and threads that were lost during the software change though.

Re: Search function - horrible - 08/08/05 05:57 PM

OMG. I think doing my taxes would be easier and less time consuming. Why don't they just default it to the earliest date? Or am I still misunderstanding?

*faints*
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Search function - horrible - 08/09/05 01:31 AM

To add to what Matt said, I have tried the search function and several times when I have doen more than two attempts with no results...it tells me in no uncertain terms to "try back later." Huh?

Re: Search function - horrible - 08/10/05 01:13 AM

I'm not sure why the date range defaults to 1 week but all you need to do is make sure both the newer than and older than areas are blank, type in what you are looking for or the username your looking for and click submit. You only need to use the date range section if you want to narrow down your search to a specific time frame.

For example if you are looking for a post about "kiblasts" that you know was posted around the February/March time frame you would type "kiblasts" in the keyword box and in the newer than box you would put 6 months and in the older than box you would put 5 months. The time frame is only one month. If you put newer than 6 months and older than 4 months it will spit out the specified date range is too wide phrase. I don't know why it's set up this way but the search function does work. I just think the default date range section is throwing a lot of people. For the majority of the new people though they don't need it, just do a blanket search of the entire forum for their topic.
Posted by: jaret345

Re: Search function - horrible - 08/12/05 01:21 AM

yeah i agree they gotta do something with that search option i hate how you have to wait a few mins between searches thats pretty annoying i don't even see why they do that i mean people aren't going to search that much.. i can agree with making the search option only for members but honeslty when i'm on here i only see about 50 people on and i check the forums quite a bit i know the record thing is 500 and something but still, if they made the search thing unlimited and theres only 0 people on i think it could most definately handle that
Posted by: Belnick

Re: Search function - horrible - 08/12/05 07:37 AM

guess they have to pay for extra bandwidth ???

weird ISP companies all over UK
all in sweden has no limit, unless u choose 100mbit connection, then you get a 300gb bandwidth limit, and every 100gb over cost 10 dollar :P
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/10/05 09:16 AM

Gotta agree, though it might cost more in bandwidth the search function here is absolutely HORRIBLE. It's far easier to search this site using google than it is to search the forums using the built in search feature. That's not a good thing.

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/10/05 12:48 PM

How is it so difficult? You type in what you are looking for into the key word window and make sure the date range is blank, it's not that hard. If you want to narrow it down you can select a specific forum section to search. This search function is actually better than many i've seen because it gives you the ability to narrow down your search even move by selecting a specific time frame the subject was posted.

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/15/05 08:37 AM

Quote:

Gotta agree, though it might cost more in bandwidth the search function here is absolutely HORRIBLE. It's far easier to search this site using google than it is to search the forums using the built in search feature. That's not a good thing.

hahah exellent, wors way better too
just wrote fightingarts and then space and what I wanted find, got 3 answers and the top one was the one
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/19/05 08:17 PM

Then stop whining, shut up, and use google.

Lane has explained it 3 times in this thread how to do a proper search, and I have done it many, many times with great success.

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/20/05 06:23 AM

Quote:

Then stop whining, shut up, and use google.

Lane has explained it 3 times in this thread how to do a proper search, and I have done it many, many times with great success.

lane?? who is lane?
I dont "hang" with the ppl IRL in these forums so I have no idea who u talking about

and who is whining

to say that something is horrible, which it is compared to ANY OTHER forum is whining ?
how many post in this thread ???
and you call that whining ?

you are just nagging about like an old crow

just close the thread or have a mod that can in this forum to close it cus you think it turned in to a whine thread

*sigh*

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/20/05 09:12 AM

laf773 = Lane. Read his signature, it's not that hard. Who else has explained how to use the search function 3 times in this thread? Did you actually read his posts or just the first one and decided to add your complaining in with it?

If someone explains something 3 times and you still complain about how it doesn't work, then yes, you are whining. It does work. No, it's not handed to you on a silver platter, deal with it.

Don't *sigh* at me. It's just a little too stupid on a forum.

*sticks tounge out*

See?

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/20/05 11:37 AM

After playing around with it, Laf7773 is right. Blank out the dates and use the blank space above the days/weeks, etc.

Works pretty good when you do that, although IMHO, THAT should be the default, as it is very confusing the way it is currently set.

Thanks for the explanation, Laf.
Posted by: harlan

Oldman: Search function time limit - 09/29/05 10:58 AM

Oldman: is there some way to deal with the time/flood control on searching? Say I want to do a search on 'Suparinpei'...it comes up with threads I already have...so I change the spelling...or start another search. I have to wait.

Is there some way to change this?

thanks

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/30/05 07:46 AM

Quote:

laf773 = Lane. Read his signature, it's not that hard. Who else has explained how to use the search function 3 times in this thread? Did you actually read his posts or just the first one and decided to add your complaining in with it?

If someone explains something 3 times and you still complain about how it doesn't work, then yes, you are whining. It does work. No, it's not handed to you on a silver platter, deal with it.

Don't *sigh* at me. It's just a little too stupid on a forum.

*sticks tounge out*

See?

I dont talk l33t or how it is spelled, I just hate it and will ignore it where ever I see it, so he have always been laf to me and nothing else

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/30/05 09:03 AM

What the hell are you talking about? What in my post was l33t? I hate that crap as much as you. All you have to do is read his post, it says Lane at the end of it.

I guess you're just a little too dense to figure that out.

See, right beloew this, it says Joel, that's called a signature. Like in yours where you're complaining about your flood control...
Posted by: dmsdc

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/30/05 11:50 AM

So that clears up the date question - but it doesn't clear up the only one search every five minutes question.

I'd love to browse the archives on several topcs but if I make one little typo I've got to leave and come back later. That's just a joy-killer.

Is this something that can be modified or no?

Re: Search function - horrible - 09/30/05 12:04 PM

Hmmmm, I don't have flood control on my searches...maybe because I'm a mod? I thought there was before, but I thought it was fixed.

If not I agree that there shouldn't be a flood on searches, hopefully we can get that fixed/loosened.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Search function - horrible - 02/11/06 04:40 PM

<< For the majority of the new people though they don't need it, just do a blanket search of the entire forum for their topic. >>
And this is done HOW?

Re: Search function - horrible - 02/11/06 06:31 PM

Leave both windows blank to just search for keywords/username with no date limit. If you click on the drop down button on the "newer than" window where it say days, weeks, months and years you will see a blank space above days. Click on that and clear the "1" out of the other window and the system will search as far back as needed to get 200 results.
Posted by: gregc618

Re: Search function - horrible - 03/31/06 10:30 AM

Quote:

Can I get an AMEN from the congregation?!

AMEN BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Re: Search function - horrible - 03/31/06 10:38 AM

Actually if you read the rest of the thread, you'll find out that it is quite simple to do a search in the forums.
Posted by: gregc618

Re: Search function - horrible - 04/02/06 09:31 AM

UpDate!!!!

Ok I think I see where the problem is. at the bottom of the forum listing there is a "Search forum" box. At the Main page there is also search function listed at the top of the page. Neither of these appear to be actually tied to one another. I just ran a search using the one at the top of the main page and it did what I told it to do. However trying the same with the one at the bottom of each forum page seems to still be a little quirky. Who knows why they seem to have split the search functions like that. And I tried that second one again and it still only allow you one search every-so-often. I dont know what that is all about!

So maybeeeeee the real problem is that people are using the second search function and none of you all know they aren't the same?

----------------------------------

I'm going to have to agree. I just ran a search, and got this on the second time I went to use it (mind you this was with me and one other user setting on the server, so its not like the server was busy) :

"You cannot make another search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes."

Then I ran a search using my nickname here, and it showed me two (2) post. One by you Matt and one that Cord had written. Not a single one post that I have written was included. So the search module doesn't take usernames into account if you decided to look for a post by a speciafic person I have to assume behind what was just diaplayed
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Search function - horrible - 04/14/06 02:25 PM

In relation to the timeout issue for searching,

If you click on a users name in a thread, which brings up their profile, and you click on the "show all users posts" it quite nicely brings up that list. Click any item to view a post, then click the back button to go back to the list to check out the next item and voila timeout, come back later. Grumble. I would very much appreciate it if the timeout was removed from this feature. Thanks.

Laura

Re: Search function - horrible - 04/14/06 02:43 PM

Until this is remedied, there is a way around it. When you have a list of posts up, (if using internet explorer) right-click on a post and select "Open in a new window" or hold down the SHIFT key and click on it. This will open it in another window and leave the search as is.