Boxer or Martial Arts?

Posted by: Anonymous

Boxer or Martial Arts? - 03/19/05 12:51 PM

I am trying to become a cop, and I was wondering if I should start taking boxing lessons or should I take Martial Arts, the reason I would like to take either lessons is to learn how to properly defend myself and keep in shape but I also want to have fun doing it. but it's a matter of wondering what is better for me, I am a big guy but I have defenition (I'm not saggin off the bones and I'm not lazy) so let me know what ya'll think is better

Re: Boxer or Martial Arts? - 03/20/05 12:27 AM

Salutations!

Don't worry too much about that. If you join a reputable LE Dpt, they'll take care of that at the academy. Please do keep in shape by doing either or. Many techniques of both you might see at your training. But really, LE agencies have their own standards of what you can use while on duty so be mindful. Just train to be proficient on body mechanics and coordination. That and endurance will help you a lot.

Yours in Kenpo,

C. Roman

Re: Boxer or Martial Arts? - 03/20/05 01:29 AM

Box or practice some MA that includes regular sparring or resistance training. Do not buy into the pressure point stuff unless you have years and years to spend in becoming proficient.

The police academy will give you the bare minimum of training. It will be up to you to maintain though, as most agencies do not have ongoing DT training other than required certifications for firearms, pepper spray and baton or taser.