Training

Posted by: Anonymous

Training - 01/30/05 06:06 PM

Carrying concealed 24/7 is a royal pain and not an undertaking to be taken lightly by anyone. Having some experince shooting at paper targets doesn't really qualify anyone, civilian or LEO very well.

I would strongly encourage anyone who is considering carrying a pistol regularly for self defense, or any other purpose to get profession training from qualified instructors. The you can begin to learn what you need to know. Notice I said begin to learn. Most states that have training requirements are truely inadaquate. The have one day of classroom designed to teach you the legal ramifications, which is good, and the next day they basicly see if you can draw, fire a few rounds, reload, and reholster without shooting yourself in the foot.

I shoot about 4,500 rounds a year these days out of my compitition pistol. This is far more that most LEO and civilians but not as much as some professional competitors. And I still feel that I require regular review under a professional. Unfortunatly it's diffucult to get where I live. But I do what I can.

Truthfully I live in place with a very low crime rate and even here I practice avoidance and awareness. The likelyhood that I will ever need it is pretty slim. Yet I am a serious student of self defense and I take full responsibility for my own safety and that of my family. In today's world, even in a quiet and safe place like this, I usually carry. I mean the roads are good in town but I don't leave the house without a spare tire either.

The responsibility is enourmous and not one to be taken lightly. I would not encourage you to take it on unless you have the disipline, the maturity, and the training. But if really need have to carry, it should feel like an anvil around you neck, not like a badge that makes you joe cool.

Re: Training - 01/31/05 06:45 AM

good post. I used to be in the military and then in security, and was always armed. my training was very thorough, and ongoing. now, even though I might want to have a firearm for home protection, I do not feel that I can invest the time needed to be prepared, responsibly, to keep up the level needed with firearms. so I don't keep one.

firearms are not toys, I also dont' think that they should be hobbies. they are tools used to kill, and should be treated as such. if you don't have a good reason to have firearms, and/or you can't invest time and energy in training, you shouldn't.

Re: Training - 01/31/05 09:08 AM

True, they are not toys, but they are certainly the hobbie of millions of Americans. On any given weekend there are more people in this country shooting shotguns at clay birds than there are playing tennis.

I don't have any problem with that so long as they have been properly trainned. Everyone has to start someplace and there is no replacement for range time. But carrying falls into a different catagory. It's like the difference between some guy that likes to ride his crotch rocket on weekends verses the guy that is a professional racer.

You can get killed either way, or kill someone else but the level of skill and competence are miles and miles apart.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: Training - 03/08/05 12:55 AM

Well as long as one keeps lasering in mind at all times. Which means the mussel of the gun never points at anything your willing to destroy. Including yourself as you draw the weapon. You should be alright. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: Training - 03/09/05 08:43 AM

twogun,
i somewhat disagree with ur original post. in it u state to the effect that u shoot 4500 rounds a year for comepetition and then u go on to state how this is so much more then leo's shoot.

i have to take exception to this as u seem to be putting down leo's that do not shoot that many rounds a year. most leo's do not shoot that much simply because of money/time constraints. my PD issues every leo 40 rounds a month, plus we qualify 4 times a year. i am swat certified and other things that i will not bring into this conversation. i DO NOT shoot 4500 rounds a year, BUT, i feel i am competent enough to handle whatever arises in a professional, effective, and lawful way.

do YOU have any law enforcement experience or military experience? have u ever seen combat? have u ever actually had the unfortunate experience of having to use ur pistol as a weapon to wound someone? are u aware that most gunfights encountered by leos are within 20 feet?

or are u simply beating ur chest stating ur opinions?
Kel