BB guns article

Posted by: Anonymous

BB guns article - 12/06/04 05:04 PM

Mass. Police See Surge in Use of BB, Pellet Guns in Hold-Ups
11/26/2004

By Jill Casey, The Daily Item of Lynn (Massachussets)

BB guns and replica firearms have begun to look so much like the more dangerous weapons on the market, that police are seeing an increase attempts to pass them off as deadly weapons in hold-up situations and on the street.

Over the past year, police have seen these weapons used during a domestic confrontation and in gang fights.

These guns look so real, they even run the risk of deceiving a police officer in certain situations, according to Lynn Police Lt. John Scannell.

This weapons trend has been a key factor contributing to a recent rise in crimes in the community over the past year, according to Scannell. Police have made several arrests for crimes involving individuals using these guns in public. The department has also confiscated 28 of them this year alone, ranging from BB guns to pellet pistols made to resemble real semi-automatics.

"They're using them like real guns, to hold up stores and threaten other people," said Scannell. "We don't want the general public out there being scared by these guns and we don't want kids getting in trouble for having them."

There have also been several cases over the past year where police have arrested juveniles for bringing BB guns to school in their backpacks. In most of the cases where an arrest was made, the individual was showing off the gun and word got back to a teacher or administrator about it.

"I think (kids) feel a certain prestige, like 'Hey I got a gun,'" said Scannell, who believes the likely reason why kids want to bring guns to school is because of their intrinsic desire to play "war games in the streets."

The threats these guns pose is also debatable, Scannell said. "As we saw in Boston, they can be fatal," he said, referring to the accidental shooting death by Boston Police of Red Sox fan Victoria Snelgrove.

Police have had one case this year, where a Lynn English High School fired a BB gun at a fellow student on school grounds. The student was not seriously injured, but the 16-year-old assailant was arrested and charged with carrying a dangerous weapon in school.

Scannell said police are in no way looking for manufacturers to take these replica weapons off the market. Police believe that half the problem can be solved inside the home, with better supervision by parents with their children.

Scannell also said BB gun owners should be more aware of the laws that surround the use of them in public.

Under state law, no person is permitted to fire a BB shot, pellet, or paint ball in public. The law also allows authorities to fine anyone under 18, who is caught using these types of guns without adult supervision or a hunting license. Fines run anywhere from $50 to $100.

"They're not supposed to be firing these guns in public," said Scannell. "Children just need to be better supervised."

Re: BB guns article - 12/06/04 09:27 PM

That is for sure Fletch. Before I snapped my left leg again I was in Wal-Mart looking around and saw some of the BB / Pellet guns they had and they looked just like the real thing and I saw no red on the front. These toy weapons look so real that people do like you said and will use them to hold-up places.

It is really sad to see some dumb gangbanger using it to threaten other gangs. Plus when someone does hold up a place and the police show up and it is night and they can’t tell that it is a toy, well you know.

OCman …… www.FrankMir.com
Posted by: kman

Re: BB guns article - 12/20/04 08:01 AM

This is an OLD story. The BB and toy gun/water pistol thing has been around since I was a kid, and I'm as old as dirt compared to most of the people who post here. A guy in my high school got himself wasted by the police while pointing a water pistol at a cop. And that was about 1971 or 72. Look at the upside,,it's kinda like natural selection in action.
What might be more relavant is that Massachussets has all but outlawed hand guns, and not only do they still have hand gun crimes,,but they have fake handgun crimes. The criminals are'nt going to go away or stop doing what they do because of some law. K-
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: BB guns article - 01/01/05 12:25 PM

As we discovered in the UK....

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: loki

Re: BB guns article - 01/08/05 09:15 PM

The pellet gun saga continues,as some Canadian cities have banned them. In Ottawa Canadian tire & all other stores only sell the ammo.
Teens were bringing the guns to school,and doing drive by shootings with these weapons. In Canada one caught commiting a crime with such a weapon will be processed as using a firearm.

495 Feet per second

Anything over this in Canada is considered a firearm,and a FAC is required. Some pettlet guns have the same velocity as a .22, in Canada those most be purchased with an FAC.

Kobun

Re: BB guns article - 03/22/05 01:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ocman:
That is for sure Fletch. Before I snapped my left leg again I was in Wal-Mart looking around and saw some of the BB / Pellet guns they had and they looked just like the real thing and I saw no red on the front. These toy weapons look so real that people do like you said and will use them to hold-up places.

It is really sad to see some dumb gangbanger using it to threaten other gangs. Plus when someone does hold up a place and the police show up and it is night and they can’t tell that it is a toy, well you know.

OCman …… www.FrankMir.com
[/QUOTE]

At night..LOL I have several of these airsoft guns and you cant possibly tell the difference during the day from 3 feet. They have all the exact features of the real firearm they are a replica of. They can be feild stripped, have working safeties and a bloback action. Japanese models even have true to life logos. The only visable difference is the small brass filling hole on the bottom of the magazine which can easily be covered or not noticed. These laws make perfect sense IMO. What doesnt make sense is NYCs laws prohibiting transporting a paintball marker. Dumb ass, senseless laws.