Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force?

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 11/06/04 09:34 PM

As far as a martial art, it's probably as good as most others.

For arrest and control tactics, I would have to say it will offer a very limited benefit to you on the job. Just my opinion.

As I have said before, there are few if any Martial Arts that comprehensively address Law Enforcement needs. Not Aikido, not Traditional JJ, not BJJ, not Kali, etc.

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 12/06/04 05:01 PM

Hey there, Fletch1, me again! Things being the way they are, I'd say that its high time someone created a system specificaly designed for police officers! I know that there is already good mandatory training, as you yourself said in your reply to my thread. Is'nt it still possible though, to take this training even further? If one could synthasize a whole system and use it's practicality to really sell it, would this not appeal to those who are serious about their safety? Seems to me that the women & men serving their communities are worth the effort! To say nothing of those citizens who will benefit from what is sure to be increased effectiveness in the public safety aspect of their communities. Am I being unrealistic here, or does this notion of mine have the potential to be truely practical? Thanks for your time.

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 12/06/04 05:28 PM

There are many programs available but there are differences in opinion as to how practical some are inside the Police environment. Cops have so many demands placed upon them already with Use of Force training, Cultural Diversity training, Bloodborne Pathogen training, HazMat training, First Responder training and Legal updates, just to name a few. It is difficult to manage time for additional (on-duty) hands on tactics training. If the officers are motivated, they will seek it out on their own time. If not, they are content to work with what they are given.

I have experience in several programs outside of the State curriculum so I always try to keep classes interesting, practical and challenging.

My personal favorite is the ISR Matrix, but I have worked with Blauer's SPEAR system, Royce's GRACIE program and several others. They all have something to offer.

Still even with all we offer, it is like pulling teeth trying to get people to sign up for non-mandatory classes.

Check out:
www.isrmatrix.org
www.tonyblauer.com

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 12/06/04 05:34 PM

Fletcf1 I like your style. Just from the clip in the other thread. Good stuff and right down to the point.

OCman... www.frankmir.com

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 12/07/04 10:54 PM

Alright check this out guys... i dont know if you guys know... but FACT shows that KRAV MAGA (israeli MA's) is the best Military/Law Enforcement martial art in the world... it is known that in 90% of EUROPEAN countries and the United STATES and CANADA use KRAV MAGA in LAW ENFORCEment and military tacticts... HARD TO BELIEVE for most of thoes jew haters i know.. but check this out if your interested because i take it and its serious REAL LIVE **** !
http://www.krav-maga.com/law_enforcement.html

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 12/08/04 09:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Krav Maga / Taekwondo'Er:
Alright check this out guys... i dont know if you guys know... but FACT shows that KRAV MAGA (israeli MA's) is the best Military/Law Enforcement martial art in the world... it is known that in 90% of EUROPEAN countries and the United STATES and CANADA use KRAV MAGA in LAW ENFORCEment and military tacticts... HARD TO BELIEVE for most of thoes jew haters i know.. but check this out if your interested because i take it and its serious REAL LIVE **** !
http://www.krav-maga.com/law_enforcement.html
[/QUOTE]

Oh no you didn't...

Your "FACT" is a marketing slogan, period.

"it is known that in 90% of EUROPEAN countries and the United STATES and CANADA use KRAV MAGA in LAW ENFORCEment"

Also a propaganda myth. If youare trying to sell KM, this post is the wrong approach.

"HARD TO BELIEVE for most of thoes jew haters i know.. but check this out if your interested because i take it and its serious REAL LIVE **** !"

WTF was that for? If we don't agree that KM is the best, we are antisemitic? Total crap. Post something intelligent and save this BS for the chat rooms.

I have experience in Survival Hisardut. This program is a clone of both Krav Maga and Hagannah. The amount of training I had would qualify me as a franchised "Instructor" in KM or Hagannah. They are decent programs at the source but tend to suffer from lack of quality control thru their marketing plans.

Don't believe the hype. There are other programs out there that Law Enforcement uses and prefers to KM.

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 01/16/05 10:53 PM

Krava Maga is a good martial art to look at for sheer simplicity and effectiveness. Gracie Jiu Jitsu is arguably the only martial art that takes consideration of a police officer's needs, and the most effective at utilizing them. Systema out of Russia is hands down the best at adaptibility and flexibility, but finding instructors who truly know what they're doing is difficult...

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 01/17/05 06:20 PM

If you want to cover all bases, check into I.S.R. Matrix and Tony Blauer's stuff.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 03/08/05 01:34 AM

Tony Blauer's stuff is taught extensivly at the JKD school I train in. Many officers train there as well. Though it is one of the few schools that train properly for the street. We are trained to use the techniques under stress/pressure.

Another issue. In my work place we're not allowed to hit people for liability reasons. I can just restrain them and cuff them. So standup grappeling is great for this type of work. Which the school teaches alot of as well.

The fact is that a school that teaches pratical techniques that can be applied in real situations. Is a very rare thing indeed, at least when it comes to non striking techniques.
Posted by: Spanky-77

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 03/15/05 12:31 AM

I love it when people post what they think are the "best" martial arts for police officers to use when they aren't in law enforcement. Until you have been in a struggle or fight with a suspect or even worked in the field you will know that the best system is your training because you will instinctively resort to it, All the other is secondary.

[This message has been edited by Spanky-77 (edited 03-15-2005).]

Re: Re: Any Suggestions on becoming a cop or being in the force? - 04/02/05 08:47 AM

to all posters of this thread:

whether its against POLICY or not, the most potent use of a ma technique with a suspect is the CHOKE HOLD. it has never failed me or any officer i know and i have over 10 years exp as a LEO. politically correct systems/techniques that come and go (just like fashion trends) ALWAYS drop to the wayside sooner or later, BUT, the CHOKE HOLD is ALWAYS there and effective. i cannot count how many times as a patrol officer i have INTELLIGENTLY applied this technique to larger and stronger opponents and it has ALWAYS submitted them. once i have applied this technique, it has NEVER been defeated (i cannot say that about ANY other technique).

the CHOKE HOLD is not sexy, it is not glorious or mysterious, it is not a product of a foreign culture, it is simple to apply and if applied long enough it is LETHAL.

as mentioned above, it is not politically correct, BUT it will save an officers life.

because of its lethality it is not for untrained people to apply...but it works every time; simple and brutal.

when/if my life is threatened, i will take the paperwork for the use of an unapproved technique rather then suffer severe injury or death.

Kel

[This message has been edited by hunterkell (edited 04-02-2005).]

[This message has been edited by hunterkell (edited 04-02-2005).]