Police Training,Training Police

Posted by: Anonymous

Police Training,Training Police - 08/21/04 08:05 PM

I am thinking of becomming a cop that trains cops. What forms of training do cops get in the academy and what kinds of continuing education do they get as far as martial technique? Do the men that train the police do it full time or part time. I am talking about the ones that are or were once cops. What door ways should I consider pasing through to get going in the right direction. What training background do I need to have to train these men. What martial techniques are needed to enforce the law. Any info would help. Thanks

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/06/04 04:33 PM

Keep in mind that teaching Law Enforcement involves a significant amount of trust. If you are not already on the job, then you will have to pay your dues before you will be accepted as an instructor, regardless of your MA qualifications.

Training positions vary from agency to agency. Some have a full time training cadre and some don't. I have the lead position for mine but it is in addition to my regular position.

Get in the door first. Learn the job. Meet the trainers and show enthusiasm but be careful about showing off or pimping yourself too hard. Learn by being a team player. I have had many people come in and try to flex their Martial Arts backgrounds in an effort to get into a trainer position without even learning the rest of the job. It's annoying and an insult to the guys who have paid their dues and earned their positions.

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/07/04 04:47 PM

Hey Fletch1, is a training position really sought after a lot on Law Enforcement? I'm just curious.

While I enjoy conducting training and learn something almost every time I do a class, I'm not sure that I'd want to do it full time unless there were some significant perks and finical incentives. My impression was that most police departments don't really do much of that for trainers. But I'm on the outside looking in.
Posted by: loki

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/09/04 08:10 PM

I must agree with Fletch 1. As I am a civilian,I DO NOT know the insides of a police officers life. I would never pretend to even understand the comittment they have made.

Yet,police officer come to me for private classes. I teach them how to fight-end of story. I teach them what I know of the street, and of the weapons out there,ect...

Kobun

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/11/04 12:08 PM

Yet,police officer come to me for private classes. I teach them how to fight-end of story. I teach them what I know of the street, and of the weapons out there,ect...

Absolutely. Many police officers seek out qualified MA training outside of their jobs (me too). But since it is them on the job, it is their obligation to ensure what they are learning is appropriate for use on the job (policies, litigation, etc.).

Hey Fletch1, is a training position really sought after a lot on Law Enforcement? I'm just curious.
While I enjoy conducting training and learn something almost every time I do a class, I'm not sure that I'd want to do it full time unless there were some significant perks and finical incentives. My impression was that most police departments don't really do much of that for trainers. But I'm on the outside looking in.

Not much of a financial incentive except the opportunity to work more hours and deal with more headaches. Money and fame can't be the goal. Do it because you love it and because you want to help people. Those are the reasons I got into the job anyway.
Posted by: loki

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/11/04 08:57 PM

Law's &Lawsuits:

When I train police officers,I use two scenerios. The first one is a technique used to engage a controled application of restraint.

The second,is used for fighting a raged 300 lbs biker. As most of my police clients are females,I don't hold back on the "equalizers".

Many of the officiers do not have time to study the new weapons of choice.
Example: Prior to a block training session,I informed one of my clients about the Karambit. Its arrival on the street,how it acts like a Tiger claw...

The officer was shocked to see this weapon. Never new it existed.

As I have a vast collection of weapons,I bring illegal weapons to my training sessions. The police think this is great as most have never really understood the dangers of each weapon. The usually confescate,and forget about it...

I show them how they are used,as long as they don't take mine away.

Kobun

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/12/04 09:23 AM

Loki,

Sounds like you are providing a valuable service. Keep it up.

[This message has been edited by Fletch1 (edited 09-12-2004).]

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/21/04 10:06 PM

Hay I'm new to chat rooms, so bear with me. A little background on myself, I have 16 years law enforcement experience and 3 years as a Military Policeman. As a police officer, I was our department's defensive tactics instructor for nine years. I studied Taekwondo for 7 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then went a different direction and got involved in Combat Hapkido. I havn't studied it very long (16 months or so) but based on my personal experiences as a LE officer, Combat Hapkido is much more effective and applicable to what LE officers are asked to do. I'm not slamming Taekwondo, I learned a great deal and would probably instictively fall back on some of it in a stressful situation.

Its been my observations that LE officers are lazy and will not put the time in required to study martial arts. There are some exceptions. Officers do get arrest control/defensive tactics classes in the academy. After that it, it is up to the department to provide adequete training to their officers. Staffing and budgets are a huge concern. I'm an officer in Colorado. For the most part, departments are going with PPCT. Pressure Point Control Tactics as a defensive system. It was devolped by Bruce Siddle and includes: some blocking, two joint locks, a few kicks and punches, pressure points, intermediate weapons and handcuffing. For the new student, the course is 32 hours to get certified. After receiving their certification, officers are required to have 16 hours training in PPCT to maintain their certification. It's a good system, but it has its short comings. Myself and another office are studying Combat Hapkido and encourage other officers to get involved. No luck there. Officers rely too much on tools ie. handgun, taser, asp, or oc spray. these tools are not always approapriate nor do the situation allow you to deploy those tools. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully no one gets seriously hurt. I just thought I would shed some light on training in the LE world. Comments welcome.

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 09/22/04 10:58 PM

I agree, many cops are lazy when it comes to training but then traditional MA training hardly addresses their tactical needs in a realistic or appropriate way. PPCT appeals to and is marketed to administrators. Same with programs like Controlled Force and CDT.

There are few if any MA I would recommend to LEOs as a comprehensive system for Control and Defense. I know many who have studied everything from Aikido, Karate, Kung Fu, Kali, Hapkido and Jiu Jitsu who all swear that their styles are perfect for Law Enforcement. Anthing that takes that long to become proficient at is nowhere near appropriate for the average cop.

Interesting to note that although several of the officers I instruct in DT train in a Martial Art, they are usually the hardest to teach because of their adherence to their "style".

Re: Police Training,Training Police - 10/26/04 01:34 AM

As a former Police Officer and now a bodyguard with five years of BJJ and Muay Thai under my belt along with wrestling, when I have free time I get to train a lot of people that I have met that want to learn basic street self-defense. Two years ago I was able to go to San Diego and study with Combative Concepts. I was there for three weeks and the amount of stuff you learn in that three weeks is outstanding. Former Seals Dave Maynard and Ken Good cover everything from Hand to Hand, CQB, Sniper skills, Knife fighting and the list goes on. James William’s is the Hand to Hand guy and their edged weapons instructor. Point being here is that 98% of the personal that where there were all cops, sent by there departments to come and learn the realistic side of what they will be facing out in the streets. Combative Concepts and some other places that I have went to seem to be moving to the norm of police trainers. Just my opinion.