Thank you.

Posted by: Jamoni

Thank you. - 03/25/04 10:12 PM

As I sit here, I can hear gunshots, and the sounds of police cruisers racing TOWARDS them. We take it for granted that police officers will do this, without ever wondering how or why. And often without appreciating it. I know I have complained about the sorry state of my city/neighborhood, but that is not the failure of the police, it's the failure of each and every member of society that doesn't help out. So, to whoever just raced past my home to save us from ourselves, thank you and good luck.
Posted by: Spanky-77

Re: Thank you. - 03/25/04 11:36 PM

I am a police officer in Kansas City, MO and I respond to these types of calls everyday. I'm not here to toot my horn but my perspective is I want to help the victim in any way possible and treat them the way I would want a police officer to treat me. I just hope that no one was seriously hurt during the shots fired call.
I will have to say that when you have bullets flying in your direction it makes you appreciate and look at life in a new prespective. Life is truly a fragile thing and something as small as a pencil eraser can kill you when traveling at a high velocity. It is nice to hear from people who appreciate and understand what we do everyday. Most of the time we are put down and demonized by many. So I should say, "No...thank you for understanding the danger in our job."
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Thank you. - 03/26/04 12:33 PM

I trained as an emt, saw what they go thru everyday.The stress and emotional battering they endure,yet they keep on going. The most amazing thing, our ems program is volunteer-majority are unpaid-donate their time.

I work a job with a lot of contact with police officers. I witness the way officers are treated by the public and some of the difficulties of their jobs. I get to know a few as actual people,not just as a uniform and a badge.

Every time I hear a siren, police or ambulance, I say a little prayer for them.

God keep you safe and well.
Someone does appreciate what you do.

[This message has been edited by nekogami13 (edited 03-26-2004).]
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: Thank you. - 03/26/04 04:58 PM

Interesting that someone would post this as a topic. I am a CJ major at Temple University and plan to become a member of law enforcement (federal or local). I decided on this because I think they are selfless and I would really like to do something where I interact with people and try to help them...even if it is not always viewed that way. I have enormous respect for people in the field. I actually have a class where we have to conduct a survey and do research on our topic...any topic...CJ or non-CJ related. My topic is people's views of their local police...I'll let you guys know what the general consensus is...my independent variables are social class and type of community (eg: urban, suburban, rural living). Also, from me, thank you to all the CJ professionals as well as firefighters and emt's...paid or volunteer.

Re: Thank you. - 03/27/04 01:50 PM

I'd like to echo the sentiments already expressed hear.

In the UK, police officers do a thankless job, hindered not only by public stupidity but also by government restrictions and red tape.

I am glad I don't have to do it, and even more glad that they do.
Sharon
Posted by: Celtic Dirk

Re: Thank you. - 05/26/04 11:33 PM

If you police in the UK you,Sir, have my upmost respect., If they take my sidearm from me they can take the damn badge!!!!

Re: Thank you. - 06/21/04 05:58 PM

Several years ago I had a civilian riding along with me. She was chatting away and I was half listening to her and trying to listen to my radio when a call came out about someone shooting a gun.

She knew something was up because I gunned the engine and we took off in a hurry. I explained to her that we were going to check out a call involving someone shooting a gun. She just looked at me with a blank stare and asked incredulously, "why would we want to go over there if they are shooting?". I about pee'd my pants.

To her it just did not make sense.