Anger and use of Force

Posted by: Doughnut

Anger and use of Force - 03/06/04 05:58 PM

From time to time we get angry, and from time to time we have to get up close and personal. When both happen what do you do to stay rightious? Have any of you lost control? How can you practice to avoid steping over the line?

I really would apreciate your thoughts

Doughnut
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Anger and use of Force - 03/06/04 06:47 PM

I imagined living in a cardboard box under a freeway overpass after I lost my job, the civil lawsuit, etc.

Regular hard, physical sparring-working the heavy bag, etc. all help minimize anger for me,but then again I have always been think first act later kind.

Re: Anger and use of Force - 03/06/04 07:09 PM

LOL,
Well that is a motivator isent it?

[This message has been edited by Doughnut (edited 03-06-2004).]

Re: Anger and use of Force - 03/06/04 07:15 PM

SO,what
You are saying that regular hard training is a good method.
Let me play devil's advocate and ask HOW that can capture or prepare you the emotion of being seriously peeved and having to lay hands?

[This message has been edited by Doughnut (edited 03-06-2004).]
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Anger and use of Force - 03/06/04 08:55 PM

I think what neko is saying is that most of the time when you are angry "at someone" you are really angry due to built up stress and frustration, which you are just sublimating to a target of opportunity (the punk who just mouthed off to you). So by working off that built up aggression in a healthy manner (beating the stuffing out of willing subjects and inanimate objects) you are less likely to lose your cool over a relatively small matter.
And I agree.

Re: Anger and use of Force - 08/21/04 01:00 AM

There is a concept known as controlled rage. If you are in a position where you are defending your life, you can learn to invoke rage in yourself and use it to get you through the situation.

If you are an angry person, or feel angry, you need to seek counseling and an outlet. I've been there, it's easy to come back from.

If in the moment you take it too far, hope that the damage isn't too severe - you won't know until it happens, you can't predict these things. **** happen and just about everyone that is anyone has stepped over the line...if you haven't, then you're probably not doing your job. The problem, exists, however, when you step over the line all the time or don't learn from your mistakes.

Believe it or not people and courts are amazingly tolerant, and a smart cop will come out on top, but hot heads have no place in law enforcement.

Re: Anger and use of Force - 08/25/04 12:39 PM

Personally, I've never had it ("angry" in the way I think you're suggesting) happen and credit that, in large part, to MA training. I could go on and on but wont. At this point I honestly couldn't imagine it happening either. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

- KiDoHae

[This message has been edited by KiDoHae (edited 08-25-2004).]

Re: Anger and use of Force - 10/21/04 04:37 AM

I think if your training is correct you actually become more calm when you put hands on focusing on what has to be done to gain control instead of any negative emotions you may have had .

Re: Anger and use of Force - 10/24/04 09:59 PM

Take your vitamins.

[This message has been edited by DonaldJ (edited 11-03-2004).]

Re: Anger and use of Force - 10/25/04 04:17 PM

Doughnut, if you lose your control, you've lost completely. A martial artist should have a strong spirit.

Develop a clear understanding of when you can use your techniques. Our students clearly understand they may use their techniques only to DEFEND our country, their families and themselves. Without this understanding, you have ambiguity and indecision; which could cost you your life.

Re: Anger and use of Force - 10/26/04 01:01 AM

As a former law enforcement officer and now a bodyguard I can say with experience that “Verbal Judo” the book or a class that is held by the author George Thompson is probably one of the best classes I have ever taken. Verbal Judo is the art of “Gentle Persuasion”. It makes you like a brick wall when someone is cursing rapid fire into your face and it enables you to redirect his strong language and use it against him in a way that is nice and get the person to comply with you. To see it done first hand is amazing and to learn how to do it is even better.

Re: Anger and use of Force - 10/26/04 01:14 AM

Losing control of your anger is human we all do it. 90% of the time we regret it. But sometimes force is called for. Almost half the time you lose control of yourself and become violent, later you will regret it. But there is the exception of self-defense. If you’re confronted with an individual that is violent and wants to fight, and actually does attempt to strike you, you have to roll the dice and fight. Laws from state to state vary, but in Nevada where I live if someone is within range of striking. You or if the person is even fifteen feet away from you and making a case that he wants to do harm to you. That right there is battery and if you engage the person 9 out of 10 times if the police come and no serious harm was inflected and EMS doesn’t need to be called out you will be on your way.