What arts do you guys use in law/military?

Posted by: Anonymous

What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 01/25/04 11:37 AM

Is there a preference of the so called "modern arts" over the "traditional arts"?

Maybe you can list the arts you study or recommend.

[This message has been edited by Shotokan (edited 01-25-2004).]
Posted by: jdee2712

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 02/22/04 06:56 AM

Shotokan,
Police Oficers are generally taught technighes which are basic, but are easy to apply. The range of safety techniques may vary from force to force, but generally there are not a large number of techniques taught so that officers don't have to think in the heat of an incident. I would say that most techniques I have been taught are very similar to what you would find in Judo, Ju Jitsu & Aikido. There are a few striking techniques taught in the form of punches/elbows to the body, knee strikes to the thighs and palm strikes to the chin, but these are generally used as precursers to hands on restraint/arrest techniques.
Personally I have studied Kung Fu, Muay Thai and Judo. All have their good and bad points, but for police work I would say that Judo has been the most beneficial to me.
Posted by: Cato

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 03/05/04 03:47 AM

I liked Taiho Jutsu. I liked it because it was simple, comparatively effective for the limited training we were given and consistent.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, Taiho jutsu was what used to be taught to UK poice forces and was devised from a combination of judo and aikido. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is in any way a replacement for either of those arts, and to train in the authentic art is, in my oipinion, much better, but Taiho jutsu is okay if you have limited time and/or interest in MA.

Budo
Posted by: ourcraft

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 03/05/04 01:54 PM

In the Corps we have created our owm style. It has tooken for out of the hybrid game. We have to be very consurvative with energy but it mostly permenant damage moves. It is really a cross of Boxing,Wrestling. There are few locks we would be more willing to break an arm that trap it. Not really useful for police or everyday out on the town

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 08/02/04 01:07 AM

While I was in the military (US Army Rangers), we worked with a system that was very simple to learn and employ. This system would appear to be a lethal and very effective Ju-Jitso form (including a combat "tomanage" summersault throw).

The method is to use maximum aggresion in the employment of technique in order to cause the most destruction to one's opponent. I can vouch for it's effectiveness.

Cheers,

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 08/03/04 03:42 PM

Is there a preference of the so called modern arts over the traditional arts?
Maybe you can list the arts you study or recommend.

I think the key word is arts. Generally, cops and corrections officers do not have a lot of time to practice arts. The focus tends to be on condensed programs that provide tactics needed for specific scenarios with certain Rules of Engagement.

You will have some people say that a particular art is perfect for Law Enforcement because blah balh blah... Nonsense.

A comprehensive program will address communications, verbal and non verbal. It will address the presence and use of weapons in the scenario. It will address close quarter tactics and the clinch. It will address takedowns and avoiding them. It will address moving up and down the Use of Force Continuum, disengaging and retreating. It will address ground control and ground defense. It will address striking and blocking. It will address many things that no single art does in a comprehensive way. It is more than a collection of moves.

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 08/21/04 01:06 AM

Life long training is essential. Even if you're busy at your job, there's generally no time to have to think about what you're doing. You just do.

I study Okinawan Goju Ryu karate (which is a grappling art), Aiki Jitsu, Judo, and now recently Wing Chun. I've found all of them invaluable. In fact I mix and match philosophies, especially the Aiki principles, but now what I am learning about Wing Chun and close-quarters stuff is very revealing and easy to adapt to law enforcement.

Done well, good law enforcement technique is beautiful. And anything beautiful is an art. You have to mix and match and find what works for you. There is no one style or art that does it all.

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 10/21/04 12:38 AM

Check out this site for Military arts http://blackbeltcombat.tripod.com
its aprinciple based art.

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 10/25/04 04:35 PM

Once in a while, I watch the TV show COPS. I'm fascinated by the police arrest techniques. I worry for them. Their inability to control someone is dangerous. Quite often you see three or four officers trying to subdue someone and they struggle to do it.

Our country needs to invest more in law enforcement.

As for the military, I don't what training they receive.

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 10/26/04 03:43 PM

I’m former Air Force Security Forces same as an (MP) in other branches. I also worked as Police officer for a few years and now I’m a Bodyguard. Some of my clients work for the FBI, DEA, and the ATF. Getting a job for people of the status requires me to have the best training money can buy and also a hell of a resume. But in talking with and seeing first hand what these branches of the government teach there personal is very surprising. The have in house instructors but almost everyone of these branches a dealt out to private company’s that teach a wider spectrum of Hand to Hand, CQB, Pursuits, Anti/Counter Terrorist tactics, Defensive / E and E driving and so on. The best training I have ever seen in house was the DSS.

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 12/22/04 08:28 PM

Semper Fu(Marines Martinal Art)

Mix of

-Hapkido(ALready proven in ACtual Combat)
-Taekwondo
-JuJitsu

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 01/12/05 03:13 PM

I teach marines how to fight and i teach them a specialized Marine fighting tactics kinda like krav maga and stuff that will get them home not inside a body bag. I also teach a local martial art class and i have had a white belt student beat the living crap out of his big brother who has mastered several martial arts and it is truely a david and goliath storie. If anyone wants some katas that will scare the living crap out of an agressor email me.

Jack Stone

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 01/17/05 06:10 PM

I.S.R. and Jits - they have never failed me!

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 01/19/05 04:57 PM

murtaughdog,

Could it be....?

Naaaaahhhhhh....

Life is goooooooooood!

Welcome.

Re: What arts do you guys use in law/military? - 01/26/05 11:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karl in Phoenix:
While I was in the military (US Army Rangers[/QUOTE]

Hey there Karl...