in service training

Posted by: xerxes

in service training - 07/15/03 08:34 AM

I've heard that LEOs receive training in "defensive tactics" during police academy. For those who are(or were) cops, please describe what you were taught. What methods and techniques? What kind of drills? How many hours of training in the academy? What about baton training? How was that done?

On a related note, does your department have you practise such things on a regular basis as an official activity?
Posted by: sabakubushi

Re: in service training - 07/17/03 06:26 PM

The amount of training in the academy varies greatly from one department to another. Usually it consists of boxing, some kicking and some grappling. Some agencies are more progressive and have developed comprehensive programs that usually center around a particular art such as BJJ or Krav Maga. More time is spent with firearms and batons. Baton training is usually pretty basic. Where and how to strike, how to use it for control holds, etc. After the academy you will need to qualify at least three times a year (sometimes every other month depending on the agency)with your firearm. On going training with baton or defensive tactics is usually sporadic.
Posted by: judderman

Re: in service training - 07/18/03 04:57 PM

One quick question.

Why do you want to know?

Budo.
Posted by: xerxes

Re: in service training - 07/20/03 01:27 PM

No, Judderman, I don't want to know just so that I will be better able to fight police officers. I'm a law abiding citizen. I did chuckle when I read your question, though.

I asked just out of curiosity as I would about any fighting style; academy defensive tactics training is just another fighting art as far as I am concerned. Just trying to expand my knowledge. Also, curious to see if the government is spending my tax money properly to see that personnel are well trained and prepared for their job.
Posted by: Cato

Re: in service training - 07/29/03 08:49 AM

In the Uk the preferred method of self defence for police officers (and I believe prison officers as well (?)) was for many years a Japanese style called Taiho Jutsu, which combined some basic aikido and judo techniques, with one or two strikes.

Nowadays training involves a lot more striking to specified areas and pressure points. the theory goes that these area are still effective against peopole who may have taken drugs, alcohol or be in such a mental state that more traditional strikes don't work too well. There are still a number of takedowns, but throws (in the sense of judo throws) have been largely dismissed from the syllabus. The main consideration in training is alkways time. Techniques have to be simple so a lot of people can learn them in a little time.

Budo
Posted by: judderman

Re: in service training - 07/29/03 05:16 PM

I'm unsure if what we are taught has a specific name or indeed a core origin.

It has developed from complex series of locks and holds into simple locks and a few strikes. It is still developing and I've heard that it will be advancing further, to enable us to defend ourselves more effectively.

Unfortunatly we don't get all the "toys" that the police do.

Budo.