The importance of Gun Safety

Posted by: JMWcorwin

The importance of Gun Safety - 02/02/10 06:28 PM

I don't know if this has already been posted before. If it has, I apologize. I came accross this and just had to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pf3ID3XQ6o&feature=related

enjoy. shocked
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 02/05/10 07:19 AM

Wow, that's embarassing!
Posted by: butterfly

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 04/16/10 12:56 PM

Been around everywhere, but perhaps not here. And it is still stupid to look at and think about, especially considering he's the one who is supposed to be trained.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/02/10 08:45 AM

Freakin A

I can't believe that happened. Then he had the nerve to try and pull a demo with an even more dangerous rifle. Did you see how everyone was terrified, screaming put that down. Nobody wanted him to touch the guns anymore... As soon as he asked for another weapon I would have booked my a$$ out of the room so fast. I am already afraid of guns and now watching a DEA weapons expert shoot himself in the foot. This $hit does not inspire confidence. And just 2 days ago I was telling my brother that we should go to the shooting range and learn how to shoot a gun in order for us to get that fear out of our system.

I went to youtube and clicked on another video of this guy. The only reason we know about this is because his fellow DEA agents leaked the video clip out on youtube. WoW the DEA agents are a bunch of dick$.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/03/10 04:05 AM

No, DEA Agents aren't, "a bunch of dicks" no more than tkd guys are a bunch of tag playing sissies, lol. We have some good guys out their protecting us believe it or not.

The guy acted stupidly and I'm sure his punishment went well beyond recovering from his injuries.

He was complacent and overlooked the most important gun safety rules.

1. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy.
2. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
3. Do NOT tough the trigger until you are ready to fire.

Here are some more gun safety tips.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

I've been around firearms all my life and have seen some pretty dumb things, but this guy should have known better.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/03/10 07:29 AM

I don't think this guy acted stupid. I just think he made a mistake.

This guy is a professional, part of his job is to go around promoting firearms safety. If someone so qualified can make a mistake like this then so can anyone.

I have a real fear of guns. And knowing that stuff like this can happen does not inspire confidence. Nor does it make me wanna vote pro gun laws. I am against the right to bear arms. I feel if people aren't aloud to carry them, then the cops wont need them either.

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/03/10 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TeK9
I don't think this guy acted stupid. I just think he made a mistake.

This guy is a professional, part of his job is to go around promoting firearms safety. If someone so qualified can make a mistake like this then so can anyone.

I have a real fear of guns. And knowing that stuff like this can happen does not inspire confidence. Nor does it make me wanna vote pro gun laws. I am against the right to bear arms. I feel if people aren't aloud to carry them, then the cops wont need them either.

There's just a few problems with that logic.

Isn't murder illegal? Rape? Robbery? Illegal for felons to posess guns? These things happen all the time and the laws haven't made them go away. Do we make it MORE illegal?

The only thing that making firearms illegal would do is make it hard for law-abiding citizens to defend themselves, ask Chicagoans.

The problem is not the tool (gun) it is people.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/07/10 05:32 PM

Jiminy Christmas! Brian is right, the DEA agent became too comfortable around guns. As a gun owner, I'm constantly checking my weapon to make sure it's not loaded; not because I'm paranoid, but because my husband and I use the same gun at the gun range. I don't know if he unloaded it the last time he went down to the gun range so I double check it. We are both extra careful about making sure that it's unloaded before we go home but the other always double checks just to be on the safe side.

Tek, if you lived closer, I'd take you down to the range myself to help you out. Brian is right, don't blame the tool, blame the people.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/07/10 06:12 PM

Nice post Brian,

I agree 100% on the gun laws. The bad guys will always have guns anyway. They don't buy theirs at a gun store and register them. The only people affected by laws are people that follow the law. I also recently had the opportunity to go on a training day with a friend of mine who works for the LAPD, teaching tactical flashlight, firearms, CQB, etc. Anyway, the first thing he told us before going through the rest of the safety rules was this:

"With guns, the more you use them and the more comfortable you get with them, the more dangerous you are. Because I am wearing this gun everyday and doing this type of thing constantly, that makes me the most dangerous guy on the range today. Don't ever allow yourself to lose respect for the gun. Once you let yourself become comfortable and lose that fear, that's when you make a dumb mistake." (paraphrased, but you get the point)

I don't know if that's just somethign he was told by his instructor or if he's going with actual research numbers, but I had never thought of it that way. Seems logical, though.
Posted by: hope

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/07/10 11:23 PM

Please see the below website, which summarizes research results from Harvard Injury Control Research Center (papers on Guns and Death) with results about homicides, suicides and accidents.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html

If you legally own and take good care of guns, great. However, you are not the only person who can use your guns if they are stolen, knocked from your hand, etc; and some legal gun owners (not yourself, of course) are unstable, unpredictable when angry, lend their weapons to friends, practice while drunk and teach their cute 3 year old how to shoot. The more legal gun owners there are, the more of the above type of gun owners there are. Canada has a much lower rate of gun-related deaths than the US. Why? Gun laws, not lack of criminals.

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/10/10 02:05 AM

The U.S. has ten times as many more than Canada, so any and all crimes and/or accidents will be ten times greater.

Unstable or irresponsible gunowners are not a reason to limit access to firearms from law abiding citizens. If that were the case then we need to do the same with automobiles.
Just like anything else,education is the answer. Educating people on the use and care for firearms is the answer.

Besides, if you feel firearms are a threat or danger no one will force you to have one. wink
Posted by: hope

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/11/10 12:16 AM

Hi Brian --

The national rates are adjusted for population (still much greater in the US). I know what you mean about cars, but both the US and Canada DO have a lot of car regulations, and licensing laws, and mandatory training, and driving tests, and seatbelt laws, and removal of licenses for dangerous driving... and that's for a tool that's meant for transportation, not built to be an effective weapon. Don't you think actual weapons need effective regulation? It does keep down the ridiculous accidents. (And "law-abiding" doesn't mean much if there are no laws). People who have never thought about how to appropriately handle weapons are more numerous than the criminals -- guidelines are helpful for people to realize what is acceptable, "law-abiding' behavior). I agree with you that education is key.

By the way, many Canadians do own guns (there are gun clubs in the cities, and outside those people need them for hunting and critter control among other uses, and marksmanship is a valued skill), and my husband, a US Navy vet who has owned and appreciated a variety of weapons, tells me that he is very comfortable with the gun laws here. His brother, retired from the LAPD, was irritated at having to leave his gun in storage at the border, but didn't mind that he was visiting a country where other people on the street were also not carrying.

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 05/11/10 05:26 PM

I'm certainly comfortable with the laws in my home state, Arkansas. We can get a concealed carry license and have access to just about any firearm we might want.

the regulations in California are ridiculous. Only certain handguns are on their approved list to own. The governing body has deemed more than ten rounds in a handgun is too much and made them illegal. All of their regulations have not stopped criminals from getting their hands on guns of any type they want. The problem is not the law abiding citizen, but the criminals who pay no attention to the law.

Have a look here and do some reading. Thanks!

http://www.gunfacts.info/

smile
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 07/25/10 06:31 AM

What Brians said. If you make gun ownership against the law criminals will still easily get them. That's proven. I believe that has happened in chicago. And even if criminals didn't have guns they would still be violent. I can't exactly imagine vicious Latin Kings or MS13 guys suddenly being compassionate and peaceful due to a lack of guns. Guns were created i nthe 1600s and people were plenty violent before that.
I dont particularly want to be caught in a gun fight without a gun. Now I'm not sure every needs 20 guns for self protection (I only keep a .357 in a copartment under my headboard and an 1873 .22). But it's comforting to have a couple.
Personally I think we should do like the ISraelis and make miltiary service mandatory for at least 2 and a half or 3 years. That would all but solve issues of gun safety. I know in the Army the slightest safety mistake is severely punished (I've seen guys get body slammed for running with weapons on semi haha).
All this being said I do think at least background check should be required before buying guns as well as yearly qualification on a safety course by owners. Wouldn't hurt and it's not a big inconvienence.
About Canada not having as many gun related deaths or violence-Canadians are hoenstly much more peaceful people than Americans. Canada doesn't have places like Compton, or the Ibraville Projects, Newark, Destroit, etc. I bet there is a lower rate of all forms of violence and crime in Canada (yet somehow you guys have a pretty decent military).
Posted by: cxt

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 07/26/10 11:50 AM

One thing that people might think about is the oft touted figure of gun viloence being much lower in nations with strict guns laws and in some places that don't allow people to own guns is where the guns came from in the 1st place.

Or a phrased another way......why is there ANY gun violence in a place where people are:

A-Not supposed to have ANY guns

B-Supply is tightly controlled and there are MANY restrictions and hurdles to jump through.

Posted by: MattJ

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 07/26/10 02:28 PM

Good points all around. Gun control is a very difficult issue, and one that I personally can't really make up my mind about. I do agree that gun laws are not going to prevent criminals from commiting crimes with guns, but I think that ignores the fact that there are many legal gun-owning idiots. We've all seen the stories about morons (and /or their children) and guns, and the consequences.

Gun control laws probably have these people in mind, as well. FWIW.

Very complicated issue, though.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: The importance of Gun Safety - 07/27/10 01:37 AM

I'd also like to state that in places where gun violence has gone down due to laws, assault and murder with other weapons has increased or not decreased anyway. I believe we can do more to prevent acts of stupidity with guns but I'm not in favor of using that as excuse to remove guns completely and infringe on our freedom. To me that means more.